Feudal1

Leica X Vario Photos

19 hours ago, goatsby said:

I know the XV is not a birding camera, and this shot will not wind up on Nat Geo, but the XV gave a heck of a try capturing these roseate spoonbills launching from a tree as I drove by in my work boat. 

What was the shutter speed?

What looks to me like @ 125th sec, very nice grab-shot Adam!  I wish they'd give me a work boat! :)

On 10/06/2019 at 13:00, wda said:

Quelle était la vitesse d'obturation?

Hello,

The exif viewer of the photo specify : 46 mm, F8, 1/500° et ISO 400.

Guy

On 6/9/2019 at 12:52 PM, wda said:

With the movement of your boat I think I might have selected a much faster shutter speed, (1/500th or 1/1,000th) even at the expense of a higher ISO. The light looked good and the target highly interesting. Another suggestion; given time to select the option, a burst of shots would have increased your prospects of capturing a winner. (I am always forgetting to switch to continouous shooting)

Hello David, 

The XV was in manual mode with the exception of auto ISO: 46mm, 1/500, f8.0, ISO 400, manual focus set at infinity and continuous shooting. I was worried that the autofocus would be too slow so set it to just below infinity. As I approached with the boat, I got everything lined up and hit the shutter just before they took off from the tree. I should have used a 1/1,000 speed in retrospect as the rocking of my small boat and holding with one had were disadvantages of getting the clearest image. I may try this again if I’m out this was again..

Here's one more of a snowy egret from the same expedition. I had to bring down the exposure in post as the egret was blown out, but the XV was able to recover the highlights pretty well so the bird wasn't just a white blob. 46mm, F8, ISO 2000, 1/1000, autofocus on this one..  

34 minutes ago, DwF said:

Hah! Couldn't fool you with those reflective strips on the tires all lit up!  Thanks Professor! ;)

you always use flash so well, subtle and sometimes not noticeable, in contrast to how many use flash, except Bruce Gilden of course

Thank you Tom,

I'm pretty sure I have anther file/exposure or two where I used flash for fill this trip. If I can find it, I will post.

David

More like an Owee! But one that should be shared :)

Okay upon second look, it's just plain Ouch! An owee should be endearing.

Edited by DwF