I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

29 minutes ago, Ernest said:

This "Pole" certainly plays on the mind with the resonance of "the presence of absence." We have the polarity of what we see and the allusion to what we don't see. Sidestepping the semantic slope that slips from "seeing'" to then "understanding," there is that strata here layering the textual versus the visual, words/letters and that teeter-totter with images.  MO/TEL, courtesy of the backslash pole, calling up MOTOR HOTEL. A roadside hotel for motoring guests. We aren't going to stop at the Bates Motel, but there is still something very black-and-white Hitchcockian about the tonality of Phil's MO/TEL that leads us up the pole, out of frame, intriguing. What does the pole posit? An announcement, a command, an advertisement, or plainly just another visual image (at the mercy of gravity pulling it askew)? Is it one in a series of anemic power line poles? It's the confounding absence that intrigues with its absence confounding. MO/TEL segues to a symphony (Bernard Herrmann) of MOTORS, car engines humming, prompted by the word motor and all that it conjures as noun, adjective, or verb. And we cannot avoid the play of space in square format, so casually disarmed from the symmetrical composition by an emphatically slicing pole just a whisker off-center. 

Thank you so much Rog for your kind and generous thoughts on this picture which I have decided to rename "mo\tel". I am glad you picked up on the Hitchcock-ness of it as it was something that occurred to me at the time. One of those instances where I initially walked straight past, then retraced my steps and unpacked the camera once the mind had caught up with what I'd seen. As for the pole, it is just a pole - it holds up nothing and seems to have no purpose whatsoever. Just my kind of pole!

18 minutes ago, Ernest said:

Sliding
Tele-Rolleiflex Portra 800

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

And here we have you at your creative and allegorical best. The left side - even though our rational mind identifies it as composed of something "hard", we can contextually perceive as flfloating, soft - ephemeral even with its Rothko-esque ochre set against that assertive cadmium yellow woodwork, set - grounded - against cold, hard concrete to the right. In the centre the work is split, Barnett Newman-like, by what appears to be a length of metal in crimson. Things from the real world made art - communicating - with the interplay of an attentive vision, imagination and a thorough understanding of materials. The juxtapositional effect is graphically mesmerizing and generously repays closer attention.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Xícara de Café said:

Detail from Oscar Niemeyer's Digital TV Tower in Brasilia. Leica IIIf, Summicron 5cm 1:2 collapsible, Ilford Pan 100, PMK 1:2:100 8'30" 24°C.

I can't pass this by, cup of joe, without marvelling at the wonderful selectivity you have exercised here. A complete, perfect and exemplary black and white photograph that serves as a reverential hommage to Niemeyer's singular architectural vision.

Edited by stray cat
  • Like 8

8 hours ago, stray cat said:

I can't pass this by, cup of joe, without marvelling at the wonderful selectivity you have exercised here. A complete, perfect and exemplary black and white photograph that serves as a reverential hommage to Niemeyer's singular architectural vision.

Thanks for the kind comment Phil. I was lucky to get this photo. I saw that there was no one at the base of the tower so I snuck in there and took a few photos before a guard threw me out. 🙂

• Haha 2

Kodak Gold 200, Summicron-M 35mm V1(8-Elements), M6

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Winter in Freylemaborg

MP, 35, Foma400, D76

• Like 19

Sticks and balls ...

Canon T90, FD 4/28-85, Lomography 400

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Was finding it difficult to focus while digitising using a tablet as a back-light with the Pixl-Latr film holder. Bought a small LED panel ceiling light and it works very well. You can see the difference in brightness in the above photo.  It cost the equivalent of US$5.30.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Leica M2-R, Zeiss Biogon 35mm f/2.8 ZM, Konica VX400 Monochrom long expired

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, leicamour said:

Thanks! I suggest this one:

I am putting on some Ray Bans because the Green Light is getting awfully bright. Perhaps zigzagging will be the new normal. I dialed this one in, too. "New Goblin - Profondo Rosso." Thanks for the intro. Buying a ticket to your next "Street Poliptych Film."

1 hour ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Possibly my best shot ever. Accidental double exposure from Hodge Close Quarry, Lake District, UK.
Gandolfi 4x5, Nikkor SW 90 f8, Portra 400 (the colour was rubbish, so I converted to mono).
😁

Eat your heart out, Jerry Uelsmann. Accidental on purpose, don't tell. Would it be queer to query the quarry in the quarry? This is getting very Tarkovsky, so you need to put everyone on a "need-to-know" status, since it would be safe to assume that no one needs to know. It's all too frightening in the Pandemic Pit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2