End of a flirt: I'm back to film

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In 2008, I left my not so young but dear and faithful Leica for a young, sexy M8. I kept seeing her everywhere, on TV, in magazines, internet, always there looking at me, so seductive that I just had to have her. It turned out to be just a flirt, and ended as soon as an even more seductive babe (M9-P) made herself available.

Needless to say, the excitement and the passion of the beginnings gradually faded away. I spent the last few years basically trying to replicate the feeling and emotion that my first real love used to give me.. struggling to convert dng files to achieve that grainy, contrasty, sometimes even gritty look that I love so much, and that Tri-X delivers with so little effort.

What's the point of shooting M9 if you're looking for a "Tri-X feel", when you can shoot actual Tri-X in a M6, which is at least as "sexy" and way less expensive?

So here we go. From now on, a digital compact will do for all color work. Everything else will be scanned film. My blog followers apparently loved the digital b/w I did the last few years. Will they still love it or will they turn away? You know what? with all due respect, it's time to think about what I love, not others.

• Like 6

I've just got an M9-P myself. Film is so stress-free in comparison. It's very early days yet. I will probably keep the M9 but I can't see it replacing my film Ms for a while.

Pete

Haha, here is where analogies stop: When it comes to cameras it is perfectly allowed (perhaps even recommendable) to have a double relationship going, like in your case, without any need to make up one's mind once and for all ;-)

• Like 1

Andrea - glad you have recovered from your illness in Afghanistan. I for one enjoy your images whatever medium. Welcome back to the real world. ;)

Thanks. Afghanistan got slightly more adventurous than I had hoped, but all went well with proper treatment. In two days I'll be on my way to Japan, with a bag of Tri-X..

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think you can easily get a film 'look' from the M9 with some simple post processing, however there is a certain quality to film and the way it renders the image that makes the photographer 'feel' like the image is more authentic than digital. In reality the manipulations of developing and scanning/printing 35mm or post processing a digital file is no less convoluted and contrived in either case. I like both.

Steve

It's not just the results - I prefer the process of shooting with a film M.

I had a short relationship with my M9 and sold it within a year. The M9 was loud, too chubby, and hollow sounding/feeling. I never could connect with it as I do with my M4 and M6. It wasn't really so much about film versus digital (although I do tend to use film more than digital) but just that the interaction between a film M and a digital M was so radically different for me.

imho, the Leica 'experience' begins and ends with the film M.

• Like 1

The M9 was loud, too chubby, and hollow sounding/feeling.

One of the things I dislike most about my M8.2 is the loud motor re-cock, as it lacks the film M shooting zen. I'm looking forward to trying the new M240 for its quieter nature. I don't mind the bulk, though, as film Ms now seem a bit skinny to me after 4 years with the bigger M.

But, while I loved film, my goal is to make prints and I wasn't about to build a 5th darkroom after another house move. So I reluctantly went the digital camera and 'lightroom' route and, to my surprise, liked what it offered in terms of flexibility and quality of results. Digital prints aren't silver prints, but with proper tools and techniques, the former are no longer inferior, with all types of looks possible.

Whatever gives one joy is what it's all about; good to see that the OP found his niche. It's good that there are so many viable alternatives these days, including hybrid approaches. Different strokes.

Jeff