Leica response to the Apo-Summicron 50mm flare problem

ALD

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Several people have stated that there is a flare problem with the apo-summicron 50mm. I was going to place an order for this lens and buy it. Now I am not so sure anymore, because at the price they are selling them for I would hate to have problems with it that are then fixed up in version II. As I really expect the value of these lenses to increase or not significantly depreciate, (dont have spare money to risk or waste) if the first version is regarded as a dud and everyone then seeks version II, I would be left with a less than desirable lens.

So I would like to know if anybody has sent their apo-summicron 50mm back to Solms and got a response on the flaring problem? Is this a problem restricted to all batches or just certain ones or is it every lens? Is there a real problem with the lens or is it just a quirk that requires one to adapt ones shooting style to avoid the issue?

Could somebody please ask Leica or perhaps Erwin Puts what they think?

Seriously though.....I have had a copy of the APO 50 on my MM for two weeks, shooting landscapes in differing weather conditions, and with a lot of low winter sun to contend with.

I have had one huge flare episode (see example photo in the post specifically regarding this topic) but I honestly think any lens would have behaved similarly under those particular

circumstances and I did deliberately provoke it. I have had no problem with the "central fogging" issue as others seem to have had. This is a wonderful little lens, I would recommend

it without reservation and can honestly say I have no regrets about purchasing it.

However it is an expensive lens, so if you personally have reservations you should probably adopt a wait and see approach, what can you lose?

• Like 1

...if the first version is regarded as a dud and everyone then seeks version II, I would be left with a less than desirable lens...

Same feeling here and i don't intend to be bothered by such a flare anyway. I've posponed my order and won't change my mind until i'm sure the problem is fixed by Leica.

• Like 3

Several people have stated that there is a flare problem with the apo-summicron 50mm. I was going to place an order for this lens and buy it. Now I am not so sure anymore, because at the price they are selling them for I would hate to have problems with it that are then fixed up in version II. As I really expect the value of these lenses to increase or not significantly depreciate, (dont have spare money to risk or waste) if the first version is regarded as a dud and everyone then seeks version II, I would be left with a less than desirable lens.

So I would like to know if anybody has sent their apo-summicron 50mm back to Solms and got a response on the flaring problem? Is this a problem restricted to all batches or just certain ones or is it every lens? Is there a real problem with the lens or is it just a quirk that requires one to adapt ones shooting style to avoid the issue?

Could somebody please ask Leica or perhaps Erwin Puts what they think?

I am going to send mine back to Solms, with files of images, so will find out soon enough what Leica plan to do! Just to be clear, I love this lens when wide open...and really hope they can fix it. But I can't also be left wandering the world (as a travel photographer) and not being 100% confident in it not letting me down. I need to be confident that it can shoot at least up to f8 with no central flaring. And the conditions I shot the sample images, which clearly show the problem, really were not shot in anything like extreme conditions.

• Like 3

Is there any reason why you don't ask Leica yourself?

Leica Technical and Service Helpline

If you require technical assistance about your Leica product or it requires servicing, repair or spare parts, please contact our professional team who will ensure you get best advice. In addition, where necessary, they will ensure that your Leica product will undergo professional servicing or repair with original Leica spare parts.

Address:

Leica Camera AG

Leica Customer Care

Solmser Gewerbepark 8

35606 Solms

Phone:

06442 - 208 189

Fax:

06442 - 208 339

E-mail:

• Like 3

if the first version is regarded as a dud and everyone then seeks version II, I would be left with a less than desirable lens

On the contrary, if this lens is immediately replaced with a redesign the original flarey model will become even more desirable. The 50 Apo "glow" or "classic", as it will inevitably be dubbed, will fetch a huge price premium over the anodyne if perfect Mk II. Thiings work differently in the weird and wonderful world of Leica.

• Like 2

Seriously though.....I have had a copy of the APO 50 on my MM for two weeks, shooting landscapes in differing weather conditions, and with a lot of low winter sun to contend with.

I have had one huge flare episode (see example photo in the post specifically regarding this topic) but I honestly think any lens would have behaved similarly under those particular

circumstances and I did deliberately provoke it. I have had no problem with the "central fogging" issue as others seem to have had. This is a wonderful little lens, I would recommend

it without reservation and can honestly say I have no regrets about purchasing it.

However it is an expensive lens, so if you personally have reservations you should probably adopt a wait and see approach, what can you lose?

I have not had any issues either with the central fogging. I tried several renditions on a tripod with no filter and no hood extended. I would be curious to know how many have been produced and how many are having an issue. Is it 1% 10% or what.

• Like 2