I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Another portrait from the archives: Sri Chinmoy at the U.N.  He had followers such as musicians Carlos Santana, John McLaughlin, Narada Michael Walden, Roberta Flack, and Clarence Clemons. TX

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 13

And not playing a flute in this photo? I used to visit the vegetarian restaurant started by his disciples in Halifax, NS in 1981. It was called Satisfaction Feast, and the food was the usual tasteless kind of rice, beans and very little seasoning. Wife being vegetarian, sacrifices had to be made. For some reason, that kind of vegetarian restaurant always offers fruit crumbles and custard as a dessert, and one cannot get that wrong! Sadly the whole business dissolved with the sexual accusations that seem to occur in many such organisations/c*lts.

Don't let my memories detract from your excellent portrait! It's very good.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, chrism said:

Thank you, Otto. This was with the F6 and 85/1.4. The masochism comes from trying to make PET base films play along with Rondinax or Lab-Box developing tanks. There are several problems and you're supposed to avoid those films with those tanks.

Masochism not, Maestro chrism. 

A really good photograph. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, romquest said:

Brooke Shields, actress and model, a very long time ago. TX - 90/2

I do hope you have lots more of these! Portraits like this and the one of Sri Chinmoy really excite me.

Edited by chrism
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

My first scans after a hiatus of 6 months.... 

Evening walk on the beach. 

MP; 2,4/35; yellow filter, Delta 100, DDX

Talk about menage a trois! You certainly have a flair for dimensionality in the land of Belplasca. Bravo!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, chrism said:

I do hope you have lots more of these! Portraits like this and the one of Sri Chinmoy really excite me.

Glad you enjoy them. I am dipping in the old stuff gradually and will post as I get the scans right. It’s very fun (and humbling) to share with such a talented group of people. 

And not playing a flute in this photo? I used to visit the vegetarian restaurant started by his disciples in Halifax, NS in 1981. It was called Satisfaction Feast, and the food was the usual tasteless kind of rice, beans and very little seasoning. Wife being vegetarian, sacrifices had to be made. For some reason, that kind of vegetarian restaurant always offers fruit crumbles and custard as a dessert, and one cannot get that wrong! Sadly the whole business dissolved with the sexual accusations that seem to occur in many such organisations/c*lts.

Don't let my memories detract from your excellent portrait! It's very good.

Yes he is mostly forgotten but was a huge force in his time. And you got to suffer his cuisine! I am jealous 🙏

• Haha 2

P50, Contax, Fujifilm ASTIA 100F RAP

• Like 16

12 hours ago, chrism said:

Thank you, Otto. This was with the F6 and 85/1.4. The masochism comes from trying to make PET base films play along with Rondinax or Lab-Box developing tanks. There are several problems and you're supposed to avoid those films with those tanks.

Would I have problems with PET based films in a simple AP tank then?

9 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

R

Wayne, these vignettes of the urban life in an American town are wonderful. Think about the huge bridge between Riga 1938 and Indiana 2021.... Amazing. Walter would be proud of you. 

Thank you Klaus. I think of Walter Zapp frequently when I pull any of my Minox cameras out. It is a shame how little is documented about the man. In Email conversation with Dong Goldberg, he related that on one occasion a journalist conducted/recorded a pretty extensive interview with Walter, late in Walters life. As it happened, the recording was lost before it could be transcribed. Tragic. Yes. I agree. Walter would be pleased, but probably not too amazed by the fact that this Riga is still being used. They , too, have that certain elegance I mentioned in a previous thread.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, otto.f said:

Would I have problems with PET based films in a simple AP tank then?

No, I don't see why you would. The polyester is too tough for the guillotines in 35mm Rondinax or Lab-Box tanks, and the 120 film is too stiff to reliably separate from the paper and coil up in the holding chamber of Rondinax 60 or Lab-Box tanks with the 120 module. Plus its stiffness makes it hard for the rotating light trap to make a good seal against the film when you take the lid off to clip the strap on the film. Finally, the film base transmits light like a fibre optic and so you can get fogging when the lid is off just through the exposed end of the film. I should probably admit that these films are better developed in a Paterson or Nikor tank.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

My first scans after a hiatus of 6 months.... 

Evening walk on the beach. 

MP; 2,4/35; yellow filter, Delta 100, DDX

Sometimes a photo stops you in your tracks and you become that photo, the waving grass, the rain over the sea for that's me walking at the edge of the surf line tasting the wind.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, romquest said:

Brooke Shields, actress and model, a very long time ago. TX - 90/2

What a fabulous portrait and a warm and expressive face. 

Thought up a torture test to continue my explorations into reduced grain films. Use a half-frame camera, which will double the size of any grain, and rate the XP2 at 1600 for extra cruelty. Turned out OK, and I had such fun using the Pen F that I've decided I must do it a lot more often. Naturally, half-frame means triptych time, and I decided to include myself in each frame. I suppose I could have changed clothes for each so I'd look like triplets rather than just the same boring old fart!

The Pen F is such a delight to use and what a fabulous result.

• Like 2

Leica M3, summicron 50 v1, trix (rodinal 1+50), printed on mgfb and scanned

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

Loch Mharaig and Strathabhal from an Cliseam, Isle of Harris.  Isle of Skye on the horizon.

Fuji GX617
SWD 90mm
Delta 100 in HC-110

Edited by Ouroboros
  • Like 18

1 hour ago, Bateleur said:

Sometimes a photo stops you in your tracks and you become that photo, the waving grass, the rain over the sea for that's me walking at the edge of the surf line tasting the wind.

Exactly my emotional response as well. Thanks for putting it in words!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, romquest said:

Another portrait from the archives: Sri Chinmoy at the U.N.  He had followers such as musicians Carlos Santana, John McLaughlin, Narada Michael Walden, Roberta Flack, and Clarence Clemons. TX

Powerful image of a physically and spiritually powerful man.  Excellent!