M240 hand grip

Sully

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For many years I have used a Leica handgrip with each of my film and digital cameras. More recently a handgrip has become essential to aid security when holding the camera with an arthritic hand. Although a relatively simple accessory, the design has improved over time. I think the one designed for the M240 is the best I have used, forgetting the exorbitant cost. Unlike the alternatives which I have only seen on screen, the Leica grip has a flat slightly angled surface where finger tips rest. This is so comfortable and secure in use.

+1  I had the Leica grip on my M9 and the new M240 version is far sturdier and more comfortable.  I also use the RRS bottom plate and grip for when I need Arca Swiss compatibility, but the Leica grip stays on the camera the rest of the time.

B&H shows it in stock for those looking for one. 

Edited by Luke_Miller
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

+1  I had the Leica grip on my M9 and the new M240 version is far sturdier and more comfortable.  I also use the RRS bottom plate and grip for when I need Arca Swiss compatibility, but the Leica grip stays on the camera the rest of the time.

B&H shows it in stock for those looking for one. 

Hello Luke,

I have a m240, and I would like to buy a Leica hand grip for it.

Is it Leica M Hand Grip 14405  or Leica M Hand Grip 14496?

Thanks,

Dennis

I was looking at the grips the other day out if curiosity and thought that they seem quite simply to make (I do various bits of metal work as a hobby). Might have a go at one someday. But for my use it would just add more bulk & weight to something I want to keep small...

From one Harris in Devon, to another elsewhere!

The M240 grip weighs 100 grams

The standard M240 baseplate is slightly less than 50 grams.

So you have a target. I would say that the extra 50 grams is worth carrying, although I'm very conscious of all weight contributing accessories. The heaviest and most bulk-adding is my Angelo Pelle case which I'm not so happy to carry. It really makes the 240 fat and large hands are required.

Hope that helps,

Edited by lucerne
  • Like 3

Ahoy!

Does this grip *replace* the actual base plate then? I assumed it just fitted on top of the original base plate – if so, that is quite different.

50 grams isn’t much no. But I think for me the bulk would be annoying, getting caught on closing etc. I’ve always used a half case on mine (and similar cameras), but when taking it off the day I was surprised at how nice and small it felt… so maybe I just like mine “naked”!

From one Harris in Devon, to another elsewhere!

The M240 grip weighs 100 grams

The standard M240 baseplate is slightly less than 50 grams.

So you have a target. I would say that the extra 50 grams is worth carrying, although I'm very conscious of all weight contributing accessories. The heaviest and most bulk-adding is my Angelo Pelle case which I'm not so happy to carry. It really makes the 240 fat and large hands are required.

Hope that helps,

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ahoy!Does this grip *replace* the actual base plate then? I assumed it just fitted on top of the original base plate – if so, that is quite different.50 grams isn’t much no. But I think for me the bulk would be annoying, getting caught on closing etc. I’ve always used a half case on mine (and similar cameras), but when taking it off the day I was surprised at how nice and small it felt… so maybe I just like mine “naked”!

The grip replaces the base. If you get one, don't lose the original standard version in case you want to sell the camera. Your buyer may only want a standard body. The alternative option is to buy a leather half case that has a shaped grip incorporated but the whole combination becomes bulky and unwieldy. . Personally, I like the Leica handgrip.

Edited by lucerne

• 10 months later...

May be another option; hand made:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I can only recommend not to buy expensive stuff (except camera and lenses of course) but to become creative.

My grip is made out of hot glue shaped to fit my hands.

First place a piece of transparent sticky tape where you want to have the grip. This should be a rather good and sticky one (i.e. Tesa)

Then glue the desired amount of material onto the tape.

Some Gaffa tape makes for a good finish.

Works for more than half a year already.

Happy DIY!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by echt.jut

I can only recommend not to buy expensive stuff (except camera and lenses of course) but to become creative.

My grip is made out of hot glue shaped to fit my hands.

First place a piece of transparent sticky tape where you want to have the grip. This should be a rather good and sticky one (i.e. Tesa)

Then glue the desired amount of material onto the tape.

Some Gaffa tape makes for a good finish.

Works for more than half a year already.

Happy DIY!

lol

I bought my M240 used with the handgrip and the EVF.  I have used the handgrip from day one.  And the EVF gathers dust.

One thing to avoid.  I keep my nails short, but even then the way i hold the grip has my nails agains the leather.  They left a line in the leather, witch bummed me out.  I just got my camera back from Leica after a CLA and they changed the leather at no charge.  Now I have a bit of gaffer tape where my nails hit.