I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Agfa Clack, Lomography Potsdam

• Like 16

Soybeans

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

... For a change, one from the archives. Taken in 1975, rediscovered and scanned in 2017.

"Underpass", Maximilianstr., Munich

Kodak Tri-X 400, Canon A1, Canon FD 28mm f/2.8 - Plustek 8200 i SE

Edited by Guest

Coney Island. New York, 2021

Mamiya m645 1000s | 80mm f/2.8 | Fuji Neopan 100 Acros II, N+2, Rodinal 1:100, semi-stand

Edited by dimm
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Am 9.10.2021 um 09:37 schrieb contrelamontre:

Thank you all for the warm welcome and the encouragement, very much appreciated!

"Pictures at an Exhibition", II

Exhibition Peter Lindbergh, Munich 2017
Kodak Tri-X 400, exp. 1984, Canon A1, Canon FD 28mm f/2.8 - Plustek 8200 i SE

well spotted, contrelamontre. I think  the hashtag  here is "inclination" ?  But who wouldn't  bow to Tina Turner... 

Am 9.10.2021 um 18:09 schrieb chrism:

Adox CHS 25 ART in Rodinal 1+50

Your new home, Chrism ?   I wish you and your family a good and happy time in your new  place, congratulations ! 

btw: the Adox 20CMS has not been on my shortlist so far, as it has the reputation as being a bit capricious regarding the midtones---but I'm impressed with your picture. Adox recommends a dedicated developer--but the Rodinal seems to do the job nicely... Did you expose the 20 CMS at box speed ? 

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Wayne:

touches my heart. Old men and their dogs...

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Wayne:

Inspired by bags' Holga shots, broke out the Afga Clack.

Lomography Potsdam, ISO 100

Come on Wayne, compared to the Holga ( Autocorrect tries to convince me it´s Helga ! ),  the Clack is a rock-solid piece of high end engineering--look at the rendering and the sharpness of the real glass lens ! 

btw: very cool to take the Clack to the cemetery .... 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kl@usW. said:

touches my heart. Old men and their dogs...

Come on Wayne, compared to the Holga ( Autocorrect tries to convince me it´s Helga ! ),  the Clack is a rock-solid piece of high end engineering--look at the rendering and the sharpness of the real glass lens ! 

btw: very cool to take the Clack to the cemetery .... 

Thanks, Klaus. It is true, the Clack is hardly comparable to the Holga in rendering. I do enjoy the Holga photos Bag27 posted. I own a Diana Super Wide, but find it very tough to load and advance film in that camera.....Terrible flex in the body. One thing the Holga and Clack do have in common is the amazing freedom in taking shots. I own a 6x6 Agfa Click, but that camera is disabled by the fact that there is no bulb setting.  How in the world did they neglect the bulb setting? The Clack does have a bulb setting.

Best,

Wayne

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

Your new home, Chrism ?   I wish you and your family a good and happy time in your new  place, congratulations ! 

btw: the Adox 20CMS has not been on my shortlist so far, as it has the reputation as being a bit capricious regarding the midtones---but I'm impressed with your picture. Adox recommends a dedicated developer--but the Rodinal seems to do the job nicely... Did you expose the 20 CMS at box speed ?

Yes, we hope to move in a couple of months (only two years behind schedule!) Please note this was not Adox CMS 20, but CHS 25 ART. It doesn't need the special developer, and I was surprised at how nicely it performed. Many of the images - I'll put up some more over the next few days - had to be cropped as I see that A12 back needs a new light seal, yet again. Even so, lots of lovely detail from that slow film! I believe the CHS 25 was actually an Efke product, and was discontinued in 2012. The polyester base is the clearest I have ever seen on a film, which might explain why the negs are so sparkling clear. I believe the still available CHS II 100 is an Adox-made version of the Efke KB100/21, so it may have some of the same properties if you want to try it out. I really can't justify buying more film at present (though I did just order another 500ft of XP2 in case Ilford decide it makes no sense as C-41 processing is now as rare as B&W processing in our High Streets).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

One further thought - maybe it wasn't a light leak, but light-piping through the polyester base? In my ignorance I developed the film in a Lab-Box, so the end of the roll was left out in the light when I took off the lid and clipped the strap onto the end of the film. I'll have to do that in the dark next time.

• Like 1

Pool No. 4 AP6
M-A APO 50 Fuji Natura

• Like 12

14 hours ago, contrelamontre said:

... For a change, one from the archives. Taken in 1975, rediscovered and scanned in 2017.

"Underpass", Maximilianstr., Munich

Kodak Tri-X 400, Canon A1, Canon FD 28mm f/2.8 - Plustek 8200 i SE

Great, and all without some smears, posters or graffiti on the walls. 

Have you gone back and done a recent picture at the same location?

• Like 1

vor einer Stunde schrieb christoph_d:

Great, and all without some smears, posters or graffiti on the walls. 

Have you gone back and done a recent picture at the same location?

Thank you for your interest and the kind feedback!

And indeed I've gone back several times and took a few more different captures. But unfortunately, though we all love film - " The times, they are a-changin' " - and those more up to date photos are taken with digital gear. So, here for an example, if you're interested anyway,  just a link...

https://live.staticflickr.com/648/22952923964_82865bbc39_k.jpg

Thanks again and best regards Hermann

Edited by Guest
Added link.

On 10/10/2021 at 4:43 AM, Nachtmsk said:

Old Hands. Hands of a 99 year old woman.

M4p. Tri-x

Wonderful photograph, over and above the technical quality I am particularly drawn to the beautiful hands and for me so full of expression and sensitivity.

• Like 1

The insulation crew don't believe in carting off their waste.

• Like 8
  • Haha 8

Dig up five rolls of expired(2011) Fujichrome Astia RAP 100F reversal film and many other negative films deep in the refrigerator recently. 

It's about time to roll back to those memories and enjoy the old-school shooting style. I shot two rolls last week and I'll shoot more then.

Rigid Type II, M6

Edited by Erato
wording
  • Like 18

Coney Island. New York, 2021

Mamiya m645 1000s | 80mm f/2.8 | Fuji Neopan 100 Acros II, N+2, HC-110(B)

• Like 14

vor 20 Stunden schrieb chrism:

One further thought - maybe it wasn't a light leak, but light-piping through the polyester base? In my ignorance I developed the film in a Lab-Box, so the end of the roll was left out in the light when I took off the lid and clipped the strap onto the end of the film. I'll have to do that in the dark next time.

Chris, thank you for pointing to the difference between the Adox 20  CMS and the 20 CHS ART.   Adox writes in the data sheet about the PET base of the current CHS 100  II :

The backside layer is tinted in order to protect the film against the lightpiping effect which is immanent

to films on a polyester base. The effect was reduced to a large extend but cannot be fully prevented. Thus CHS 100 II, like any other film on PET base, has to be protected from bright light whilst the film- tongue is sticking out of the cartridge.
Else light will penetrate through the base into the cartridge and fogg the beginning of the film.   

So maybe that was the reason for the fogg... 😁 .   Or at least one of the reasons. 

vor 23 Stunden schrieb Wayne:

Thanks, Klaus. It is true, the Clack is hardly comparable to the Holga in rendering. I do enjoy the Holga photos Bag27 posted. I own a Diana Super Wide, but find it very tough to load and advance film in that camera.....Terrible flex in the body. One thing the Holga and Clack do have in common is the amazing freedom in taking shots. I own a 6x6 Agfa Click, but that camera is disabled by the fact that there is no bulb setting.  How in the world did they neglect the bulb setting? The Clack does have a bulb setting.

Best,

Wayne

Thank you Wayne, I was just kidding a little bit. I love these simple constructions, reduced as much as possible, and going back to the very roots and joys of photography. To be honest about the bulb setting--I use it mainly to check the shutter and the lens and so on. I just sent back an otherwise beautiful and clean  Yashica 124 G because I detected severe lens fogging --using the bulb setting..... Without it, I would be wondering about the soft lens.... 

Btw: j bought a Leica MD-2  recently and just today gave a first run in the Tirolean mountains with a 21mm lens---- as you say, liberating.!  No more disaligned finder patches, no more setting the distance, just shoot.... great !  A little bit like your "ultimate point and shoot" Barnack.. 

vor 10 Stunden schrieb christoph_d:

Fish

MP, 75, Portra160

Ok, it´s just a goldfish-but a very archetypical example of a water creature. I say visceral response ! 

Edited by Kl@usW.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kl@usW. said:

So maybe that was the reason for the fogg... 😁 .   Or at least one of the reasons.

But sadly not the only one. The first frame of a roll of XP2 was similarly marked today - the Lab-Box is letting in light through the rotating shutter that is supposed to close off the chamber where the separated film is held before it is clipped on to the strap to draw it onto the reel. I'm going back to my trusty Rondinax tanks!

• Thanks 1

ADOX CMS 20 II PRO B&W film, ISO 12 (box speed) F100, 105mm macro lens, f/4.5, 1/125s, NCPS lab.

Torrey Pine tree succumbs to beetles.

Edited by SHenry
  • Like 13

ADOX CMS 20 II PRO B&W film, ISO 12 (box speed) F100, 105mm macro lens, f/3.5, 1/160s, NCPS lab.

• Like 10