Leica X Vario Report

jonoslack

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think the X Vario is a massive failure.....but I'm pretty tired of people comparing Fuji's low budget cameras to Leicas. They are not....not in function, not in their shoddy build quality, their terribly over complicated menus, or their poor finish.

I disagree with the first part, but am in complete agreement with the second part of your sentence.

I suspect that the popularity of the X Vario will grow over time, as more people shoot with it and realize that it is a really nice camera, better than the sum of its parts.

I think you're right. I daresay the X Vario will be popular and it's important to realise that the people here, a few hundred of the most active users, are not Leica's target market in their quest for a 1% share of the market.

I recently visited Lamborghini and they told me their fastest growing market is - you guessed it - China and they hardly sell any cars in Italy. Porsche is the same. China is their no 2 market, soon to be number 1, and drive the German Autobahns and you hardly see any Porsches. It's all BMWs, Mercedes-Benz's and Audis. The VW Phaeton, made in Dresden, is 60% destined for the Chinese market.

Bottom line is the X Vario is not targeted at us, it's targeted at the Chinese market.

I think the X Vario is a massive failure.....

Fuji's low budget cameras to Leicas. They are not....not in function, not in their shoddy build quality, their terribly over complicated menus, or their poor finish.

I wrote elsewhere

Xvario will be Leica's best selling camera as movie stars, sports stars, celebrities, rich n famous, people who shop at burberry, prada, tom ford will snap it up as it is a prestiege product.

Re product quality : nowadays nearly every single product suffers :

X1 had the broken flash popup, loose dials, M9 sensor crack, Apple macbook batteries heating up a few years ago, Nikon D600 grease on sensor.

Things just arent what they used to be compared to the 1950's when it comes to quality products,

I bought it X Vario and Brought to Orlando with my trip. I am pleased with image quality and color.

It's simple solution for people who dont want to have same camera with everyone else or who owned a S2 dont want to bring it to theme park LOL

Here is real life " vacation mode " testing image, process under lightroom.

HELu-StyLe | Orlando vacation 2013

Guest badbob
I bought it X Vario and Brought to Orlando with my trip. I am pleased with image quality and color. It's simple solution for people who dont want to have same camera with everyone else or who owned a S2 dont want to bring it to theme park LOL. Here is real life " vacation mode " testing image, process under lightroom.

It's a good sign that you have the S2 and think the X Vario is also good. Now, both Anaheim (Disney West) and Orlando (Disney East) should have similar sights. Do you find the quality is consistent in both places, with the X Vario?

I bought it X Vario and Brought to Orlando with my trip. I am pleased with image quality and color.

It's simple solution for people who dont want to have same camera with everyone else or who owned a S2 dont want to bring it to theme park LOL

I hate to be critical but colors are over saturated and artificial looking and blown highlights all over the place. Almost every shot of you wife or girl friend has blown highlights. I hope this is a result of your processing and not an indication of the camera's ability. Having grown up in that area of Florida, I know it well and the grass never looks like it does in your images nor does the sky. Perhaps this is your style of processing?

• Like 1

Your heavy handed PP does not allow to draw any conclusions as regards the camera`s technical potential and ability. The way the pics look on my screen, they could actually have been taken with a smart phone.

Having accessed one on a couple of occasion now, the lack of a VF and the somewhat moderate AF combined with high f stops sort of kills it for me.

Sure IQ is fine just as with most cameras at this level though one can see a disparity low and high ISOs, This is not as bad as some Nikons where the lower ISOs are weak in comparison the the higher end

Edited by iforum

Her are some images under low light , a gloomy day and torrential rains, coming back from Calgary to Kimberley, had I been any later, I would not have made it, roads and bridges

washed out not much later after I passed through, emergencies declared , small towns evacuated.

Good to be on high ground in the mountains.

These image are taken at Storm Mountain Lodge and the Mountain shots a little further down

the road.

These images were shot jpeg with slight LR adjustments

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

These images look more like paintings than photographs and the color is inconsistent. Look at the sofas and pillows in pictures 2 & 3. In the first image the sofas are almost orangish and in the second they are brownish. In the first three images the NR is smoothing out all of the detail. The detail pattern on the pillow vanishes. The greens in the last two pictures just don't look right. Maybe you could post the DNGs without any PP so we can see what the camera is cpable of doing.

• Like 3

There's gotta be more than slight adjustment here these are not the type of files that I have seen come out of the camera. Not much exif data available could be anything definitely a long way from the camera's output

Edited by iforum

No DNG's, just Jpegs as I mention in my post, the colour differences are caused by the different illuminations depending on which light and where it is coming from.

The light in Storm Mountain Lodge is dimmer than shown in the images and is a mixture.

DNG X2 , VARIO X no LR , converted and resized .

Edited by peterleyenaar
  • Like 2

A snap (jpeg) of one of my Labradors and a crop of the head.

Guest badbob

Excellent photo. The black dog isn't always easy to get right. I took some photos last Sunday of someone's black lab, and whatever it takes to get the best exposure and contrast - I didn't.

• Like 1