I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Dear film friends, I am really dissappointed with this Portra 400...on a cloudy tropical day it registered everything green and required more processing and falsifying in ON1 than most of my M8 files. Every frame had a scar and noise from detached emulsion, dirt ? I thought it would be my go to film, but now... Kodak Gold is better! 

Advice? I plan to do an indoor nude shoot with lighting, candles. What film would you recommend? Does anyone have experience with Silbersalz 200T? I lost confidence in film, so will do parallel shooting with my digital m8. Any ideas on lighting? How do you know when a bulb is tungston  or hgher White balance? I have a studio lamp, would this count as tungston?

Thank you for the help!!  Patrick

Leica SL, R 38-70

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 11

Patrick, 

-detached emulsion and the hefty color shift smell of a wrong development and/or a faulty film. P 400 is my main film staple in color--never seen any emulsion problems in years. 

-doing nude requires an established workflow on the studio side,  experience with the combination of film and lighting.  I've done studio nude with Fuji Provia and studio flash. No color shift at all and perfect skin tones.  So do some testing before the lady undresses....  I think that the IR sensitivity of the Leica sensors--particularly of the M8 sensor will prove tricky-you´ll need a model with a perfect skin-otherwise any blemishes, red spots and so on will show much more than on film. So color film imho is better for any skin than digital unless you have a trotten path with the latter.. 

btw: b/w might be an alternative. 

let us see your results ! 

K. 

Edited by Kl@usW.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Kl@usW.:

example for rendering of skin tones on film. See above. 

HB 205; Planar 80, Provia, Studio flash

Perfect Klaus! I agree with your advice to Patrick: start with b/w. There are so many things you have to taken into account that you should start with a b/w film like Ilford Delta 400 or Tmax 400.

Edited by benqui
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

portra 800 

• Like 17

Leica R9 AGFA RSX II 100 Pro

• Like 13

Leica R9 AGFA RSX II 100 Pro

Edited by mumu
  • Like 12

23 hours ago, dimm said:

M3, Zeiss Sonnar 50mm f/1.5, Portra 800

I am curious about the strong fading towards the LH side of the image as I have seen this on my M3.  Is it vignetting in the lens, something to do with the lens shade, something about scanning of the negative or a shutter fault?  On my M3, if I shoot at 1/500 or 1/1000 I get fading of the image that looks like this.  Rather than sending the camera off for overhaul by Leica, I have opted for some ND filters so that I can shoot at 1/250 or slower, at which speeds the camera is totally reliable.

The Num,bers Add Up.

Nikon FM2n / Nikkor 50f1.2 / Delta 400 / Xtol

• Like 12
  • Haha 3

On 5/8/2021 at 10:50 PM, bags27 said:

Those are both wonderful, Jon.

I had read elsewhere that drumscanning doesn't really improve B&W negatives. I guess what I read is wrong!

Thanks for your kind words.

Funnily enough, after only ever getting scans done for me (in the form of a barbell between mini-lab scans and drum scans) .... I have today just started to try my hand at doing my own scanning for the very first time (after borrowing a Plustek 7300)!!  I don't know versus drum scans, but I certainly prefer the output vs anything mini-lab that I'd had done previously.....

Here is an initial effort .... Leica M7 + M 90 Elmarit + Acros.

• Like 17

24 minutes ago, Jon Warwick said:

Thanks for your kind words.

Funnily enough, after only ever getting scans done for me (in the form of a barbell between mini-lab scans and drum scans) .... I have today just started to try my hand at doing my own scanning for the very first time (after borrowing a Plustek 7300)!!  I don't know versus drum scans, but I certainly prefer the output vs anything mini-lab that I'd had done previously.....

Here is an initial effort .... Leica M7 + M 90 Elmarit + Acros.

How lovely!

I do my own developing/scanning. I got an excellent deal on a used Fuji MF, so it more or less matches up, sensor-size, with my MF negatives. I really like my workflow. Still, I'd like to send out a photo or two for drum scanning, just to evaluate the difference. I see some drum scanned MF color images on Instagram that have such depth you could fall right into them.

• Like 1

Leica R4 - Macro-Elmarit-R 2,8/60 - slidefilm converted in b/w

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, John Robinson said:

I am curious about the strong fading towards the LH side of the image as I have seen this on my M3.  Is it vignetting in the lens, something to do with the lens shade, something about scanning of the negative or a shutter fault?  On my M3, if I shoot at 1/500 or 1/1000 I get fading of the image that looks like this.  Rather than sending the camera off for overhaul by Leica, I have opted for some ND filters so that I can shoot at 1/250 or slower, at which speeds the camera is totally reliable.

Honestly I am puzzled as well. Maybe you're right about shutter speed. I had Portra 800 loaded and so I had to use 1/1000. Usually I don't shoot on such speed. I shot large number of photos with my M3 and Sonnar, but never had such vignetting. 

Edited by dimm

M3, Zeiss Sonnar 50mm f/1.5, Portra 800

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1