Cleaning the chrome bodies

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What is the best way to carefully clean the camera's chrome surfaces, without harming it or artificially shining it? I have some old LTM cameras (3B, 3C, etc.) that appear to be hardly ever used, but seem to have slightly dulled chrome, possibly atmospheric particulates, dust, grit, finger oil, etc. They have no dings or rust, and even the little accessory clip on top shows no wear due to flash or viewfinder being attached.

Alan Dash

Alan,

I have always used IPA for this task, used sparingly it will remove most grime and residues. Make sure it is of the purest grade as some is available mixed with too much water and other contaminants.

Best,

normclarke.

Artwork restorers have been using spit to clean oil paintings for years, the enzymes in saliva loosens the proteins. This works well on cameras, just moisten a q-tip with spit and gently wipe away the accumulated dirt. For ribbed knobs a cocktail stick can be used.

• Like 1

Artwork restorers have been using spit to clean oil paintings for years, the enzymes in saliva loosens the proteins. This works well on cameras, just moisten a q-tip with spit and gently wipe away the accumulated dirt. For ribbed knobs a cocktail stick can be used.

Warnings Before to begin: Do not eat garlic or onions for two days at least, and use new toothpicks! :D:D

Warnings Before to begin: Do not eat garlic or onions for two days at least, and use new toothpicks! :D:D

I know you wrote in jest but the sulphur compounds in those two foodstuffs are quite capable of tarnishing several metals.

Used some 99.95% IPA to clean up the chrome on my new old M4 and Summicron DR. Wow, they look brand new, so great suggestion!

Of course, I thought I'd be slick and try and clean out a little dust inside of the camera in front of the cloth shutter (behind the lens ring) and a touch of dark finish/paint came off on the IPA wipe. Nothing to write home about, and I assume I didn't screw anything up (or I hope I didn't)?

~Dan