I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Snow flurry outside - time to savor remembrance of late summer days ...

"In the Waiting Loop", Gargnano, Lago di Garda, Lombardia, Italia

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Nikon F2A, Nikkor 28mm f/2.0, Kodak Color Plus 200

https://www.flickr.com/photos/contrelamontre/

Edited by Guest

San Francisco, Leica M2, 7Artisans 50mm f1.1, HP5 @ 800

• Like 18

The Spring Walk, Botanic Gardens, Sydney 

Xpan, Porta 800

Edited by hillavoider
  • Like 15

• Like 14

• Like 18

2 hours ago, stray cat said:

retired opal miner, coober pedy, south australia 2002

nikon, 20-35, ektachrome

Is that tunnel mining, e.g. coal, or digging into the earth in more of a strip mining method? Nice shot.

Wayne

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Wayne said:

Is that tunnel mining, e.g. coal, or digging into the earth in more of a strip mining method? Nice shot.

Wayne

Thank you Wayne and good question. I had to look it up. I mean, there are holes everywhere ("Over the years, miners have dug over 250,000 shafts, making Coober Pedy a dangerous place for tourists to walk around carelessly.") So I'd say tunnel mining, although I don't think the holes are all that deep, not like some coal mines. The locals told us while we were there that if people don't like you, or you do something to piss them off, you end up in one of those holes with half a stick of gelignite following you in. So we made sure we were on our best behaviour, because I kind of got the impression those stories were at least half true. People live in some of the old shafts that have been dug into the sides of hills, too, because it provides some respite from the unrelenting heat. It's a really weird place.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

He's gone now. I recall an interview, I think with Keith Richards, where it was related that he didn't like touring; used to pack only one or two changes of clothing, like it was just going to be an over-nighter. My favorite Stone. I was 9. I was going through Flickriver, looking at Old Standard photos; came across this. I loved Charlie. He always had that: ...."How did I get here" look.

Says it was taken with a Rolleiflex.

Have a beer in his memory.

Edited by Wayne
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Locomotive Detail, Old Sacramento California

Yashica Mat 124G
80mm f/3.5 Yashinon
Kodak Panatomic-X Professional (FXP), Expired 1982, exposed at ISO 25, HC-110B

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Wayne said:

He's gone now. I recall an interview, I think with Keith Richards, where it was related that he didn't like touring; used to pack only one or two changes of clothing, like it was just going to be an over-nighter. My favorite Stone. I was 9.

Says it was taken with a Rolleiflex.

Have a beer in his memory.

I was lucky enough to see the Stones live in 1973 in Melbourne, when they had Mick Taylor on guitar. Bill Wyman just stood there as if rooted to the spot laying down those awesome bass lines, which you could actually hear when the band was live (they always mixed them way down on record for some reason). Mick Taylor was much the same, perhaps still a little bit the new guy. Keith would be far more animated, strolling the stage and pulling out great riff after great riff (it was essentially the same set as they played on their '72 US tour). Mick would be Jagger, the highlight being in Midnight Rambler when he got down on the floor of the stage, which looked like a swimming pool, and beat it with his belt during the slower part.

Charlie stayed there, at the back, his mind in some faraway place, keeping that rock solid rhythm. No fuss, no fanfare, just immaculate grooves pushing the band to beyond brilliant. What a concert! Yeah, I'll have a beer to Charlie anytime.

This is good. How did he ever get away with just a couple of changes of clothes??? https://www.gq.com/story/charlie-watts-style-interview-rolling-stones-drummer

How did you come to take that wonderful picture, Wayne?

Edited by stray cat
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, stray cat said:

I was lucky enough to see the Stones live in 1973 in Melbourne, when they had Mick Taylor on guitar. Bill Wyman just stood there as if rooted to the spot laying down those awesome bass lines, which you could actually hear when the band was live (they always mixed them way down on record for some reason). Mick Taylor was much the same, perhaps still a little bit the new guy. Keith would be far more animated, strolling the stage and pulling out great riff after great riff (it was essentially the same set as they played on their '72 US tour). Mick would be Jagger, the highlight being in Midnight Rambler when he got down on the floor of the stage, which looked like a swimming pool, and beat it with his belt during the slower part.

Charlie stayed there, at the back, his mind in some faraway place, keeping that rock solid rhythm. No fuss, no fanfare, just immaculate grooves pushing the band to beyond brilliant. What a concert! Yeah, I'll have a beer to Charlie anytime.

This is good. How did he ever get away with just a couple of changes of clothes??? https://www.gq.com/story/charlie-watts-style-interview-rolling-stones-drummer

How did you come to take that wonderful picture, Wayne?

I didn't take it. Found it on Flickriver.com. Just wanted to share. Hope I did not break any rules. Used link to post.

Best.

Wayne

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, cobbu2 said:

Locomotive Detail, Old Sacramento California

Yashica Mat 124G
80mm f/3.5 Yashinon
Kodak Panatomic-X Professional (FXP), Expired 1982, exposed at ISO 25, HC-110B

Really lovely tonal range Allan, and the composition is fun too.

Well done on such slow (and contrasty) very old film.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, david strachan said:

Really lovely tonal range Allan, and the composition is fun too.

Well done on such slow (and contrasty) very old film.

Thank you very much David! I've kept a small stash frozen all this time and it still delivers lovely results.

• Like 1

Middle Head, Sydney

M6, 35mm Summilux, Fuji Pro 400H

• Like 17

Sandwich Bay, Kent in the evening twilight.

Nikon F with Leitaxed Elmarit-R 35 (II) @ f/2.8 on Kodak ProImage100.

• Like 13