I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

44 minutes ago, stray cat said:

Really like the perspective here, Klaus, and the framing. Enough information but not too much. This would make a great print.

m2, 35mm summaron, yellow filter, xp2 super

wow. that's perfect! great tones, perfect grain...just great.

• Like 1

Pittsburg

M6, 50/2 Summitar + Adapter, Delta 3200

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by cobbu2
  • Like 19

vor 16 Stunden schrieb dimm:

Ayana, 2021

Mamiya 645 1000s | 80mm f/1.9 | Fuji Neopan Acros 100, Rodinal 1:100 semi-stand

Very good! I like the idea with lights and shadows!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Juice time

Minolta cle, summaron-m 28, sfx200 (rodinal 1:50)

• Like 16
  • Haha 1

Another Rodinal experiment 

Minolta cle, Rollei 40f2.8, sfx200 (rodinal 1:50)

• Like 15

More half-frame, but didn't get the focus quite right this time:

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Am 10.11.2021 um 23:36 schrieb bags27:

Wow, Klaus, those fantastic tones! PanF in natural light!!

Thank you Ken. To be honest, I was a bit unsure about the outcome ...    PanF and !! a characterless high contrast" non Mandler lens...😆, ominous. 

The picture turned out contrast wise better than anticipated--maybe because I've tried a new to me but well described  approach to the film: overexpose and under develop. Overex about one third, under dev about -15 %   ( you may leave the calculating to the "mass dev" app on your mobile phone )  So far this approach  seems to make  the PanF a bit less capricious. 

Am 10.11.2021 um 23:47 schrieb stray cat:

harbinger 2021

rolleiflex, 50mm, velvia 50

Great photo, Phil. Here the square MF really shines... 

Am 11.11.2021 um 13:50 schrieb chrism:

Half-frame XP2 Super:

Chris, this is one of  my current favorites of your ongoing portrait work. The vertical half format with that lens seems to be great for this kind of photography. 

vor 9 Stunden schrieb Bo-Sixten:

Cogito, ergo sum. Hasselblad, Tri-X. Dusty oldies, Stockholm, 1982.

He--she ? -- probably is thinking about the  difference of the elegant  french original -je pense donc je suis-  opposed to the harsh sounding latin translation. Not to speak of the german version... Anyway, great photo.    

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Putting my feet up.

Pen-F, 42mm/f1.2, Pan F, Diafine:

• Like 10
  • Haha 4

M7, Summaron 28, Portra 400

• Like 15

On 11/12/2021 at 2:47 PM, stray cat said:

drive-in 2021

canon, 80-200, Agfa vista 400

This is one of those disarming minimalist compositions that is easily dismissed until it is married to the title of “drive-in,” particularly in a proscenium framed by the paralysis of pandemic. It is the fearful white screen in broad daylight, tabula rasa, playing nothingness. We can only imagine the sounds of cars parking in rows to watch a film after the sun goes down. Masterful minimalism to add to your intriguing series on your website of “the presence of absence.“ This brings to mind Hiroshi Sugimoto‘s Theatres and his inventive technique of very long exposures inside theatres playing a film, resulting in an exposure of what looks like a white theatre screen inside the dimly lit theatre. The history of images leaving nothing, the presence of absence. Then, there is an oblique nod to Edward Hopper and his “New York Movie” painting, 1939, dark and lonely. Your “drive-in” is bright and lonely, waiting to assert itself in the darkness of night. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Ernest said:

This is one of those disarming minimalist compositions that is easily dismissed until it is married to the title of “drive-in,” particularly in a proscenium framed by the paralysis of pandemic. It is the fearful white screen in broad daylight, tabula rasa, playing nothingness. We can only imagine the sounds of cars parking in rows to watch a film after the sun goes down. Masterful minimalism to add to your intriguing series on your website of “the presence of absence.“ This brings to mind Hiroshi Sugimoto‘s Theatres and his inventive technique of very long exposures inside theatres playing a film, resulting in an exposure of what looks like a white theatre screen inside the dimly lit theatre. The history of images leaving nothing, the presence of absence. Then, there is an oblique nod to Edward Hopper and his “New York Movie” painting, 1939, dark and lonely. Your “drive-in” is bright and lonely, waiting to assert itself in the darkness of night. 

Thank you so much Rog for your very kind words. It is a very great privilege to have a drive-in theatre in the vicinity, and it has become a place I'll often go when I want some photographic inspiration. Not when the movies are playing, mind you - I find the whole concept of a drive-in theatre during the daytime quite fascinating. I should actually go along and see a movie, as I'd hate for this one to go the same way as so many others, at least before its time.

When you speak of the impact of Sugimoto's wonderful pictures (not to mention my favourite, Edward Hopper! In fact I have had that very painting, “New York Movie”, as my computer's desktop image for some time now :).) I remembered I'd taken the following picture a few years ago at the same theatre (same screen even) for a book my wife and I were producing. Probably the last time I saw a movie there (gulp!). From memory, the movie was called "Maid In Manhattan" and as I recall it was pretty dreadful:

drive-in ii 2003

mamiya 645, 45mm lens, ektachrome e100vs (drum scan)

Edited by stray cat
  • Like 15

m3, summicron50 rigid, TriX (rodinal 1:50)

• Like 14

Same as above 🙂

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1