I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, bags27 said:

How lovely!

I do my own developing/scanning. I got an excellent deal on a used Fuji MF, so it more or less matches up, sensor-size, with my MF negatives. I really like my workflow. Still, I'd like to send out a photo or two for drum scanning, just to evaluate the difference. I see some drum scanned MF color images on Instagram that have such depth you could fall right into them.

Yes, sending out for a drum scan to make a comparison was how I started, and some places might possibly provide a complimentary scan to exemplify their work.

I find B&W (via any scans) to be most reliable ....even a complete novice like me with the Plustek gets me to a look that I personally like in terms of tonality. Whereas even with drum scans I’ve found more variability with getting a color scan that bounces out of the file naturally, given the nuances of accuracy for colour and white-balance ...this is more the case I find with C41 negative (given it’s inverted so less for the scan operator to go on), so it can take quite a lot of fiddling around in post ..... whereas E6 has been easier it seems (because the scan operator has a positive to work from).

Anyhow - back to peoples’ lovely images! ......

Edited by Jon Warwick
  • Thanks 1

vor 7 Stunden schrieb John Robinson:

I am curious about the strong fading towards the LH side of the image as I have seen this on my M3.  Is it vignetting in the lens, something to do with the lens shade, something about scanning of the negative or a shutter fault?  On my M3, if I shoot at 1/500 or 1/1000 I get fading of the image that looks like this.  Rather than sending the camera off for overhaul by Leica, I have opted for some ND filters so that I can shoot at 1/250 or slower, at which speeds the camera is totally reliable.

I had this on an M 2 (  vitrine copy near mint ) bought a few years ago. In my case the shutter mechanism needed adjustment, a brake (?) didn't work properly. Unfortunately the housing of the M cameras is built " around the shutter" , so disassembling, adjusting and reassembling will take some hours-as the technician in Wetzlar explained to me.... Not cheap, but worth the price... 

btw: I would expect a kind of circular fading if this was due to lens vignetting and/or shade vignetting. Scanning problems ( I had this too ) produce a kind of optical chattermarks, a pattern. 

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, John Robinson said:

I am curious about the strong fading towards the LH side of the image as I have seen this on my M3.  Is it vignetting in the lens, something to do with the lens shade, something about scanning of the negative or a shutter fault?  On my M3, if I shoot at 1/500 or 1/1000 I get fading of the image that looks like this.  Rather than sending the camera off for overhaul by Leica, I have opted for some ND filters so that I can shoot at 1/250 or slower, at which speeds the camera is totally reliable.

As Klaus says, this is a shutter fault.

Probably - since it is occurring on the left side of the scene (right side of the negative), and the creator mentions it was shot at 1/1000th, the shutter curtains (or the gears that drive them) are sticking together briefly at the beginning of the exposure, and then separating to the correct "slit width" as they move across the film. (= "fade-in")

(it can happen on the opposite side, as the shutter is closing, if the first curtain decelerates too slowly, and the second curtain catches up with it, reducing the slit to zero width = "fade-out").

It is a relatively common occurrence with clockwork focal-plane shutters "of a certain age" - by "relatively common" I mean "possible, especially once a decade or more has passed since the last CLA." Usually does not require parts replacement, just cleaning off the old shutter grease (and any dust it has acquired), checking the gearing and springs, and re-lubricating.

My first Leica ever (IIIc, very used, in college) produced 1/8th pictures at 1/1000th, 1/4er pictures at 1/500th, half-frames at 1/250th, and very little visible fade-out at 1/125th or longer times.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Watcher • MP, 35mm Summicron • Ektar 100

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 13
  • Haha 3

Elmar at 6x9

Nagel Vollenda 6x9 folder, Leitz Elmar 105/4.5

Edited by Wayne
  • Like 16

M3, Zeiss Sonnar 50mm f/1.5, Portra 800

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

M3, Zeiss Sonnar 50mm f/1.5, Portra 800

• Like 16

Some Cine250D processed in C-41.

• Like 11
  • Haha 3

thank you Klaus! I must have gotten a bad batch of film, and maybe the processing isnt so great, we only have one lab here in Recife, i think in future I will send to Sao Paulo. Ive done some nice nudes with my trusty M8. Ill go ahead with the SilberSalz 200t and see what happens. But will back up with the M8. It should be tricky because I think the lighting of film and digital is different, especially in shadow detail. I am trying for  scenes, quasi cinematic, lots of atmospheric ambiguity...this may be more forgiving. As Jacques Cousteau said "Il faut allez voir!"

Very best, Patrick

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

cinistill 800 xpan 

Edited by hillavoider
  • Like 11

At the beach, May 10 2021 - M3, Summicron 50, Fuji 4791 iso 12

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Leica M5 + 50mm Summilux ASPH + CineStill 800T

• Like 14

• Like 13

• Like 4

Germanys famous Castle Neuschwanstein at sunset

Leica M7 * Leica Summicron M 2.0/50 (V) * Kodak Gold 200 * Lab and Scan by Drugstore

Edited by S/W
  • Like 19