Dlux6 vs LX7 Don't laugh

Advertisement (gone after registration)

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/members/65005-albums5928.html

That's where I pasted them - the forum software shrinks them a lot. I'm liking this camera better every day, and it helps that I would have sprung for the carry case and wrist strap if I bought the standard edition, so altogether, a pretty nice deal. The external finish is amazing...

Tranks a Lot

Guest badbob
Hi guys, I am planning to buy a Dlux 6, but considering the price different, I look at the Pana LX7, too. I now they are the same camera, but does the Leica branded one produce any difference in terms of color reproduction, etc...?

I had both until I gave the LX7 to a photo club. I don't see any difference. The D-Lux6 has the same flaws as the LX7. The LX7 is available from different sites for very low prices now, so it's an opportunity that may not be repeated.

I don't understand why people have a problem in valuing, well, just beauty and design.

Yes, the Dlux6 and the LX7 are basically the same camera - inside. But it would be difficult to argue against the fact that the Leica looks better.

Beauty is in the eye - and in the Summilux Vario - of the beholder, but I bet there are maaany beholders who think that the Dlux6 looks wonderful, it is an exercise in streamlined, functional and elegant design, whilst the LX7 looks just like another Japanese compact camera.

As a proud Dlux6 owner I am very happy with this camera and I think the price differential is definitely worth the experience of owning it.

• Like 1

Guest badbob
I don't understand why people have a problem in valuing, well, just beauty and design. Yes, the Dlux6 and the LX7 are basically the same camera - inside. But it would be difficult to argue against the fact that the Leica looks better. Beauty is in the eye - and in the Summilux Vario - of the beholder, but I bet there are maaany beholders who think that the Dlux6 looks wonderful, it is an exercise in streamlined, functional and elegant design, whilst the LX7 looks just like another Japanese compact camera. As a proud Dlux6 owner I am very happy with this camera and I think the price differential is definitely worth the experience of owning it.

I don't recall either Panasonic or Leica stating that these cameras are the same, so if someone says they're the same (or identical), then you would have to trust them since the two companies involved won't say that they're exactly the same (or identical). Usually what I see on the forums is "Everybody knows they're the same" or something similar, and sometimes there are assurances from experts and insiders that they're the same. But after reading the manufacturer comments carefully, and the rare posting from an insider who knows how Leicas are differentiated, I can't be sure that the differences are purely cosmetic. I had the LX7, and now I have the D-Lux6 G-Star version. They look similar, but I like the Leica version much better, and the photos look better. That last part about the photos could be just random luck or my imagination, but how would anyone really know?

It's just luck, the G star looks very nice I must say, but that is purely an exercise in cosmetics, as unless the clothing company invested millions in research and development and built an electronics and optical division , then they won't have actually added anything at all to improve the base camera. I agree to an extent that perhaps having the Leica badge makes you try a bit harder perhaps, or look more closely at what you've actually taken. If you were undecided between the models worthy ness before, it's been a very big leap in faith for th G Star version. I hope you enjoy using it.

Guest badbob
It's just luck, the G star looks very nice I must say, but that is purely an exercise in cosmetics, as unless the clothing company invested millions in research and development and built an electronics and optical division , then they won't have actually added anything at all to improve the base camera. I agree to an extent that perhaps having the Leica badge makes you try a bit harder perhaps, or look more closely at what you've actually taken. If you were undecided between the models worthy ness before, it's been a very big leap in faith for th G Star version. I hope you enjoy using it.

It's much better than that, actually. For one thing, most of the cost difference is in accessories that I consider essential. The remaining amount is very cheap for the difference in cosmetics - there's no comparison on cosmetics with this item for me, so it's not feasible to place a value on a comparison I can't make. For others, the cosmetics may have zero value, and also for others the hands-free form-fitting case isn't something they want or need, so nothing much to say there. Just note that if you walk into certain venues with a camera bag or obvious camera case, it can get you unwanted attention, while the form-fitting cases for the D-Lux6 and G-Star Raw get around that problem beautifully. Even if we weren't talking camera cases specifically, I think you'll find that most people who do carry a personal bag of some kind - to them the design, appearance, and functionality of that bag are critically important.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think the goals have moved, it was just comparing the two cameras and the differences between them. Obviously if the whole package of accessories is of value to you, then that's something for you to have factored in. I like the look of the G Star and the accessories, but it's not going to take better photographs than a Panasonic equivalent necessarily .

Guest badbob
I think the goals have moved, it was just comparing the two cameras and the differences between them. Obviously if the whole package of accessories is of value to you, then that's something for you to have factored in. I like the look of the G Star and the accessories, but it's not going to take better photographs than a Panasonic equivalent necessarily .

I think you are missing the point of aesthetics as function. When people shop for an item that's available in several finishes, they choose the one they like, not the one you think they should. If one of those finishes is considerably more expensive than the others, customers *may* pass on that finish because of the price, but not always. When they choose a finish they like, they don't care whether it takes better photos - they just care about what they like.

As to whether a Leica can't take better photos than a Panasonic equivalent, how would you know? I've owned the LX7 for a few months, which is gone now, but I can't be certain that they're identical in function. I made that assumption when I bought the LX7, as I think you also did, but I did so as a convenience that didn't require any research on my part. When I chose the G-Star Raw I assumed that they *might* be the same inside the case, but at that point I didn't care.

In any event, I have the Leica camera I like, and it does take exceptionally good photos, but even that could be argued, yes?

Here we go again....the ARE the same camera. Yes they have different finishes and yes, if you prefer one over the other that's fine and I don't see why you have to justify spending the extra to anyone but yourself.

But please don't perpetuate the myth that the Leica is somehow a better camera underneath.

If you still had the Panasonic you could have produced directly comparable images to prove the point. But you don't. And to date no one else has either.

These are relatively inexpensive mass produced digital cameras. We know the price of the M and lenses. It simply couldn't make economic sense for Leica to devote time taking cameras off Panasonic (who make them all) and tweaking theirs internally to make them more 'special'.

Choose your version and be happy with it.

• Like 2

Guest badbob
Here we go again....the ARE the same .....But please don't perpetuate the myth that the Leica is somehow a better camera underneath.

And why is it that you think you can lecture me on this subject? Unless you are a Leica official, or a Panasonic official who is making Leicas from start to final packaging, you have no say on this. I have owned both, and I feel better qualified to judge. You may feel for some reason that you know just as well as I, or better, but I seriously doubt it. Don't perpetuate whatever myth *you* believe until you come back with documented proof.

And why is it that you think you can lecture me on this subject? Unless you are a Leica official, or a Panasonic official who is making Leicas from start to final packaging, you have no say on this. I have owned both, and I feel better qualified to judge. You may feel for some reason that you know just as well as I, or better, but I seriously doubt it. Don't perpetuate whatever myth *you* believe until you come back with documented proof.

Ok, I take it you accept that they are both made by Panasonic, in the same factory, by the same people?

What is different about the Leica (beyond the styling and badge)? Where and how are these differences made (given the above)?

If I had a billion dollars I could "get what makes me happy". Now, do you see how silly that is?

It seems you started this thread asking an honest question. Now you get all bothered when people reply with their opinion. Makes one wonder why you started this to begin with. Seeing you now have what you wanted, why not leave it at that?

• Like 1

Guest badbob
Ok, I take it you accept that they are both made by Panasonic, in the same factory, by the same people? What is different about the Leica (beyond the styling and badge)? Where and how are these differences made (given the above)?

I don't accept what I don't know. I may ignore it, if ignoring doesn't hurt me somehow.

Guest badbob
It seems you started this thread asking an honest question. Now you get all bothered when people reply with their opinion. Makes one wonder why you started this to begin with. Seeing you now have what you wanted, why not leave it at that?

I don't get bothered by opinions. But I do reject being lectured on something like this by people who don't know any more than I do. And that phrase "whatever makes you happy" - you can't honestly think that's respectful. It doesn't seem harmful of course, but it's certainly not respectful. You need to be less defensive.

I don't accept what I don't know. I may ignore it, if ignoring doesn't hurt me somehow.

It's well known actually. If you want to imagine that your camera is made somewhere else from more precious stuff then go ahead, you're not harming anyone I guess.

I don't get bothered by opinions. But I do reject being lectured on something like this by people who don't know any more than I do. And that phrase "whatever makes you happy" - you can't honestly think that's respectful. It doesn't seem harmful of course, but it's certainly not respectful. You need to be less defensive.

Sure it's respectful and that's how it was intended. I own a V-Lux 4 and could have bought the Pana version. That was my choice and I'm fine with it. You made your choice so just enjoy it instead of getting all worked up. Let's enjoy our photography and be happy.

Guest badbob
It's well known actually. If you want to imagine that your camera is made somewhere else from more precious stuff then go ahead, you're not harming anyone I guess.

I looked everywhere on the camera, in the box, through all of the materials and papers, and you know, there was not a single indication of Panasonic anywhere, as though it were supposed to be an extreme secret. So I have this apparently 100 percent Leica in hand, and a few cranky people trying to lecture me that it isn't, and better yet, they expect me to believe them and not the well known and highly respected Leica company.

Are you getting any of this?

Guest badbob
Sure it's respectful and that's how it was intended. I own a V-Lux 4 and could have bought the Pana version. That was my choice and I'm fine with it. You made your choice so just enjoy it instead of getting all worked up. Let's enjoy our photography and be happy.

Why are you telling me to "just enjoy it"? Is that some kind of ritual talk, like religion? Am I not capable of figuring out how to enjoy my own purchase? I think you're trying to suggest something but you're not saying what's on your mind. Let's not talk to each other like little children, OK?