Convertible Summicron 35/2 v1 (8-element, no goggles), Wetzlar-made

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all, this is my first post!

Recently I got a deal at my local camera store on a chrome Summi 35/2 v1. They were rather ignorant of the value of the lens, and I didn't pay too much for it. However, after looking up the going rate for these lenses online, I realized that I could sell this lens and turn a profit to buy some other equipment. It's not in mint condition - there are some extremely faint scratches on the rear element only visible in harsh direct light (invisible in normal lighting conditions). The chassis has a few minor scratches too, but nothing visible unless you're looking really close. There's no haze, but there is some minor dust (also invisible in normal light), and the focusing is the slightest bit stiffer close to infinity (hardly noticeable). Nothing that ought to influence IQ. Infinity lock works.

Yet while this isn't in pristine collector's condition, it does fetch a few premiums - it was made in Germany as opposed to Canada, doesn't have the M3 goggles, includes the original filter and hood, and has a convertible flange/mount. The convertible mount is something I just figured out today; the lens was apparently factory-fitted with an LTM>M adapter via a set-screw. But you can unscrew it, and volia, it's LTM. Rather strange, but these were evidently in production concurrently with the normal M-mount versions.

Thanks

Edited by jaapv

There a are lot of them made, including the M3 googled.

You can find 35's 2.8 Summaron, 2 Summicron 1.4 Summilux with this removable M ring, including also the Super Angulon 4 21.

Some are sold as genuine screw but they have the little threaded hole for the retaining screw and so you can identify them.

• Like 1

Indeed, the Wetzlar version is a bit rarer than the Canadian one, but globally it is not a so rare item (unless it is in black finish) and the factory fitted BM adapter (isn't easy to spot its small set-screw...) is also rather common : minimum focus distance ought to be 0,7m .... the items with 1m min. focus are the "original" screw mount versions which are really rare (they are the 600 about quoted by Jaap).

Anyway... old Summicrons are always nice items to have and use... :) post a picture of it, if you like... I suppose it's very similar to my one herunder (it has been my std. 35 for 20 years around... then the younger nephew at side took its role... :o)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 1

I have a parrallel life with Leica 35s, except my 8 element v1 is an M3 goggled version, which lasted 37 years as my 'best' 35 before I bought my aspheric, and that's black.

The old stager still comes out regularly

Gerry

• Like 1