I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Second attempt at the same object, this time at f/2.8 instead of f/4, avoiding the camera shake.  What a difference a stop makes ...  The old Elmarit-R 90 wide-open can be very charming.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 12

Needful things, 2022

MP, Summilux 35mm f/1.4 ASPH FLE, Kodak Vision3 500T, ECN2

• Like 18

Tra sabbia e mare

Piscinas, Sardegna
Leica M3, Elmarit 90 IV, Ilford FP4+

P.S. I've read that some of you convert their negatives by using Silverfast and then edit them in Lightroom/Photoshop. My workflow is the same, but there has always been a problem that drives me crazy: very often, the exported image looks very different from how the image looks in the editing panel, thereby making the whole process basically pointless. I've contacted both the Adobe and the Silverfast technical assistance, but no solution has been found so far...Do any of you experience the same issue?

• Like 5

It looks different in silverfast than in PS and LR? Does it look the same in PS and LR?

I do not know Silverfast. But it sounds like silverfast does not use or embedd profiles.
That could be a reason why they differ. It is not easy to tell because we do not know the colormanagement settings in your applications…

• Thanks 1

Nikon F2 using Adox CMS20 II rated at 6 ISO

• Like 14

• Like 19

Advertisement (gone after registration)

46 minutes ago, verwackelt said:

It looks different in silverfast than in PS and LR? Does it look the same in PS and LR?

I do not know Silverfast. But it sounds like silverfast does not use or embedd profiles.
That could be a reason why they differ. It is not easy to tell because we do not know the colormanagement settings in your applications…

The imported image in LR/PS looks exactly the same as the one exported from Silverfast. The shift occurs between the edited image in LR/PS (as it is displayed in the editing panel) and the exported image, irrespectively of the file format (.tiff, JPG, DNG) and colour profile (Adobe RGB, sRGB, Display P3, etc.) associated to the latter.

Yes, you're right, Silverfast does not associate a color profile to the B&W images, which are scanned simply as greyscale.

I was told that a the Gamma gradation could cause the issue, but I checked and it is 2.2 in Silverfast, as it should be (so I'm told by the Silverfast technician), and the import profile "Adobe standard" in LR/PS should not change it.  

Sorry for the OT, I was just curious to see whether anybody else ever had this problem...

Edited by 4r36

5 minutes ago, 4r36 said:

The imported image in LR/PS looks exactly the same as the one exported from Silverfast. The shift occurs within the edited image in LR/PS (as it is displayed in the editing panel) and the exported image, irrespectively of the file format (.tiff, JPG, DNG) and colour profile (Adobe RGB, sRGB, Display P3, etc.) associated to the latter.

Yes, you're right, Silverfast does not associate a color profile to the B&W images, which are scanned simply as greyscale.

I was told that a the Gamma gradation could cause the issue, but I checked and it is 2.2 in Silverfast, as it should be (so I'm told by the Silverfast technician), and the import profile "Adobe standard" in LR/PS should not change it.  

Sorry for the OT, I'm just curious to see whether anybody else ever had this problem...

Is this issue happening with black and white images coming from silverfast only?

I never faced this issue, but if the image looks ok when you import it, I’d suggest to double check the export settings first…

Did you try to set the image as greyscale (in photoshop). Not to sure what the effect of a colour profile on a greyscale image is actually 🤔

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Aryel said:

Is this issue happening with black and white images coming from silverfast only?

I never faced this issue, but if the image looks ok when you import it, I’d suggest to double check the export settings first…

Did you try to set the image as greyscale (in photoshop). Not to sure what the effect of a colour profile on a greyscale image is actually 🤔

Didn't try actually!

1 hour ago, 4r36 said:

Tra sabbia e mare
  Piscinas, Sardegna
Leica M3, Elmarit 90 IV, Ilford FP4+

P.S. I've read that some of you convert their negatives by using Silverfast and then edit them in Lightroom/Photoshop. My workflow is the same, but there has always been a problem that drives me crazy: very often, the exported image looks very different from how the image looks in the editing panel, thereby making the whole process basically pointless. I've contacted both the Adobe and the Silverfast technical assistance, but no solution has been found so far...Do any of you experience the same issue?

Hi,  I don't use anything like SF or VS or LR software.  Just the factory software of the Nikon scanner 5000 with linear curve (no modification)  scan in TIFF until the end post in JPEG,  unique and mandatory digital step of scanning . Scan in TIFF and 16 bits I manage to have a size of 120 MB sufficient for my color palette or sufficient for my gray scales in Black White

I avoid any correction or distortion due to additional software such as LR or PS or Vuescan or SF in addition to my software to scan . People who are used to photographing digitally must go through these multiple useless softwares with loss of time and money.

Best

Henry

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 250swb said:

3 hours ago, 250swb said:

Steve superb black and white tone pictures with your choice at 6 Isos

Best

Henry

For Phil 😀

Hello to the community of the two paws 😂

Kodachrome 64-Leica MP-50 Summilux Asph

Scan in TIFF Nikon Scan CS 5000 with Nikon factory software in "linear curve"  - the only digital step when I scan

Size 120 MO- scan "option Kodachrome"

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 13

vor 3 Stunden schrieb 4r36:

Silverfast does not associate a color profile to the B&W images, which are scanned simply as greyscale.

Can LR handle greyscale pictures or is it converting them internal to RGB? Asking because i use only C1. Maybe LR converts them to RGB and is doing awkward things then? Try to scan the b&w negative as RGB color and desaturate later in LR or PS. Or convert to b&w with channel mixer. Greyscale-> RGB always was a bit different in appearance than a total RGB workflow…

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, verwackelt said:

Can LR handle greyscale pictures or is it converting them internal to RGB? Asking because i use only C1. Maybe LR converts them to RGB and is doing awkward things then? Try to scan the b&w negative as RGB color and desaturate later in LR or PS. Or convert to b&w with channel mixer. Greyscale-> RGB always was a bit different in appearance than a total RGB workflow…

Thanks a lot, I'll definitely have a try!

• Like 1

LEAN Chalk
MP APO 50 ADOX Mission
Street Cy Twombly

• Like 9

Lagoon Stories JMW Turner 
MP APO 50 ADOX Mission

• Like 16

Banksy in Venice:

Leica M4-P - Cron 35 - Film Washi S

• Like 13

Kapparot. Mea Shearim, Jerusalem. 2022

Nikon F3, Voigtlander Color Skopar 28mm f/2.8, Kodak Vision3 500T, CS41

• Like 13

Some from Black Point Beach in Narragansett, RI. Largely undiscovered, it's one of the most beautiful spots in New England, I think. HB 500 50 FLE, Tri-X in Pyrocat

• Like 11

• Like 13