I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 11/7/2021 at 7:57 AM, Kl@usW. said:

Thank you Rog, that's really interesting. I was hesitant to disclose my MD-2s peculiarities--but since you open the box: No, no heating or  cooling of the  top plate of the MD2.... And I'm happy about that because otherwise  I'd be in constant fear my index finger might freeze  on the "Leitz" logo.... 

No, with the MD2  it´s a hidden, undocumented feature; a man-machine thing.  As soon as your MDa would become "hot", my shutter release button will say  " Yes, Yes, Yesss !! " by a vibration, inducing a kind of tingling, electric feeling on my finger tip. "Garbage" on the other hand  is indicated by "No, no,  NOOO !!! " ; a rotation of the shutter release button, clearly a different feeling, not to be mistaken. 

As you know, the late Dr. Walter Mandler was on of the heroes of Midland, leaving behind a huge following of enthusiasts, still hailing the "Mandler Glow" , the "Mandler Magic" , " Mandlers  little gem" and so forth. Critics of this cult say  the teaching can be reduced to the slogan: better pictures by more abberrations and less contrast... but that´s a different story.  The interesting thing is, the Mandler spirit might have found it´s way into that MD2 ! Walter put an end to calculating by spreadsheets but got the computer into camera construction ! And here my suspicion: Mandler gave up the space consuming metering system to make room for the MM MD , the integrated circuitry of Mandler´s man machine device !  Possibly, heating or cooling the metal is V1, a clumsy effort of the Wetzlar crew, while my rotation of the shutter release is at least V 2...who knows. Perhaps there's even a menu hidden somewhere so you can choose....?  Sigh, so little do we know, so much research to be done.... I'm off now to  get the   feeling again ( of the magic shutter release ) ... 😇

Clearly, you are getting a greenlight from Netflix to develop this at least into a podcast with an eye to Series Production because there is more than whiff of stealth here. Leica has courted the stealth persona, but nowhere is it more stealthy than the development of the MDa and the MD-2, looking like undercover prototypes blind to radar detection with their sightless top plate. The fashionistas will argue between the camo all-weather pull-over or the blend-into-crowd 18% gray parka with concealed 35mm pouch pockets for quickdraw film flavors. 

• Haha 3

Always Somehow
M-A Thambar-M CS  ADOX Color Implosion

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 19

Fuji GSW 690iii Using Chris's formula of XP2-Super @ISO 100 (red filter) with HC110 1:47 (around 6 minutes)

Edited by bags27
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

Same stuff as above but worth a note. My Mamiya 7 is getting repaired and meanwhile thought I'd experiment with maximum depth of field, choosing a subject with lots of verticals and horizontals on multiple planes. Tough with the Fuji as it's equivalent 28mm fixed and f/5.6 max. On top of that, very windy day at the harbor, blew my tripod around a bit, especially every time I tried to change speed and aperture, which are on the very edge of the lens. I took 5 shots from f/8 to f/32, with red filter, starting at 1/500 and working down.

I combined them all on PS/automate/photomerge, and, because the photos were all a bit off from one another, thought it wouldn't work. But the new PS uses AI and astonishingly came out with a 800mps file that combined the best of each and was relatively sharp from the nearest to the farthest.  This was just a test, and I'm both happy that it worked and a little despondent that I could mess up a fair amount and some algorithms could bail me out. Soft around the edges, but that's the lens, I think.

Edited by bags27
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Bad old days on city streets. Kodakcolor 400, a bit faded. M4P 90/2

• Like 11

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Closest we've been to France since the lockdowns started.  At least there is somewhere to have a picnic while peering through the grain ...

Nikon F2 with Leitax-converted Summicron-R 50 (II) on Kodak ProImage 100.

• Like 15

The Black Bridge across the Colorado River in the Grand Canyon, from the South Kaibab Trail.Pentax Espio 24EW, Fuji Provia.

The second photo is not film but gives the history of the bridge. 

• Like 17

12 hours ago, bags27 said:

Fuji GSW 690iii Using Chris's formula of XP2-Super @ISO 100 (red filter) with HC110 1:47 (around 6 minutes)

Just for the record, I use 1+49 to make the arithmetic easier. I don't think it makes any difference to the development either way though!

• Thanks 1

Am 5.11.2021 um 18:41 schrieb Shlomo:

Sicily from the train. Stazione Acirealia

Nikon F3 HP, Nikkor AiS 35mm 1:1.4, Fuji Pro 400H

Really like it a lot!! I am very happy that from time to time you feed your camera with a film to present us your wonderful photos!

Am 6.11.2021 um 22:33 schrieb dimm:

Fashion, 2021

M2 | Summaron 28mm f/5.6 | HP5+, Max dev 1;4

Great scene!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The following installation was called "Light Guardians"

Minolta Autocord - Kodak Ektachrome

• Like 18
  • Haha 1

Half-frame goodness, Pen-F, 60mm/f1.5, XP2 @200, Diafine:

• Like 15

12 miles into the Grand Canyon, on the North Kaibab Trail, first photo, looking back at the rim I came from, second photo, looking ahead at the rim I am heading for. Pentax Espio 24EW, Fuji Provia.

• Like 12