Leica X Vario Report

jonoslack

Advertisement (gone after registration)

…I have read and heard variations of this same argument time and again, and it is made against practically any and all products that Leica releases post the age of the internet. ...

Yes this lack of imagination is boring to say the least but it was the same before the internet. When i bought my first M4 in the seventies it was yet considered a luxury product. People who could not afford it spent their time to demonstrate that one could purchase (insert a number) Japanese SLRs for the same price and that the rangefinder was obsolete compared to the latters. Nothing new under the sun. :D

• Like 4

Hello All, I am really enjoying this Leica Vario X, it is a great small camera with excellent image quality, very well built, really nice layout of functions and menus, a pleasure to shoot with, the price ? oh the price, oh the price, well, its worth it.

Here are some snaps, a mix of jpeg and DNG.

Looks great!! And a very nice looking place to be, with the mountains in the background and a good meal!

Yes this lack of imagination is boring to say the least but it was the same before the internet. When i bought my first M4 in the seventies it was yet considered a luxury product. People who could not afford it spent their time to demonstrate that one could purchase (insert a number) Japanese SLRs for the same price and that the rangefinder was obsolete compared to the latters. Nothing new under the sun. :D

Lo miso digo:rolleyes:9079 9080 9081:)

Guest badbob
The fact is some companies need a wake a up call every now and then to put them back on track but Leica seems to protect itself from overly harsh reviews by sending it to those that are kind and overly polite with any short comings.

If I were the marketing guy at Leica, I might have proposed something like this:

Ok, we sold a X1 to Hermann for $2k U.S., but Hermann lost interest after a couple years because, frankly, the X1 was rather plain and economical in appearance - not comparable to a M9 in any way certainly, and Hermann can't afford a $13k M9 with vario lens anyway. But if we could make a camera that looks and feels much more like the M9 than the X1, add a not removable vario lens, and sell it for less than 3k U.S., Hermann would snap it right up. To Hermann this would be like getting "almost" the M9 at a fraction of the price. Our pro users won't like it for a hundred reasons, but we're not going to make a pro camera here. We're going to make a camera for Hermann, who will see it as a huge improvement over the X1, almost like a M9, for only a little more than a X1. Hermann is not a pro and does not want to be bothered with changeable lenses and bags full of gear etc. What Hermann does want is excellent image quality, simple use, and the look and feel of the classic Leica cameras.

• Like 1

I thank anyone like yourself who takes the time to do reviews and post them but you lost me at your disclaimer that if something is wrong you would tell Leica and point out the good to everyone else. The fact is some companies need a wake a up call every now and then to put them back on track but Leica seems to protect itself from overly harsh reviews by sending it to those that are kind and overly polite with any short

Hi there

No offence, but I'm not a reviewer and don't claim to be. I test cameras and also talk and write about them. . . . . . Or not!

Of course, it is my job to give Leica a wake up call, and when appropriate I certainly do. It just isn't my job to do it in public.

But having referred to the disclaimer, it's fairer to show all of it:

I think your partial quote is pretty unfair (don't you?)

I have been testing the X Vario for Leica since Christmas time. As a tester my loyalty is to Leica, and as such, if I find something wrong with the camera I tell Leica - If I find something right I tell everyone. Having said this I would like to say that Leica have not approved this article (or even seen it before publication), nor have they made any suggestions as to what I should write in it. I will not say anything I don’t believe to be the case, and I can honestly say that I have no misgivings about the camera which are not included in this piece. Sorry if that seems unnecessary, but I’ve had my motives questioned in the past, so it’s safer to make them obvious!

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Fuji X-E1 kit zoom 2 stops down will easily match the Leicas slower lens for less than half the money with IS and state of the art EVF built in. Glue the lens on if you feel thats a unique feature. I dont deny is a beautiful camera but most reviews are avoiding highlighting its deficiencies. .

Hi there

Not quite two stops, but whatever.

I have access to an XE1 with the kit zoom, I also own the OMD and the Panasonic 12-35 f2.8 - a much better bet in my opinion as the Image stabilisation is in the body and the Auto Focus is an order of magnitude faster, the lens is faster . ....... I could go on!

By the way, I'm pretty sure I DID mention all it's disadvantages

However, I don't think that either of those lenses deliver such good image quality as the Leica lens, probably BECAUSE of its speed limitations. (Magic is hard to achieve).

Manual focusing on the Leica is also a much nicer experience (not focus by wire, and a lovely smooth action with end stops). The Leica lens also extends much less when zooming (FWIW).

Of course, if you're on a tight budget, or if we are talking about your only camera, then either interchangeable lens option is a better bet, but if you already have a system, or you really don't want interchangeable lenses, the Leica has its points.

The Leica is fun to use, has proper and well thought out photographic controls -and it delivers excellent image quality. It expects you to know about photography (aperture/shutter speed etc) but you don't need to know too much about digital cameras.

I think it's rather refreshing. Value for money? That depends on who you are and what you want.

• Like 9

I just opened the X Vario and Leica has designed a really nice camera and beautifully made.

Body wise, it is not much smaller than an M4, which I like. The camera fits nicely and comfortably in the hand, a bit front/lens heavy, but not unexpected. The screen on the back is a definite improvement on the X1/X2 Screen both in size and in resolution. I have only taken a couple of photos, but the optics seem impressive.

As for Lens Speed, I do not see this as an issue, especially given the tremendous High ISO performance of the camera. We no longer live completely in the Film Days where higher ISO is grainy, there is a loss of contrast and resolution above 400 and fast lenses were a necessity. I believe Leica made a good compromise here.

For my purposes, the autofocus is plenty fast.

I will most likely add the lens hood when available.

Until I have time to shoot with it, this is all I can say about it, but I have the feeling I will get the image quality I want, and that is what I care most about.

Edited by rsh
  • Like 2

It appears that whoever actually has this Vario X is pleased as punch, at least , I am with mine, I still have the option of returning the camera,however, that is not going to happen .

One minor complaint is that the control wheel can easily be engaged by the palm of the hand, while shooting, bringing up the a menu.

On my Xpro1 the control wheel can be locked by holding the centre button for 4 seconds and unlocked by holding the centre button again for 4 seconds.

Hopefully Leica can implement this feature with a firmware update.

It appears that whoever actually has this Vario X is pleased as punch, at least , I am with mine, I still have the option of returning the camera,however, that is not going to happen .

One minor complaint is that the control wheel can easily be engaged by the palm of the hand, while shooting, bringing up the a menu.

On my Xpro1 the control wheel can be locked by holding the centre button for 4 seconds and unlocked by holding the centre button again for 4 seconds.

Hopefully Leica can implement this feature with a firmware update.

HI There Peter

Yep - seems like it's more than the sum of it's specs :D

The flash menu / right thumb problem has been discussed at some length - hopefully there will be a solution.

When i bought my first M4 in the seventies it was yet considered a luxury product. People who could not afford it spent their time to demonstrate that one could purchase (insert a number) Japanese SLRs for the same price and that the rangefinder was obsolete compared to the latters. Nothing new under the sun. :D

AND, M4 is still worth many of those SLRs even today:).

Was in my dealer today dropping in my M9 for a warranty repair. He let me have a play with both the X-vario and the type 240. I only spent 10 minutes with each camera. As a confirmed "mini" basher I was pleasantly surprised. It's a really nice camera in the hand. And it's stunning looking and beautifully put together. It's in a different place to the Fuji's (although they are also excellent cameras). The X-Vario may not be the camera I'd hoped for but it may just turn out to be a very expensive year if the lens is as good as every one is saying. Now I've held one, I'm more likely to get an X-vario than an XE-1 and kit lens, regardless of the price and f-stop differences.

The X-Vario may be a niche camera but Leica is the company making niches work for them.

Gordon

• Like 2

I'm more likely to get an X-vario than an XE-1 and kit lens, regardless of the price and f-stop differences.
Now that's what Leica loves to hear buying for the looks:cool: a pretty picture goes a long way:p f6.4 and my eyes are wide :eek:

ps it helps if it is a :) day

Edited by iforum

They shudda slapped a red dot on the X100S. Job done.

I think the X Vario is a massive failure.....but I'm pretty tired of people comparing Fuji's low budget cameras to Leicas. They are not....not in function, not in their shoddy build quality, their terribly over complicated menus, or their poor finish.

I think the X Vario is a massive failure.....but I'm pretty tired of people comparing Fuji's low budget cameras to Leicas. They are not....not in function, not in their shoddy build quality, their terribly over complicated menus, or their poor finish.

Massive failure ? How so , everyone who has one seems to enjoy and appreciate

the Vario X

Have a look at this

The SOUNDIMAGEPLUS blog: Fuji X-E1 and Leica X Vario Comparisons - Whole thing in one post

So sorry you are pretty tired.

The X100S functions very well and is not shoddily built. In my opinion, to which you are entitled. I speak as a M9 shooter.

• Like 1