Attention all Noctilux 0.95 owners.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Guys I have a quick question, out of all you guys that own a 0.95 Noctilux lens how often do you use it for everyday shooting

1. Rarely………stays in the dry box
  2. 25% of the time
  3. 50% of the time
  4. 75% of the time
  5. 100% of the time…..never off the camera

I want to buy one but keep hearing mainly from people that don't own one that I shouldn't buy one and that I should buy this or that instead. So I am interested in hearing what people that OWN this lens really think of it and how often they use it.

Maybe you can post up a picture or two to show me why you use it or don't use it

Many thanks in advance

Neil

Nobody said you shouldn't buy one. Everybody was telling you you should only buy one if you have a clear vision of the use you are going to put it to and whether it will add anything significant to your photography.

Edited by jaapv
  • Like 8

Actually there are just two reasons for buying the Noctilux. Either the image the lens projects or the image you project carrying the lens. If the former consider what it can/will do for your photography. Looking at your images I think you will have to adapt your style - are you willing to do so? If the latter it will enable you to blend in at Orthodontists' congresses *. Are you really anxious to do that?

*With sincere apologies to my dear colleagues for the slur. I was just trying to make a point....:o

Edited by jaapv
  • Like 1

I rarely leave home without it either on my camera or in my bag.

Random shot I found in LR.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Nobody said you shouldn't buy one. Everybody was telling you you should only buy one if you have a clear vision of the use you are going to put it to and whether tit will add anything significant to your photography.

Jaap if i had listen to 90% of the comments on the other thread I would have not bought one

Anyway I would like to see what the folks on this thread have to say

Thanks

I just purchased the Noctilux about two weeks ago.

Previously, I was exclusively shooting the 35mm Summilux FLE 100% since getting my M9-P in late 2011.

The Noctilux is fantastic and has met all my expectations thus far. I bought it primarily for the narrow DOF and the 50mm framing... but at 1m min focusing distance (compared to 0.7m on the 35mm Lux), it has been a very interesting learning experience as I find myself having to take a step back from where I would typically be standing using the Summilux for the close in shots. Also, the notch on the 35mm focusing ring made a huge difference in my focus response... I kinda wish the Noctilux had a notch to focus quicker with one finger.

The Noctilux will take some time to learn how to use properly, but so far, I have had zero regrets. On day one, I was getting images from the Noctilux wide open that are just not possible with the 35mm Lux.

Down the line, I could easily see myself being at 75% usage for the Noctilux lens and 25% with the 35mm. I find that indoors, nighttime, low light, and social settings the Noctilux would be my automatic go-to lens. I think the 35mm is slightly better for landscapes and outdoor (daytime) shooting - and the lighter weight 35mm lens is nicer to handle for day-long shoots.

• Like 1

I have had the 0.95 Noctilux, and no other lens, on my MM since taking delivery of the camera last December. So that is 100%.

The Noctilux will do everything you could possibly want and do it well and will do plenty of trick stuff as well, you can't go wrong as long as it really is a 50mm lens you want to purchase. I have only one reservation and that is the weight of it.

I do a lot of walking for landscape photography and after a few hours do find it tends to become very heavy: a pain in the neck actually. So....I have an APO50 about to arrive which I intend put on the MM for the walking trips and will switch the

Nocti to the M9, which does less walking, this is for one reason only; that Nocti is such a heavy beast.

Note: this is the point of view of a female.

• Like 1

I'm impressed, I'm so attached to being able to travel light, I couldn't see using a Noctilux as my only lens. For me, the eye opener as a former Canon user was that in the Canon space, you had to go L to get decent glass. Those lenses were always faster and heavier. With Leitz, the lenses are all so great, you don't need to go heavier and faster to get better optics. At least that's my take. The end result is I end up having multiple lenses at the same focal length depending on my situation.

Still, I'm impressed.

-jbl

• Like 2

Guest borge

Nobody told you not to buy a Noctilux in the previous thread.

I was only providing feedback based on my own dilemma that I had earlier.

As I said, my local dealer here has a new Noctilux 0.95 in stock. It is the same supplier that also had a MM, 50 Lux ASPH and 35 FLE in stock, so I have never had to stand in the waiting line, and I could pick up the Noctilux in 30 minutes if I wanted to (I can afford it as well).

It seems like you really want the Noctilux but you apparently need some confirmation from others wether it is the right choice to spend that much money on a lens. You're not sure if it's worth the huge price it carries, and that is perfectly fine because it is an extremely expensive 50mm lens!

So I'm pretty much gonna sum up my own thought process regrading the Noctilux and Summilux:

1. Unless you use the extra stop of light (0.95 vs 1.4) on the Noctilux extensively for your work, and/or your work requires it, or you desire to use it often, there is no point in getting a Noctilux over a Summilux as they share a very similar optical signature at aperture 1.4 and up.

2. Both lenses are pretty much just as sharp from aperture 1.4 and up.

3. The Summilux will focus down to 0,7 meter and the Noctilux will focus down to 1 meter. That is a big difference depending on your usage - Especially for indoor use and portraits.

4. The Noctilux will introduce CA and other artifacts at wide apertures whereas the Summilux is more controlled in this area.

5. The Noctilux is much bigger and over twice the weight of the Summilux. They share the same optical formula from aperture 1.4 and up, so unless you shoot it at 0.95 quite often I really don't see any reason to hurt your neck by dragging the Noctilux around.

6. If you can afford a Summicron/Summilux and a Noctilux - go for it! As others have said, the Noctilux can be a magical lens if you really learn to use it properly. Few of the owners do though, and if you shoot it at f/4 it is very neutral - just like the Summilux and Summicron, and nobody will ever know that it's a "Noctilux shot" unless you use it wide open.

7. The Noctilux is one of the most traded Leica lenses on the market. Many people buy it to have owned it and tried it and then sell it. The reason is clear: It's a extremely expensive 50mm lens. It won't make your photos any better than any other 50mm lens. Your eyes and creativity are just as important as with any other 50mm lens.

8. Many people purchase the Noctilux just to own it. Just because they want the best (not all ofcourse!). And that is perfectly fine. Some people buy ferrari's and tuck them away in garages as well. And that's fine! I don't see the point however. If you're not going to use it to it's full potential then what's the point? It won't make you a better person, photographer, or anything really.

I advise you to rent one and try it out for a while. At least go to a store that has one in stock and try it out and compare it to it's alternatives before you make up your mind. And if you really really want the Noctilux, and it is your dream lens - just purchase it. You can sell it without much loss anyway, depending on where you are. Used Noctilux'es loose about 15-20% of their 2nd hand value here in Norway after a couple of months of gentle use because thay are not hard to find in stock. And in some places they go up in 2nd hand value because the demand is much greater than the supply.

Edited by borge

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS
Nobody told you not to buy a Noctilux in the previous thread.

I was only providing feedback based on my own dilemma that I had earlier.

As I said, my local dealer here has a new Noctilux 0.95 in stock. It is the same supplier that also had a MM, 50 Lux ASPH and 35 FLE in stock, so I have never had to stand in the waiting line, and I could pick up the Noctilux in 30 minutes if I wanted to (I can afford it as well).

It seems like you really want the Noctilux but you apparently need some confirmation from others wether it is the right choice to spend that much money on a lens. You're not sure if it's worth the huge price it carries, and that is perfectly fine because it is an extremely expensive 50mm lens!

So I'm pretty much gonna sum up my own thought process regrading the Noctilux and Summilux:

1. Unless you use the extra stop of light (0.95 vs 1.4) on the Noctilux extensively for your work, and/or your work requires it, or you desire to use it often, there is no point in getting a Noctilux over a Summilux as they share a very similar optical signature at aperture 1.4 and up.

2. Both lenses are pretty much just as sharp from aperture 1.4 and up.

3. The Summilux will focus down to 0,7 meter and the Noctilux will focus down to 1 meter. That is a big difference depending on your usage - Especially for indoor use and portraits.

4. The Noctilux will introduce CA and other artifacts at wide apertures whereas the Summilux is more controlled in this area.

5. The Noctilux is much bigger and over twice the weight of the Summilux. They share the same optical formula from aperture 1.4 and up, so unless you shoot it at 0.95 quite often I really don't see any reason to hurt your neck by dragging the Noctilux around.

6. If you can afford a Summicron/Summilux and a Noctilux - go for it! As others have said, the Noctilux can be a magical lens if you really learn to use it properly. Few of the owners do though, and if you shoot it at f/4 it is very neutral - just like the Summilux and Summicron, and nobody will ever know that it's a "Noctilux shot" unless you use it wide open.

7. The Noctilux is one of the most traded Leica lenses on the market. Many people buy it to have owned it and tried it and then sell it. The reason is clear: It's a extremely expensive 50mm lens. It won't make your photos any better than any other 50mm lens. Your eyes and creativity are just as important as with any other 50mm lens.

8. Many people purchase the Noctilux just to own it. Just because they want the best (not all ofcourse!). And that is perfectly fine. Some people buy ferrari's and tuck them away in garages as well. And that's fine! I don't see the point however. If you're not going to use it to it's full potential then what's the point? It won't make you a better person, photographer, or anything really.

I advise you to rent one and try it out for a while. At least go to a store that has one in stock and try it out and compare it to it's alternatives before you make up your mind.

HELLO

What the hell has that got to do with the topic of this thread.........if you have a Noctilux how often do you use it and can you post up a picture.......thats the topic

thank you

Guest borge
HELLO

What the hell has that got to do with the topic of this thread.........if you have a Noctilux how often do you use it and can you post up a picture.......thats the topic

thank you

You are right. My apologies. Your inital post just made me feel like I had to summarize the facts for you, before you made the choice:

Thanks for sharing this but I am confused, Like I said in my opening post I have googled the s%$£ out of the Noctilux and everyone who has one says that is what they shoot 95% of the time Day or Night wide open.....daytime with ND filter.

The Noctilux isn't a lens you buy with your head though. But with your heart. So... Just do it if it feels like the right decision :) I'll shut up now.

Neil,

Given the purchase price it's a tricky decision to make, I know, I've had to make that decision for myself. But ultimately there is no one here that is qualified to answer that for you since you are your own photographer with your own style, wants, needs, etc.

There is absolutely no point basing such an expensive decision on other people experiences given most are divided on the lens. My Noctilux may as well be welded on my M9, I use it that much but that could mean absolutely nothing to you. You could either love it or hate it and you will have to do what the rest of us have done and take the plunge and see for your self.

I recommend spending some time on the Noctilux Flickr group and deciding for yourself if you can fit it's style into your work.

Flickr: The Leica Noctilux-M 50mm f/0.95 ASPH Pool

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS
Neil,

Given the purchase price it's a tricky decision to make, I know, I've had to make that decision for myself. But ultimately there is no one here that is qualified to answer that for you since you are your own photographer with your own style, wants, needs, etc.

There is absolutely no point basing such an expensive decision on other people experiences given most are divided on the lens. My Noctilux may as well be welded on my M9, I use it that much but that could mean absolutely nothing to you. You could either love it or hate it and you will have to do what the rest of us have done and take the plunge and see for your self.

I recommend spending some time on the Noctilux Flickr group and deciding for yourself if you can fit it's style into your work.

Flickr: The Leica Noctilux-M 50mm f/0.95 ASPH Pool

Thanks Paul.

It seems like people are thinking I don't have the resources well I have a great job that pays well and yes I can afford to splash out 11k on a lens and like the thread theme states I am just trying to see what the guys that have the Noctilux use on a daily basis, is it there Noctilux or something else as what I am thinking is I want a one lens set up with the MM and a one lens set up with the M when that comes out next year.......if for example 75% of the replies to my question is the Noctilux is used 25% of the time then I may rethink what I get but if 50% or above say that the Noctilux is on the camera 50% of the time then I will stick with my gut feeling and get one............again its not got anything to do with the money