I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

17 hours ago, Sparkassenkunde said:

Another picture from today's walk. I still have to figure out where this light leak came from. I will try to seal the camera with some wool thread at two points of the back door and see if this is enough. Another thing a explored was the fact that it is not necessary to check through the red window at the bottom after every winding - this way I only got eight shots out of 12 as the numbers didn't match the frame counter...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Rolleicord I from 1934 - Ilford FP4+ (dev. in Rodinal 1+50)

This does look similar to " red/orange window"  light intrusion I once experienced on an old Plaubel Roll-op camera I occasionally shoot. I did not experience it on every shot as I was not checking/exposing the window to direct sunlight on every shot. Backing paper thickness on newer film is not as thick as that on older film, causing photo spacing to be incorrect when relying on the automatic advance mechanism (a pretty ingenious ratchet mechanism) on the old Roll-Op; forcing me to open the window cover to properly advance film.  In your first photo it looks like you might have been standing in a shaded area, but in the light leak photo it appears as though there may have been direct sunlight on you. If I recall correctly, the red window on the old Rolleicords is positioned in such a manner that the 6x9 reference for 1 is indicated in a window on the bottom of the camera, to start the roll.

It does appear this is a true Rolleicord I. I would guess you have the film counter on the left side of the camera (bulbous protrusion, rather than a simple counter window.) The counter on my Art-Deco is the same, and is sluggish- will not return to zero automatically- when I depress the reset button. If, when resetting the counter, I hold the reset button down and use a wooden toothpick to manually move the counter wheel to "1" (after loading and advancing film to 1 in the red window) the left side counter mechanism does work properly when advancing the film via normal use of the film advance knob.

I have now loaded and used the camera in the above manner for several rolls of film. I think the sluggishness of the counter reset function is simply a manifestation of of gunk in the counter mechanism, rather than any damage to anything. Prompting reset rotation with the toothpick has not caused any apparent damage to the sticky counter wheel.

Best

Wayne

OBTW, it is a sin to retire a Rolleicord/Rolleiflex camera that can still be effectively used. :)

Edited by Wayne
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Retired box-spring.

Leica IIIA, 28 Hektor LTM, Portra 400 Cold processed.

• Like 15
  • Haha 2

Last of the roll...

FM3a, redscaled Lomo 800CN

• Like 16

4 hours ago, Wayne said:

Retired box-spring.

Leica IIIA, 28 Hektor LTM, Portra 400 Cold processed.

Wonderful photo. Gives me an idea for a complete gallery. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 5 Stunden schrieb Wayne:

This does look similar to " red/orange window"  light intrusion I once experienced on an old Plaubel Roll-op camera I occasionally shoot. I did not experience it on every shot as I was not checking/exposing the window to direct sunlight on every shot. Backing paper thickness on newer film is not as thick as that on older film, causing photo spacing to be incorrect when relying on the automatic advance mechanism (a pretty ingenious ratchet mechanism) on the old Roll-Op; forcing me to open the window cover to properly advance film.  In your first photo it looks like you might have been standing in a shaded area, but in the light leak photo it appears as though there may have been direct sunlight on you. If I recall correctly, the red window on the old Rolleicords is positioned in such a manner that the 6x9 reference for 1 is indicated in a window on the bottom of the camera, to start the roll.

It does appear this is a true Rolleicord I. I would guess you have the film counter on the left side of the camera (bulbous protrusion, rather than a simple counter window.) The counter on my Art-Deco is the same, and is sluggish- will not return to zero automatically- when I depress the reset button. If, when resetting the counter, I hold the reset button down and use a wooden toothpick to manually move the counter wheel to "1" (after loading and advancing film to 1 in the red window) the left side counter mechanism does work properly when advancing the film via normal use of the film advance knob.

I have now loaded and used the camera in the above manner for several rolls of film. I think the sluggishness of the counter reset function is simply a manifestation of of gunk in the counter mechanism, rather than any damage to anything. Prompting reset rotation with the toothpick has not caused any apparent damage to the sticky counter wheel.

Best

Wayne

OBTW, it is a sin to retire a Rolleicord/Rolleiflex camera that can still be effectively used. :)

Thank you, Wayne, for this good and helpful advice! You are right in every aspect. As I mentioned, I tried to control the frame count and checked in the window at the bottom for every single frame. In my next attempt I will try to rely on the frame counter, which is as sticky as yours. If the counter reaches the 12 and I press the release button, it goes down to 10 and after that a little help is needed to get it back to 1. I use my old cameras on a „once in a while“ basis - not as often as they deserve, but quite regularly. With all there little quirks they give that something I often miss with newer gear. With this special camera I have the idea to make a portrait series with my aunt a good forty years after the last session. I will probably do a side by side comparison with my Minolta Autocord.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sparkassenkunde said:

Thank you, Wayne, for this good and helpful advice! You are right in every aspect. As I mentioned, I tried to control the frame count and checked in the window at the bottom for every single frame. In my next attempt I will try to rely on the frame counter, which is as sticky as yours. If the counter reaches the 12 and I press the release button, it goes down to 10 and after that a little help is needed to get it back to 1. I use my old cameras on a „once in a while“ basis - not as often as they deserve, but quite regularly. With all there little quirks they give that something I often miss with newer gear. With this special camera I have the idea to make a portrait series with my aunt a good forty years after the last session. I will probably do a side by side comparison with my Minolta Autocord.

One other possible solution, and I think it quite fun, is to install a Rolleikin 1 on the camera. It allows use of 35mm film (portrait configuration) and will also resolve the film advance issue because the red window and normal frame counter no longer play a role in film advance. It is a quite unique process and result. I love the Triotar triplet.

Best,

Wayne

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From a walk with 6x6:

Rolleicord - Ilford FP4+ (dev. in Rodinal 1+50)

• Like 18

The coast was pretty windy this last Sunday. I got wet, the camera got wet, but it was fun

Mamiya 645, Sekor 80/2.8, Ilford HP5@800

• Like 18
  • Haha 1

Chinatown San Francisco, Leica M2, 7Artisans 50mm f1.1, HP5 @ 800.

• Like 12

San Francisco, Leica M2, 7Artisans 50mm f1.1, HP5 @ 800.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dimm said:

Mamiya 645 1000s | 80mm f/1.9 | Ilford FP4, D76 1:1

What a wonderful example of the difference between film and digital. Few would find this acceptable in digital rendering, but as an expression of film rendering it has so much charm and interest!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Camera: mini - feelings: MAXI

Leica Minilux - Agfa CT 100 Precisa

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

Eavesdroppers
MDa Summaron-M Fuji ACROS II 100

Edited by Ernest
  • Like 17