Attention all Noctilux 0.95 owners.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks Paul.

It seems like people are thinking I don't have the resources well I have a great job that pays well and yes I can afford to splash out 11k on a lens and like the thread theme states I am just trying to see what the guys that have the Noctilux use on a daily basis, is it there Noctilux or something else as what I am thinking is I want a one lens set up with the MM and a one lens set up with the M when that comes out next year.......if for example 75% of the replies to my question is the Noctilux is used 25% of the time then I may rethink what I get but if 50% or above say that the Noctilux is on the camera 50% of the time then I will stick with my gut feeling and get one............again its not got anything to do with the money

I don't believe anyone here is questioning your funds. Why would they? There are many people here with a Noctilux. No one gets questioned. I think you should leave that out of it if that's a concern for you. It isn't for anyone else.

I think a purchase like this comes down to one thing. Do you have a use for it. The Noctilux functions as a completely normal and high performance 50mm lens if you want it to. THe thing that differentiates it is that it offers something extra unique. To me, I based the decision on my assumption that I get a normal lens and I love the unique look it also provides. Really, only you can decide this.

I think where your questions falls short is people who have 100% love for this lens may not be able to use it 100% of the time because they need to use other focal lengths too but I do wish there was a 35mm Noctilux too if that's of any help/gauge.

I use this as an everyday lens. It's perfectly capable to do so and that's why it costs so much. Seriously, stopped down this thing is a sight to behold.

I spent about a month looking quite intensively at pictures on the net before I decided. When I was done I knew for certain I wanted it. Really, only you can make that decision.

I'll end by saying this - there is no other lens like it. Wether that is for you or not is only for you to decide.

Edited by Paul J
  • Like 4

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS
What I don't understand is:

a) why you would give a shit what others think about their Noctilux and how often they are using it;

B) why you think we give a shit whether you buy one or not.

I don't

What a rude response' date=' given the time that Bo must have taken to offer his advice!

I think you just want to read lots of "It's the best lens, buy one now" responses to convince yourself.[/quote']

Agreed. Bo's response was very informative if not a bit OT. No need to respond that way to him

• Like 2

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS
Agreed. Bo's response was very informative if not a bit OT. No need to respond that way to him

OMFG I can't believe this thread has turned into this.

I just wanted to know if the pompous gaggies liked shooting rabbits

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS
Do I need to call your dad and let him know you are skipping school and accessing his LUF account??!?

He died 5 years ago

I used the Noctilux (old version) for several years. The lens was outstanding.

BUT if compare it with the new Summilux I think that you save a lot of money and you will have basically the same results.

People (including myself) buy the noctilux just to have the last "Beaujolais nouveau", to own the most important leica lens.

Comparing to the performance and the weight of the summilux, the noctilux is useless.

This is only my personal thinking,

Gab

A short time after I bought my M9, I had the opportunity to try a Noctilux-M 50 mm 1:0.95 Asph for a day and a half. I was impressed by the high speed, the shallow depth-of-field, the out-of-focus rendition, and the performance wide open. But I hated the absurdly big size, the absurdly heavy weight, and the absurdly high price. I figured the Summilux-M 50 mm 1:1.4 Asph (which I already had) is a much more judicious choice for a fast 50 mm lens.

Two years later I abandoned sanity and eventually bought that damned Noctilux. Happy camper now. :cool:

• Like 4

A short time after I bought my M9, I had the opportunity to try a Noctilux-M 50 mm 1:0.95 Asph for a day and a half. I was impressed by the high speed, the shallow depth-of-field, the out-of-focus rendition, and the performance wide open. But I hated the absurdly big size, the absurdly heavy weight, and the absurdly high price. I figured the Summilux-M 50 mm 1:1.4 Asph (which I already had) is a much more judicious choice for a fast 50 mm lens.

Two years later I abandoned sanity and eventually bought that damned Noctilux. Happy camper now. :cool:

Resistance is futile!

• Like 3

Here you can see a direct comparison between the Summilux and Noctilux on the same camera with the same settings (except difference in aperture).

As you can see they share the same image signature wide open.

Noctilux vs. Summilux Wide open shootout.: Leica Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Thanks for linking this, Bo.

There is a clear difference in oof rendition - some may like the Noct wide open, some may prefer the Summilux. I prefer the Noct. A more telling comparison would be both lenses at 1.4. If I get the chance, I will try to do that comparison - wintry here, which can mean lovely light. I just need a nice subject and interesting background.

Will post here if I get something worthwhile.

Cheers

John

Here you can see a direct comparison between the Summilux and Noctilux on the same camera with the same settings (except difference in aperture).

As you can see they share the same image signature wide open.

Noctilux vs. Summilux Wide open shootout.: Leica Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Thank you for posting this link. I think it tells the tale; the Nocti is unique. But it can also be a beast of a lens.

I must admit I had particular sentimental reasons for choosing it in the first place rather than the Summilux. I will never part with it. But it is probably not a day to day lens for everyone.

Dee.

It may be comparing apples and oranges but I it's a common question - how the bokeh compares between the two lenses when both are wide open. There is a big difference, the Noctilux knocks out more detail at 0.95 and that is the reason for this test in the link above it seems. It also has some other characteristics like some swirl in the bokeh (although it's quite well restrained compared to the f1) which I've not seen in the Summilux at 1.4

To say these two lenses are the same except for the extra speed is both wrong and missing the point. It really is like comparing apples and oranges.

Sorry Neil, I don't have an MM to give any samples.

• Like 3

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Sorry Neil, I don't have an MM to give any samples.

No Problem Paul.......

Thanks for all the feed back, "the banter was good" I will get the Noctilux 0.95 and a MM when I come back from my next hitch in Nigeria next month and will probably end up buying the new M240 whenever one of those comes available............. probably next year:mad:

• Like 1

Good for you Neil-glad you've got a plan in place. Remember do not get upset with the people you ask for comment. We all do not work on an oil rig, so we come from different disciplines.

So for me, the 0.95 used to be about 10% of the time, but ever since I have the APO 50 that is cut in half although I must say I like all my 50's. I have about 10 now with 2 Noctis and 2 APO's (one for the MM and one for one of my M's).

Each 50 renders differently, even the new 50/1.4, 50/0.95 and the APO 50/2.0.

• Like 2