Leica X Vario Report

jonoslack

Glorious:

"Well, it isn’t for those who were hoping and expecting competition for the Sony RX-1. Actually, I suspect it isn’t for anyone who spends much time on internet photo forums."

Always nice to see and read your work Jono, even though I'd prefer to see you talking about that suggested MM... nah, not the Mono, the Mini rather!

• Like 1

Thank you Dave - if you ask me I'm about to be slaughtered :)

I did ask Thorsten if he thought I'd survive the day, and he simply said "No"

:eek:

Ha! He's right...:) But I am right there with you in the food processor waiting for the button to be pushed with my new thread with an Open Letter to Leica...;)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

"I think it’s directed at busy people who are good at photography, but who have better things to do than read 35 page camera reviews. Someone who understands all about shutter speed and aperture, but hasn’t a clue about scene modes, and doesn’t want to know about them either. Someone who has shot film in the past, and would like a comprehensible digital camera which allows them to shoot manually or automatically, without having to worry about interchangeable lenses and everything that entails."

I think you really did hit the nail on the head with this statement. I was all set to buy an XE-1 but I'd rather not have to faff about with a bag full of lenses and for several reasons (none of which have to do with being a "fanboy" or having too much money to spend because I certainly don't) I'd rather have a Leica.

I know the Internets need to prepare itself for the wailing and breast beating that will come from the Leica fora but I agree that this will be a popular camera once that all settles.

Everyone is screaming for a M mount camera with a 4/3rds sensor and an EVF but this seems really counterintuitive to me since the pride and purpose of the M series is it's viewfinder. I think lots of people are in love the idea of such a camera but I think they would hate it if they got it in their hands and tried to use it.

Leica has been in this business for quite a long time now and contray to what you are going to see splashed all over the web today, I think they just might know what they're doing.

• Like 3

Medeocrity sells and sells well . ..."........ The bonus is that it is easy to review

If the image quality was mediocre, then I would almost agree, almost - as for being easy to review, for poor little hampered me I find it hard to write so many words without a typing mistake :p

As always Jono, your work is fabulous and your insight valuable. I've no doubt that this camera creates excellent images and is fun to use, but the price and bulk make it an easy decision for me. I don't need such a camera, but if I did I would not be able to justify the cost. Still, I hope Leica sells a lot of them.

• Like 1

Well done Jono..!! I also think this camera will be a little firecracker..!! For me the slow zoom is perfectly adequate for the quality of files & overall compactness it allows as a street camera & besides, the bokeh & crops look really nice. Thanks for the positive review.

• Like 1

Jono - I think your review nails it. This would seem to be the 2013 version of the Digilux2 (a point Sean Reid also makes this morning.)

I have emailed your review to a number of friends who, over the years, have told me they want an M, but either couldn't afford one, or couldn't really justify the expense. But they do take photography seriously, and are drawn to using Leicas because of a) simplicity, B) the lenses. My pitch to my friends -- interestingly, most of them the mothers of my kid's friends -- that if you want to get a camera that is 1/3rd as expensive as a Leica M + single lens, and 2/3rds the size/weight of an M, this is an excellent choice -- based on Jono Slack's review. The response I've gotten has been very much, "Hmmm, this sounds interesting."

So you may get beat up on this forum, especially by people who wanted a different fantasy camera. (Personally, I could only go for this if it were smaller; otherwise, I'm happy to take my M with me and have no real desire for a camera 2/3rds its size.) But I am betting your write-up will be valuable for just those people described above: desiring an M, but not able to justify the expense commitment. Now they have an alternative that is, dare I say it, a Mini M.

Thank you.

• Like 5

Jono, thanks for the review. Interesting, nicely written, and best of all, some proper photos to look at.

I don't think the camera's for me, but I won't hold you responsible for that!

Your balanced, un-hysterical and informed contributions are, as ever, hugely appreciated.

• Like 3

It is not a Digilux 2 replacement because they forgot the viewfinder. I really want to update my Digilux 2 but I insist on a built in viewfinder, I am not interested in a clip-on.

Has technology gone backwards, the Digilux 2 lens body does not change length and it is F2, this is like any other zoom with a body that expands and contracts and is F3.5 at best. This does not look like progress am I missing something?

Edited by Paul Reading
  • Like 1

Thanks Jono. As others say, you nail the point that this camera is for people who don't read reviews or visit photo forums. Not much of interest to owners of the M so don't expect much excitement around here.

Great photos. One day you should shoot a baseline set with an iPhone so we can separate the camera from the photographer when judging results!

• Like 1