Attention all Noctilux 0.95 owners.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Good for you Neil-glad you've got a plan in place. Remember do not get upset with the people you ask for comment. We all do not work on an oil rig, so we come from different disciplines.

So for me, the 0.95 used to be about 10% of the time, but ever since I have the APO 50 that is cut in half although I must say I like all my 50's. I have about 10 now with 2 Noctis and 2 APO's (one for the MM and one for one of my M's).

Each 50 renders differently, even the new 50/1.4, 50/0.95 and the APO 50/2.0.

Cheers mate...........I sometimes forget that I am not talking with my mates on the rig:D
  • Like 1

Neil,

I bought the Noctilux as my discount lens when I bought an M8. It was the reward for going through the original issues with the M8. The purchase price at the time was $2,735. I used it a little but also had another 50 f1.4 so I sold it for a large profit. I regretted it for years and when I was again able to purchase one and I got the current model. Its not that I use it that much but with retirement coming up soon I have plans for more photography trips.

No Problem Paul.......

I will get the Noctilux 0.95 and a MM when I come back from my next hitch in Nigeria next month and will probably end up buying the new M240 whenever one of those comes available............. probably next year:mad:

Sounds like a good plan....don't forget to update this thread when you have had your Nocti long enough to have worked out how frequently you use it as your "everyday lens". :)

Okay, it wasn't raining today, so I grabbed my Monochrom, Noctilux and 50 Summilux and went for a ride. I took three sets - the first two handheld at f/1.4 and f/2, the third on a tripod through my garage door.

Sorry the images aren't very exciting, but I guess it's not really the point of this exercise.

Nocti first, then Summilux, ISO 320, f/1.4 @ 1/3000

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Nocti first, then Summilux, ISO 320 f/2 @ 1/2,000

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Now on a tripod. The light changed slightly for the Summilux shot, so I have tried to match the exposure.

Nocti first @1/ 2,000, the Summilux @ 1/1,000, both ISO 320 and f/1.4

So that's €6000 price difference and a lot more weight to carry. I do not see it but maybe my eyes are getting old. I never decided for a Noctilux because I can't get over the 1m as the closest distance to object. It's such a paradox for such a lens. Stick to the Summilux 75 if you want selective focus

Guest borge
So that's €6000 price difference and a lot more weight to carry. I do not see it but maybe my eyes are getting old. I never decided for a Noctilux because I can't get over the 1m as the closest distance to object. It's such a paradox for such a lens. Stick to the Summilux 75 if you want selective focus

Well honestly that comparison doesn't show the Noctilux at 0.95 which is what you pay that extra huge lump of money for.

The Summilux 50 ASPH is a very high-contrast lens and the Noctilux has lower contrast at lower apertures, and in many cases it is desireable to achieve lower contrast shots on the MM to get the most out of it. But other than that I'm in the same ballpark as you, I'd rather have 3 exceptionally good lenses versus one extra stop (basically since the lenses are very comparable in every other way).

I've tried focusing my Summilux at 1 meter as well, just to see how it would be to use a Noctilux... And there's a huge difference between 0,7 meter and 1 meter focusing distances. Huge. Especially for indoor use.

I've tried focusing my Summilux at 1 meter as well, just to see how it would be to use a Noctilux... And there's a huge difference between 0,7 meter and 1 meter focusing distances. Huge. Especially for indoor use.

Especially with portraits, a realm where you would especially want this nice-drawing lens. Let alone children's portraits

On the last few ocasions I have gone out with the intention of covering an event seriously..... rather than the odd snap..... I took my M240 and MM with Nocti 0.95 and 75/2.

The Nocti on the M240 produces very saturated and intense images that at sub f1.4 really look quite unique. I'm not sure you will get the true character of the Noctilux on the MM .... although for true very low light shots you will avoid all the chromatic aberrations when used wide open in B&W.

I have spells when I use it constantly .... and the results are always very rewarding .... and you have the bonus of an 'ordinary' 50mm lens thrown in as well. It's also VERY easy and accurate to focus.

It's a love it or hate it lens .......

Personally I dislike the 50/1.4 ..... I've found it poorly calibrated in the past, more difficult to focus..... and the results always seem to be missing something compared to the 50/0.95. Fine as it might be.... it lacks character and I have never got on with it.....:o

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS
Especially with portraits, a realm where you would especially want this nice-drawing lens. Let alone children's portraits

Shoot at 1 meter and crop. .......waalaa

• Like 2

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Please stay on topic this is for owners of the noctilux 0.95

I had one of those Noctilux moments today.

I’ve mostly been shooting with my M Monochrom and my Fuji X100s lately. The M9 has been getting a bit short shrift in the last month or two, a lot because the indoor color rendition and high-ISO performance had been bothering me lately.

Anyway, I was going to brunch this morning with my wife, daughter and my parents; I decided to bring the M9 and the Noctilux even though I rarely take it out in the daylight. I figured, the aperture would allow a lower ISO indoors. I took a bunch of photos, but totally nailed this one.

The lens is a beast, it’s expensive, it’s easy to miss focus at f/0.95 and it’s a good test of your rangefinder calibration. That said, it has a character all its own. I own the Noctilux, Summilux and Summicron and they all have their own uses and characters.

Sarah - Group f/2

-jbl

• Like 1

Portraits of children.....? use a Noctilux....why not.

This "portrait" was just a snapshot moment in very low light conditions with the Nocti at f0.95 and the M9=ISO 160.

Because of the one metre restriction this image has been fairly severely cropped, the quality of the equipment allows for this.

Love this lens!

• Like 4

Here is another portrait with Noctilux.

• Like 2

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS
[ATTACH]386043[/ATTACH]

Here is another portrait with Noctilux.

thanks for sharing. ......lovely sharp pictures
  • Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS
I am using Noctilux in more than 50 % of all my shots. My other lenses are 28'cron, 35'lux and 75'cron.

This photo was shot with B+W 60mm 1.8 ND MRC 106M filter. (6 stop exposure)

zdb2.jpg

WoW Fantastic shot........thanks for sharing :)
  • Like 1