Leica X Vario Photos

Feudal1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Pine cones

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, mikozia said:

Pine cones

Mine have recently turned golden brown and fallen to the ground. Mine is a Cedrus atlantica glauca. Yours looks like a Scotch pine.

Here's a maple leaf that had fallen to the ground

• Like 3

On 10/7/2021 at 12:14 PM, Leica_X said:

Autumn is mushroom season!

another stack(18img); X Vario @ 70mm, Raynox dcr250

the mushrooms are about 2,5 and 3cm in size

Fantastic image. Really great technique.

• Like 5

Light and shadow

• Like 9

Light and Clouds

• Like 5

the shadow man

• Like 6

Avenue

• Like 6

Watch photography with a £14 Aldi WORKZONE LED light: 

Zenith El Primero Chronograph ... rear view.

cont'd ... 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 2

Zenith El Primero Chronograph's 'crown and pushers' 

cont'd ...

• Like 2

the watch's case back ... interior view

cont'd ...

• Like 2

Zenith El Primero Rainbow Chronograph ... Leica X Vario / Leitz Elpro VIb 4.92 diopter achromatic c/u lens ... Illumination via Aldi WORKZONE LED lamp plus foam board reflectors ... Backgrounds: black self adhesive velour and textured kitchen foil.  Subjects supported above the foil using two film tubs which are 'invisible' when viewed from above. The OOF background creates the 'floating' illusion. 

dunk

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, dkCambridgeshire said:

Zenith El Primero Rainbow Chronograph ... Leica X Vario / Leitz Elpro VIb 4.92 diopter achromatic c/u lens ... Illumination via Aldi WORKZONE LED lamp plus foam board reflectors ... Backgrounds: black self adhesive velour and textured kitchen foil.  Subjects supported above the foil using two film tubs which are 'invisible' when viewed from above. The OOF background creates the 'floating' illusion. 

dunk

Dunk, these pictures are superb. Your achievements never fail to please me. Of course, I am judging your results. I have no idea what was your light source, the whole point of the posting. Could you share a picture of the lighting set-up?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wda said:

Dunk, these pictures are superb. Your achievements never fail to please me. Of course, I am judging your results. I have no idea what was your light source, the whole point of the posting. Could you share a picture of the lighting set-up?

Thank you David ... The lighting set-up was dismantled but the following is a description used on a watch collector's forum earlier this morning where there is an active  'photography technique' thread :

"Yesterday commenced photographing a Zenith El Primero Chronograph but the 'window light' suddenly became unusable due to adverse weather / cloud ... so reverted to 'plan B' and used (for the first time): 

£14 Aldi 'WORKZONE' rechargeable LED work light (10w / 15W output) reflected off a large sheet of white foam board ... plus two smaller reflectors in front of the foam board to provide 'fill in' illumination ... deliberately selected a wide lens aperture to throw background and parts of the watch out of focus ... camera was on a tripod with centre column in its 'horizontal' position ... camera supported on ball head ... and used a spirit level on camera's monitor to ensure the camera was (when necessary) perpendicular / parallel to the subject ... Objective was to achieve the 'floating' effect when used with the OOF 'brushed baking foil' background. The black background achieved with a black velour (self adhesive) covered board. Some distracting reflections were 'killed' by placing my hands in the light path whilst examining  the 'live view'  ... self timer was used enabling time to use both hands as 'gobos' ... This is still a work in progress ... next time will fine tune the set-up ... Baking foil texture was a little overdone and needs to be a little more subtle. Used a custom white balance ... Leica X Vario camera fixed zoom lens' macro mode is not capable of the close focus required for watch photography ... hence used a supplementary 50 years old 4.9 diopter Leitz Elpro VIb achromatic close-up lens. Subject supported on two film tubs for pics 3 and 4 ... the tubs under the watch and its case back are not visible when viewed from above."

The LED WORKZONE lamp  has a small 65mm x 10mm illuminated panel ...  too small for direct illumination ... hence light beam reflected onto and off a strategically placed white board ... to spread the illumination ... which was also reflected back onto the subject by additional fill-in reflectors ... all a bit 'hit and miss' but capable of fine tuning by altering : 1) position  / angle / distance of the main WORKZONE illuminator & 2) positions of the supplementary fill-in reflectors.

The baking foil is 'textured' by placing a piece of foil on a piece of soft foam ... surface texture is 'created' by lightly brushing my fingernails across the foil ... whence the foil 'digs in' to the soft foam underneath to create a series of light 'tram lines' ... and at various overlapping angles ... If overdone the texture is too harsh ... it was slightly overdone ... Foil is used 'matt side UP' 

The ancient Leitz Elpros (series V1 M44 x 0.75 thread) require a Series VI to M43 adapter ... my adapter was custom made by SRB Luton but adapters can occasionally be sourced in USA and on ebay ... once the adapter is obtained the Elpro V1a (2.51 diopter) and VIb (4.92 diopter) offer a very cost effective means of adapting an X Vario for 'up to life size' close up photography.  My s/h Elpros cost just a few ££ each ... two can be stacked for increased magnification

BW

dunk

typo
  • Like 2