I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

On 3/15/2023 at 3:19 PM, Kl@usW. said:

Black Forest, Beeches #2

This tree stands on a meadow between the Feldberg and the Belchen mountains,  alt. 1000 m above sea level. Winters are harsh, winds high and the cows don't care, they just nibble away what they find.  So the beeches on the pastures develop a bizarre growth. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Rolleiflex 3,5 Planar; Ilford Ortho, HC 110.   

Really nice shot.  Now you  have to revisit that spot on a foggy day.  I need to dust off my Rollie 3.5F.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

from three fifty seven, an ongoing project since 1991

Leica R3, Summilux-R 50mm f1.4, Fujichrome Provia 100F, Epson V500

https://357deleted.blogspot.com/

https://www.facebook.com/threefiftysevenofficial

• Like 15

8 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Double header
MP, Summilux-M 75, Portra 160

Outstanding photograph in many regards. I'm not mentioning the obvious composition-wise, but the positive conversion colour and white balance are nailed perfectly. I know from experience that is the big challenge with colour film photography besides the actual shooting. (Perhaps the shadows could have been a tad cooler ...)

Edited by hansvons
  • Like 1

This is by far my favourite thread on these forums. The reason is not the preposition that all photos must be shot on celluloid. It's the inevitable mixture of skill and failure that always goes hand in hand when things get truly creative and people are fighting their own and the medium's shortcomings. And perhaps, perhaps, this is what Leica is about deep down when all the lustre and brand brilliance is stripped away. Brilliant.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hansvons said:

Outstanding photograph in many regards. I'm not mentioning the obvious composition-wise, but the positive conversion colour and white balance are nailed perfectly. I know from experience that is the big challenge with colour film photography besides the actual shooting. (Perhaps the shadows could have been a tad cooler ...)

Thank you! I was annoyed with myself for shooting with the van in the picture. There was probably time to wait till it had passed.

I agree about the shadows. Often it takes me time to see colour issues - too often after I have posted them - I should live with them longer before doing anything with them.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I was annoyed with myself for shooting with the van in the picture

I find the van zero distracting. It creates some counterweight and adds to the genre street. I meant the mannerist reflection play, which is kitschy but good (otherwise, you hadn't taken the shot in the first place). Only the bloke's appearance is questionable (albeit the colour works nicely). But we live in today's fashion styles, which frequently collide with what one typically expects when seeing analogue images with their yesterday's look and feel. In B&W, that's even starker.

Edited by hansvons
  • Like 2

Leica M2, Zeiss Planar 50/2 ZM, Kodak Ektar 100

• Like 15

Portra 160 - Roland 6x4,5

• Like 16