Hot pixel on M240

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

Just to report some hot pixels from fairly new M240 tonight. Interestingly they occur under different conditions. Although I have no problem when the image is well exposed, it seems they appear when the picture is dark/very dark, but it is not always the case. The ISO does not make any difference, I see the problem in both low and high ISO.

Does anyone know how to remap the sensor? I used to do that easily on the 5DII and 5DIII.

Best,

Richard

Hi,

Just to report some hot pixels from fairly new M240 tonight. Interestingly they occur under different conditions. Although I have no problem when the image is well exposed, it seems they appear when the picture is dark/very dark, but it is not always the case. The ISO does not make any difference, I see the problem in both low and high ISO.

Does anyone know how to remap the sensor? I used to do that easily on the 5DII and 5DIII.

Best,

Richard

Leica is the only one that can remap sensors.

Show an example of the hot pixels?

there you go, one white, one red... I guess it's the Leica red dot...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

there you go, one white, one red... I guess it's the Leica red dot...

My good friend, in this regard, I'm "richer" than you are. I have 4 red ones :D. See my post below:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-forum/286709-magnified-lv-shows-dust.html

I tried looking for them in my photos but seems I'm unable to spot them (thank goodness). The thought of sending it back to Germany and not having the camera for a month, or maybe more, doesn't quite appeal to me. I am shelving this matter for now until such time that there is another need for me to send it in in the future. Or when my next work project zaps me of my time for a month - then it'll be easier for me to decide.

Until that day comes, I'm happy taking pictures.

PKH

• 4 years later...

Some internet blog says the hot pixel comes and goes but some don't.  Do I need to ship my M to Leica for re mapping?

Sensors work using atomic scale structures. These can be disturbed by all kinds of radiation. It’s normal but rare.

only Leica can remap hot pixels. I would have it done but working round it in Lightroom is trivial. It may be heat sensitive so it could appear to go away with short exposures. Conversely it could only show up with short exposures.

Edited by Exodies

Some internet blog says the hot pixel comes and goes but some don't. Do I need to ship my M to Leica for re mapping?

Not necessarily. Send Leica a couple sample images. They may send you a firmware fix to map out the pixels.

Hi JD, thanks for the head's up. Do I forward the image to my local Leica dealer or Leica Germany? Thanks again.

From what I’ve seen in the past here ... directly to Germany or you can try Leica USA.

Edited by jdlaing

Some internet blog says the hot pixel comes and goes but some don't.  Do I need to ship my M to Leica for re mapping?

Folklore tells us to put the camera  (inside a plastic bag) in the deep-freezer overnight. As far as I'm concerned it is a myth, but you never know. I take no liability...

Hot pixels come and go on my three M's...two M8's and my M-P (240).

I've taken same pic and one or two hot pixels varied in their intensity. Same time same exposure. Low ISO. Final pic usually shows no hot pixels. In both raw and JPG...in Lightroom.

Electronica has a mind of it's own, imo.

I just accept it, easy to spot out.

Edited by david strachan