Hidden Menu on M8

romanvail

Okay -- I dont think it's standard... what IS standard is the DNG+JPG. The "JPG+RAW" option only comes up once I access the debug menu...etc. But when I take a picture a strange format pops up and not an actual picture preview.

Sorry, all digital Ms have this option in the "set" menu, always have had. It is, in fact the only way to get a B&W preview on your LCD on the M8 and M9.

Btw, there is a hidden menu, but it is for service purposes and does not access the file format.

Sorry, all digital Ms have this option in the "set" menu, always have had. It is, in fact the only way to get a B&W preview on your LCD on the M8 and M9.

Btw, there is a hidden menu, but it is for service purposes and does not access the file format.

....and this hidden menue is TOP SECRET, only NSA knows this!:D

John

• Like 2

It's not hidden, it is just an standard option to save a JPG file as well as the raw DNG file.

You can use the JPG file for a guide when you want to adjust your raw file in post processing.

What we are missing is that he highlighted another menu than the one he means. :( ;Yes - jpeg+raw is in the debug menu . It contains uncompressed raw data. ( See LFI 1 or 2 from 2007 if memory serves.) Those data can only be read with specific software which Leica does not make available to outside parties.

Maybe Bibble can convert it.

Edited by jaapv
  • Like 1

The OP's pic was self explanatory IMO.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The OP's pic was self explanatory IMO.

That's exactly what I mean... perhaps it's connected to the other option in "the hidden menu" for using "Two Channel Corr."?

I know Kodak made the sensor for Leica M8 and the option is there to use this all but I guess Leica never followed through when Kodak folded and the camera war began?!

I know very well the menu for repair.

It was most definitely not obvious that op was referring to that menu IMHO.

An image of that repair menu would have been the obvius to post, not an image of the std menu...

And to suggest shooting while in that menu would be taking a big risk IMHO.

Good luck shooting unreadable RAW files!

Sorry I have wasted your time :)

Edited by Erik Gunst Lund

I know very well the menu for repair.

It was most definitely not obvious that op was referring to that menu IMHO.

An image of that repair menu would have been the obvius to post, not an image of the std menu...

And to suggest shooting while in that menu would be taking a big risk IMHO.

Good luck shooting unreadable RAW files!

Sorry I have wasted your time :)

Thanks for your input... I am not planning on using the new Standard Menu option that popped up on the screen after entering the Repair Menu. I was merely asking -- nice, good, more experienced Leica users -- to put it plainly: WTF?

What should've been obvious, since that is what people are choosing to focus on, is that there was a new option in the standard menu which doesnt appear when you very standardly turn the M8 on. These are just questions and i appreciate all of you who answered my initial post. Really, thank you!

• Like 1

Hello everyone!

Till now I haven't participated in the forum so this is my first entry. This RAW+fine-jpg option made me curious so I had a go with my M8 and fiddled a little bit around with the resulting RAW file.

I was able to extract the image data :) As far as I can see from my 4 test images the image dimension equals 3968x2647. That is a few pixels more than the jpg file (3936x2624).

Additionally the values range from 0 to 16384 (which make it 14 bit data in a 16 bit file).

Interestingly in my first test shot which was captured with ISO 1250 the data also contained values from 0 to 16384 but a lot of the values in the histogram were empty. In fact only about 2048 unique values were available (that equals 11bit). So that might explain to some extent the loss in image quality (I guess).

The next step would be to put the raw data in some file which could then be debayered and processed further. I only have a mediocre debayering method at hand right now so the result's rather appalling. Well not that bad but you know...

To wrap it up:

shooting RAW+fine jpg enables to capture the 14bit sensor output in most cases. The file size increases to 20MB+some for the jpg. The image is a little bit larger in both dimensions. Postprocessing should be more flexible as there are more discrete values to start with (compared to the 8bit DNG).

If someone is interested in further work or information please let me know!

Cheers,

Arvid

PS: sorry for the long post!

• Like 2