I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

On 12/3/2021 at 6:56 PM, Ouroboros said:

Shelter.

It's difficult to say what this structure was intended for or when it was made.  I think it was a wind shelter because it faces the direction of the prevailing south westerlies that we have here in the western Isles.  It's impossible  to guess when it may have been erected but the two large boulders that form the sides are ideally placed to be incorporated into a shelter of some sort.

There are a couple of driftwood logs in the structure, one is utilised as a lintel, the other was possibly used as a seat, it may even have had a roof at some point.  

There are many remains of odd structures around the Islands, some dating from prehistoric times and others that are much more recent.  The original purpose of many of them is long forgotten and it's possible that some, such is with this one, may have been rebuilt and reutilised several times over many years.

This small headland is a pleasant 20 minute walk from the northern end of Traigh Losgaintir.  There is a lot of prehistoric archaeology here with the remains of several hut circles and a perimeter wall which possibly date back to the Bronze Age as with other similar sites on the Islands.

Hasselblad 503cw

Zeiss 50mm distagon CFi

Tri-X in Rodinal 1:50

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I concur with Phil: thanks for your wonderful pictures so much enriched and coming to life with the explanatory texts. I never ventured as far north in the UK, but your photos make me want to go and have a look at those places in person (and - of course - through the lens of a Leica). 

13 hours ago, chrism said:

Homage to Mr Miller (you have to be an old member to get that!) Pen-Fv, Rollei Retro 80S, Diafine.

He's back!! 😶

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

It was cold here yesterday but the sun was bright and I decided to take a walk round the empty house next door. It hasn't had anyone in  it for ten years and that poor chap lived in one room, while the rest belonged to raccoons and rats. It's the house between mine and the funeral home, but really, it's a nice neighbourhood! This is the basement door:

Pen-FV, 42/1.2, Rollei Retro 80S, Diafine.

Edited by chrism
  • Like 16

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Never wake a sleeping horse ... 🤔

MP, 75, Foma400

• Like 14
  • Haha 3

I know there are some people with much more knowledge than I will ever collect around here, so I am certain you will know where I made this picture today and what influences originated from this place. It might be a bit easy to discover :) 

Minolta Autocord - Kodak T-Max 400 (dev. in Rodinal 1+25)

• Like 13
  • Haha 5

vor 23 Stunden schrieb chrism:

Homage to Mr Miller (you have to be an old member to get that!) Pen-Fv, Rollei Retro 80S, Diafine.

Sure, many of us remember  the pictures of the low sun and life in the canyons of NY, but life goes on. In the meanwhile we are enjoying  your pictures,  Chris.

"The third man"  sprang to my mind. 

vor 20 Stunden schrieb Ernest:

Loading Mondrian
MDa Summaron-M Fuji Natura 1600

vor 20 Stunden schrieb Ernest:

Slant One 
MDa Summaron-M Fuji Natura 1600

Rog, the MDa-Summaron combo seems to fuel a creative outburst. The "Loading Mondrian" and "Slant One" are  just excellent. I admire your never failing judgement on colors and shapes. 

Edited by Kl@usW.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dreams, 2021

Mamiya 645 1000s | 80mm f/1.9 | Kodak 160NC 

• Like 15

On 12/4/2021 at 5:09 PM, bags27 said:

The Peter Jackson "Let It Be" is worth seeing. McCartney was so astonishingly creative and energetic in the face of lethargy from Lennon and Harrison. Linda was just pregnant with Mary and snapping photos that's in the current exhibit. 

Thank you Ken, for that recommendation. We started watching it last night and it does look incredibly fascinating. And as of now we only have about 8 hours of it left!

• Haha 2

Autumn colours #4    

The sunny mood and the colors don´t betray it--but it is actually a memorial park for the unidentified victims of WWII of the  town. 

MP; SEM 21; Portra 400@320

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, chrism said:

A room with a view:

Probably not what Jhabvala had in mind. 😀  Chris--you're really an inspiration for how you turn everything nearby into something of interest.

There's the classic pull between looking far and wide for the subject of impact and discovering--almost inventing--that subject within. In "Breaking Bad" Jesse asks Jane why Georgia O'Keeffe would paint the same door over and over, and of course Jane replies that O'Keeffe saw it differently each time. Like Monet, etc...

Edited by bags27
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1