Dlux6 vs LX7 Don't laugh

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Why are you telling me to "just enjoy it"? Is that some kind of ritual talk, like religion? Am I not capable of figuring out how to enjoy my own purchase? I think you're trying to suggest something but you're not saying what's on your mind. Let's not talk to each other like little children, OK?

Seems you are in a poor state of mind over this Leica vs Pana issue. I only offered my opinion to be helpful. You're on your own guy. I've had enough of your rudeness. Good luck to you.

Guest badbob
Seems you are in a poor state of mind over this Leica vs Pana issue. I only offered my opinion to be helpful. You're on your own guy. I've had enough of your rudeness. Good luck to you.

So you're mad because you didn't win your argument, and you decide to lash out at me? Talk about rude!!

Guest badbob
Not mad. Amused is more accurate.

I don't understand why you don't just drop it and go out and have some fun using your new camera. Life is short, enjoy the good things.

You say I have a poor state of mind and you say that I'm rude, and now you're denying that you said those things?

Badbob,

I'm on this forum because I enjoy photography. You started this thread asking a question. I only offered my opinion. Seems you just want to be argumentative and I really have no interest in that.

Carry on as it seems you must have the last word. So be it, I'm sure you will post more of your insults. I'll not waste anymore time with this foolishness.

Guest badbob
Badbob, I'm on this forum because I enjoy photography. You started this thread asking a question. I only offered my opinion. Seems you just want to be argumentative and I really have no interest in that. Carry on as it seems you must have the last word. So be it, I'm sure you will post more of your insults. I'll not waste anymore time with this foolishness.

I understand what you're doing - making accusatuons as you have, then denying that you did that when it's right here in black and white. The other guy wants to lecture me about Panasonic as though I were a student in his class. But when I go to the box and all the papers and find it's all Leica, you just try to change the subject. And now you're posting all sorts of things that have nothing to do with the subject. Maybe next time you can stay on topic and avoid accusations and all that other personal stuff.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Review: The Leica D-Lux 6/ Panasonic LX7 – Ming Thein | Photographer

First off: I’ve had a lot of people asking if the Leica version is any different to the Panasonic version. Physically, they are identical but for the cosmetics – the Leica has a nicer, cleaner (but also slipperier) design and square buttons. The Panasonic has a few more curves, flourishes, chrome bits and a small but welcome front grip. Menu cosmetics are different. Both have identical sensors, lenses, EVF capability, and as far as I can tell, file output. The Leica version is more expensive, but includes Lightroom and an extended warranty; in the end, it washes out price-wise. Buy the Leica if you need processing software or intend to keep the camera a bit longer; the warranty helps and it holds resale value a bit better, too. I reviewed this version because it’s what I happened to have access to.

• Like 1

I understand what you're doing - making accusatuons as you have, then denying that you did that when it's right here in black and white. The other guy wants to lecture me about Panasonic as though I were a student in his class. But when I go to the box and all the papers and find it's all Leica, you just try to change the subject. And now you're posting all sorts of things that have nothing to do with the subject. Maybe next time you can stay on topic and avoid accusations and all that other personal stuff.

Of course the Leica says 'Leica' everywhere. But it's made BY Panasonic. This arrangement has been going on for years and there's plenty of examples and info on the web if you wish to look. I have a Panasonic LC5 which was the original collaboration, the Leica version being the Digilux 1.

You seem not to want to accept what I or others tell you, however, for goodness knows what reason. Pick the phone up to Leica and ask them directly.

Guest badbob

So they're identical, but oops - they're not identical. And I wonder if that Ming person is an official for either company. Probably not. But hey, take a really long look through a D-Lux6 package and try to find the word Panasonic anywhere. Who could have removed all of that without affecting the product? I'm perfectly willing to believe anything, but I'd like to see something more than "they're identical, .... except they're not" - and by someone who is officially involved.

I've had Leicas for 33 years, and this is one of the clumsiest threads I've ever read on (and off) of the topic. Instead of shouting with bold type, provide some official documentation. I'll bet you can't find anything.

Lumix Camera History

The Leica/Panasonic technology partnership allowed the famous German camera company to rebadge and sell certain Lumix models. The first was the Digilux 1 based on the DMC-LC5 first shown at PMA in 2002. The next model, Lumix DMC-LC1 was shown at CEATEC JAPAN 2003. A 5 megapixel CCD based camera fitted with a wide-angle f/2.0, 28-90 mm Leica DC Vario-Summicron (equivalent to 35-mm film camera) 3.2x optical zoom and was sold by Leica as the Digilux 2.

Guest badbob

BTW, on the small chance that anyone is reading this, logic trumps mantra every time.

For example, because Panasonic and Leica partnered on camera or lens 'xyz', that does not constitute evidence that they partnered, or partnered 100 percent, on camera 'abc'. The bottom line is, they aren't the same (same == identical), so the hand-waving isn't going to settle anything.

Guest badbob
You seem not to want to accept what I or others tell you, however, for goodness knows what reason. Pick the phone up to Leica and ask them directly.

I love my Leica and I don't like the Panasonic. What is it you can't get about that? Not only do I love my Leica camera, I came to this Leica forum to promote Leicas, not Panasonics. Somewhere, somehow, that should penetrate through all of this FUD.

Links work fine.

So are you saying that your Leica Dlux6 is not made by Panasonic? That seems to be what you're getting at.

Anyway I can post plenty more evidence of the Leica/Panasonic partnership, but I have other stuff to do. Google is your friend.

Guest badbob
Links work fine. So are you saying that your Leica Dlux6 is not made by Panasonic? That seems to be what you're getting at. Anyway I can post plenty more evidence of the Leica/Panasonic partnership, but I have other stuff to do. Google is your friend.

You seem to be saying that if I'm selling the D-Lux6 over the counter to a customer, and selling it as a Leica camera (period, end of sentence), that I would be doing the customer a disservice to not advise them of the possible Panasonic link, if the customer didn't raise the issue?

Guest badbob
Links work fine..

You tested it on an iPad, or not? My iPad does links just fine, unless those links are doing something they should not be running, which seems to be the case here.

You seem to be saying that if I'm selling the D-Lux6 over the counter to a customer, and selling it as a Leica camera (period, end of sentence), that I would be doing the customer a disservice to not advise them of the possible Panasonic link, if the customer didn't raise the issue?

???? Sorry, I've no idea what you're getting at now.

This is surreal. *shakes head*

Which is harder to believe:

1 Leica have exactly duplicated the LX production line for the D-Lux (only a bit better). Then they don't tell anyone theirs is best.

Or

2 Panasonic and Leica badge engineer the same basic camera. The sneaky Germans produce their own documentation to make sure there is no hint of a tie up with Panasonic.

Have you never heard of badge engineering before? No experience of the car industry? Seat and VW. Pssst... guess what? They are exactly the same cars! I know, shocking, eh? I'll be telling you next that the first Leica digitals were Fujis! Imagine that! Oh and Minolta provided the guts of most of the R series SLRs!

What is this aversion to reality around here these days?

Regards,

Bill

Guest badbob
So are you saying that your Leica Dlux6 is not made by Panasonic? That seems to be what you're getting at..

I made it clear that I don't know. I suppose what's bugging you is the implication that you don't know either. Unless you *really* know, which you haven't said so far. I could even say "The D-Lux6 is made mostly by Panasonic", but that leaves a lot unanswered, doesn't it? So to avoid that uncertainty, you prefer to say that it's *entirely* Panasonic, which it obviously isn't, and that's where you stumble.