M240 hand grip

Sully

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have been using my M240s for a few months without the hand grip which seems to be in very short supply (unobtainable). I really need that grip to use the camera safely. So, I rummaged around in my pile of old Leica stuff and found two metal grips for R Leicas made by GMP Products. GMP also made grips for regular M cameras, but the R grips had the camera screw in the center of the plate. I had a skilled machinist friend mill off the ledges that secured the grip to R Leicas. Now, the old R grip will fasten to the M240 securely. It handles well and even looks like an authentic Leica product. You still have to unbolt the unit to change batteries or cards. However, for me this is a small price to pay for a secure, comfortable grip. I don't know if GMP Products is still in business, but their grips were very well made with high quality aluminum and excellent machining. I also have a GMP Nikon grip which, with some mods, could be used on the M240. The Nikon grip has a big wheel to tighten it quickly to the camera. This will be a future project. The old GMP M grips could also be modified to use on the M240, but that would require drilling a a counter sink hole in the center of the grip.... something I was not ready to do. The R grip was the easiest to do.

Ciao, Sully

• Like 1

JIP,

I was afraid someone would ask for pictures. I am old and ....er....somewhat challanged by all things computer. But I will look around for a young person to help me do this. I actually would like to send some pictures of vintage Leica equipment to the Historica section. This will be the inspiration to learn how to send pictures. The contest: Will I learn to send photos faster then Leica can make the real M240 grips available.

Jip, the real problem with this mod is finding the actual GMP R grips. They didn't make too many R grips because the R cameras were dying out. Once you see the grip with your camera "near it", you can pretty easily see what has to be done to fit it to the M240.

Be sure to get a good machinist to mill and polish the modified grip. You don't want any sharp shards to cut you.

Ciao, Sully

I did not want to wait for the Leica grip. I highly recommend the Really Right Stuff baseplate and grip. Fits perfectly and feels good in the hand. Does not require finding a GRP or some other grip and machining.

I am somewhat astounded that RRS could reverse engineer, manufacture and get to market a well-made grip before Leica's own is available. RRS is also a small company.

Agree on the RRS baseplate and also the L plate: they now have left out the part which I had to mill away from the M 9 L-plate, so you don't have to remove the strap from the camera at one side. Tested the stiffness: more than adequate when the camera is mounted in portrait orientation on a ballhead, although now that L part is not a closed loop of alluminium but an asymmetric fork.

I finally just ordered the RRS bad plate grip and L bracket as I got tired of waiting for the M one to arrive.

And so did I.

Ordered it last night around 1900 Toronto time. They shipped it right away from California and it arrived here in Toronto just after noon. Less than 18 hours from order to delivery thousands of miles away in a different country.

Good looking, solid stuff. Recommend it. And thanks for the reference guys; one learns a lot on this forum.

Really Right Stuff - Item Listing

GPS on the Leica Grip is going to be nice, as and when it ever arrives. I just hope that countries are not going to get increasingly paranoid about GPS tagging of photos, given that all governments seem to be obsessed with "Spy Mania". The GPS on my wife's V-Lux 30 was blocked during her recent trip to China.

Wilson

• 2 years later...

I to am looking for a grip for the 240 but I have the M-P and RRS has answered to my question the the grip that they make 'will not work on the M-P' I want a grip that has a larger grip than the ones Leica makes. Are there any others out there that will replace the base plate so that you do not have to stack two bottoms? RRS liked good till they answered my question.

Who told you that? The base plate and grip of the M (type 240) and M-P (type 240) are absolutely identical. in every way.

Unless the RRS grip for the type 240 reaches around and touches the frame line lever I would think it impossible for it not to fit.

Maybe get an explanation from RRS and a second opinion.

Gordon

• Like 1

I have both the RRS baseplate with L and the multifunction grip. I never tried the hand grip part of the RRS designs as it seemed too bulky for my taste. You have to use either/other in place of the standard baseplate. You can't stack them. I'm referring to the dedicated RRS (typ 240) design there.

I really like the better hold on the camera in vertical mode when using the multifunction grip. I actually got that grip planning to try tethering...but then I got an S2. For tripod mounting, the RRS system is just great, bringing all of the advantages that the L attachment is for. I never found that attachment to bother me regarding handling at all and left it on all of the time. The multifunction grip does add noticeable  bulk and some weight. Picking up my older M9 (now owned by a friend) next to the (Typ 240) really reminded me of the differences in weight and size. I carried the camera with the MFG over a month of travel. Next time I wouldn't (the GPS is unimportant to me).

If anyone who knows me here is interested talk to me as both the RRS set and my multifunction grip are for sale. I can't really bear to part with the (Typ 240) just yet, but I do have S stuff to pay for!

Edited by hoppyman

JIP,

I was afraid someone would ask for pictures. I am old and ....er....somewhat challanged by all things computer. But I will look around for a young person to help me do this. I actually would like to send some pictures of vintage Leica equipment to the Historica section. This will be the inspiration to learn how to send pictures. The contest: Will I learn to send photos faster then Leica can make the real M240 grips available.

Jip, the real problem with this mod is finding the actual GMP R grips. They didn't make too many R grips because the R cameras were dying out. Once you see the grip with your camera "near it", you can pretty easily see what has to be done to fit it to the M240.

Be sure to get a good machinist to mill and polish the modified grip. You don't want any sharp shards to cut you.

Ciao, Sully

This is sorta close.

http://photoequip.net/about

And their new one for the M.

http://photoequip.net/catalog/m-grip

And the USMC version.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/M240-Spade-Grips-M2-Browning-Machine-Gun-/301828910219?hash=item464667ac8b:g:kkMAAOSwNphWagv7

Personally, I think I'd like your modified version more.

Plus 1 on the computer challenged deal. :)

And I absolutely hate texting.

Edited by Schrödinger's cat

When I recently got my used M240 the only real detraction was that the prior owner must have made a practice of setting it down rather firmly on a rocky surface, as the base plate was dinged up quite badly.  So I thought no big deal when I bought it, just get a new base plate from Leica.  Well, it was no big deal, just a big price - $300!  So I had been thinking about the RRS hand grip, which also requires their base plate.  Took a quick look on eBay & a brand new RRS base plate with L bracket was being sold at auction.  I managed to win the bid & got it for about two-thirds of retail price from RRS.  Then I ordered the hand grip new from RRS & now am really happy with the better control & more secure operation of the camera.  An added plus is that the base plate & L bracket are also grooved to mount to an Arca Swiss clamp so mine will now work with the Arca Swiss head on my monopod.  The quality is also on a par with that from Leica.  The grip projects out a bit more than the Leica one but that is a benefit for better handling & it is not enough more to detract from the appearance or the purpose of the M as a small camera.

I wasn't aware of Luigi's grip with his hinged base plate, which appears in the photo on his site to be very attractive.  I like that he offers a silver version which RRS does not.  And his price, albeit more than the RRS one, is high but then again, not that much more than a Leica replacement baseplate alone.  My only reason for preferring the RRS one is that the slightly larger grip area works better for my arthritic right hand; that & a Match Technical thumb grip enable me to manage the M with one hand if needed.

For many years I have used a Leica handgrip with each of my film and digital cameras. More recently a handgrip has become essential to aid security when holding the camera with an arthritic hand. Although a relatively simple accessory, the design has improved over time. I think the one designed for the M240 is the best I have used, forgetting the exorbitant cost. Unlike the alternatives which I have only seen on screen, the Leica grip has a flat slightly angled surface where finger tips rest. This is so comfortable and secure in use.

I have no idea why Leica has run out of stocks of this handgrip. I presume the OP has widened his search globally. My recommendation is not to compromise unless Leica does not intend to have more made to meet demand. For me it is an essential accessory which I always order with the camera.