Jump to content

I like film...(open thread)


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 76.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Doc Henry

    13191

  • A miller

    6032

  • philipus

    2887

  • EoinC

    2612

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This photo is from a series from some of my crazy, extreme photo adventures I  had photographing Mountains "Alpinists " and rock climbers. This is Alpes mountain range which is called   "Le Massive du Mont Blanc", Haût Savoir region  In France.  And this place is a White valley ( La Vallee Blanche - Chamonix ) the most beautiful region You must visit. I was very brave enough to carry my Medium format two lenses/ meters/ and a Canon EOS and a 50mm, a lot of films No tripod/ It is crazy when I thi

Bonjour Henri,   I still prefer black and white film (I use almost no colour). The advantages of digital don’t mean much to me. Seeing instant results is not so useful, since what comes out of a camera is always far from a final result, and the final result requires time and thought.   Film also continues to improve. The quality of available film and developers is as good as it has ever been, and it is still as competent as digital sensors of equivalent size.   I also much prefer silver g

On a week-long stay at the Faroe Islands, I took the ferry from Torshavn (the 'capital') to the southernmost island, Suduroy, and looked up potential shooting locations on the island. This image was taken a little before the sun was setting in the ocean, with wind from the west (left). With the uplift of the humid air at the cliffs, fog and clouds drifted over the island. A quite typical situation for the islands; the ocean can be more or less cloud free, but the islands are generally covered in

Posted Images

53 minutes ago, jonnyboy said:

London Bridge Station

Contax G2/90mm Sonnar - Ilford HP5 (pushed 1600)

Great photo. So much cool stuff happening and great tones and lines. 

Edited by bags27
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, bags27 said:

Great photo. So much cool stuff happening and great tones and lines. 

Thanks! London Bridge station always offers a good balance of interesting backdrop with all sort of things going on around!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice one, Jean-Marc! Love the silhouette in the smoke. 

Another frame of my flower series:

Leica R7 - Summicron-R 50 - Elpro 2 - Kodak Portra 160 - Cinestill C41 developer

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Kl@usW. said:

Phil, very interesting and great photos in every perspective. Sent me down the memory lane..Irving Penn was one of my first photographic heroes and i was lucky enough to see the " Centennial Exposition" in Berlin 2018   https://www.co-berlin.org/en/irving-penn    ..amazing and very impressive indeed. Including his famous "corner"  and the  original backdrop from the studio work.   And: The Cigarettes !!    The juxtaposition of his highly esthetic portrait and fashion work with the cigarette butts  was an anouncement I only understood later  - if at all. The question why should we--Penn, you, me .. take photos of the discharge of our life and life in general at all ?  I don't have an answer that claims to be universal, but for me its the question of balance. The living, the beautiful and the pure  needs to be balanced, not all the times, but sometimes--by the leftovers, the discharge and the smelly. Trying to get into Penn´s mind--I simply believe he needed the raw beauty of the cigarette butts  to stay sane.  Strange enough, but thinking of Penn´s cigarettes I smell them as much as I envision them. So: any roadkill  photos in your files ?? 

No roadkill, Klaus, I'm afraid. Not a subject I've ever been drawn to - neither is cigarettes, although below is the closest I allowed myself to come to that area of Penn's ouevre. That show in Berlin looks as though it would have been absolutely wonderful, and I'm glad that you got to see it and ponder some of the questions raised by Penn's disparate subject matter. Where is the photo of you in the corner?

The wider question as to why we take photographs at all, and in fact why we take the photographs we do, is something I guess we all wonder about at times. Essentially, as you suggest, we are recording moments of our lives. The yin and yang of the beautiful and the refuse - keeping in mind that the taoist interpretation is that there is a fundamental connection. Why we do that is a question for each of us and I'm not sure I'd have an answer even for my own motivations. It is something I should think about more - thank you for raising it.

detritus 1989

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is one of my all time favorite: a frozen pond in Black Forest, residual of a glacier. From a series strongly influenced by Rinko Kawauchi (Rolleicord with Kodak Portra 400):

 

Edited by docmarten
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, stray cat said:

No roadkill, Klaus, I'm afraid. Not a subject I've ever been drawn to - neither is cigarettes, although below is the closest I allowed myself to come to that area of Penn's ouevre. That show in Berlin looks as though it would have been absolutely wonderful, and I'm glad that you got to see it and ponder some of the questions raised by Penn's disparate subject matter. Where is the photo of you in the corner?

The wider question as to why we take photographs at all, and in fact why we take the photographs we do, is something I guess we all wonder about at times. Essentially, as you suggest, we are recording moments of our lives. The yin and yang of the beautiful and the refuse - keeping in mind that the taoist interpretation is that there is a fundamental connection. Why we do that is a question for each of us and I'm not sure I'd have an answer even for my own motivations. It is something I should think about more - thank you for raising it.

detritus 1989

Should we refuse to accept refuse? Verbs and nouns, to suffuse the landscape with refuse, only to refuse the dystopic disintegration and the seeds of reconstruction. The fragmentation of Ma*--*&o)r0 Man AMAGE5[UR*LUNG and the proclamation in open territory of a perfect past and a not-so-perfect present pulverizes the future. Put that to the camera. Invention without verbs and nouns, perhaps adjectives, not too many, then only verbs. What is the 5 to the S? Ask David Carson, upside down. Why is every photograph a self-portrait, or not? The wall numbs the mind. How to, how to, how to make it work when the work will not make it? How to edit the world reeling at 1/125 and keep it out of focus? Blur is the swoosh of reason, or season. Buy a consonant. The stream of consciousness is stillwater. Shudder to shutter. "Marlboro" gestures like an arrow, left to right, lying grave still, disintegrating in slow motion that is now no motion, except mental motion that numbs the mind. THIS IS THE GIANT BILLBOARD that Ed Ruscha would make nap time, except that Phil's on first. This must be mandated, consigned to mega-square footage of billboard real estate on a Southern California freeway. Nothing is real, except the billboards, here, and that's unreal. I mean, how can we deny this mental real estate that is here but not here. I want my black T-shirt with mustard yellow lettering: PRESENCE of ABSENCE! Too much shouting. That's not photography; photography is sly.

You say, "The wider question as to why we take photographs at all, and in fact why we take the photographs we do, is something I guess we all wonder about at times." Yes, it's mind numbing, just thinking about it. Honestly, Phil, how can we get the work done with this weight? I look at your image, and it's not so much claiming brain freeze, but my shutter finger is terrorized. I need to just go out and buy a new old camera and listen to what it has to say, no verbs or nouns, all verbs and nouns, just a chaos of calamity that speaks visual riddles, repeating the repetition that has already been repeated.

Whew! A shout out to you, Phil, for your website. Thanks for the thaw to my brain freeze.

Edited by Ernest
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ernest said:

Should we refuse to accept refuse? Verbs and nouns, to suffuse the landscape with refuse, only to refuse the dystopic disintegration and the seeds of reconstruction. The fragmentation of Ma*--*&o)r0 Man AMAGE5[UR*LUNG and the proclamation in open territory of a perfect past and a not-so-perfect present pulverizes the future. Put that to the camera. Invention without verbs and nouns, perhaps adjectives, not too many, then only verbs. What is the 5 to the S? Ask David Carson, upside down. Why is every photograph a self-portrait, or not? The wall numbs the mind. How to, how to, how to make it work when the work will not make it? How to edit the world reeling at 1/125 and keep it out of focus? Blur is the swoosh of reason, or season. Buy a consonant. The stream of consciousness is stillwater. Shudder to shutter. "Marlboro" gestures like an arrow, left to right, lying grave still, disintegrating in slow motion that is now no motion, except mental motion that numbs the mind. THIS IS THE GIANT BILLBOARD that Ed Ruscha would make nap time, except that Phil's on first. This must be mandated, consigned to mega-square footage of billboard real estate on a Southern California freeway. Nothing is real, except the billboards, here, and that's unreal. I mean, how can we deny this mental real estate that is here but not here. I want my black T-shirt with mustard yellow lettering: PRESENCE of ABSENCE! Too much shouting. That's not photography; photography is sly.

You say, "The wider question as to why we take photographs at all, and in fact why we take the photographs we do, is something I guess we all wonder about at times." Yes, it's mind numbing, just thinking about it. Honestly, Phil, how can we get the work done with this weight? I look at your image, and it's not so much claiming brain freeze, but my shutter finger is terrorized. I need to just go out and buy a new old camera and listen to what it has to say, no verbs or nouns, all verbs and nouns, just a chaos of calamity that speaks visual riddles, repeating the repetition that has already been repeated.

Whew! A shout out to you, Phil, for your website. Thanks for the thaw to my brain freeze.

👏👏👏

Thank you, Ernest. This is brilliant. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Have a nice day!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Remembering what it was like to be able to travel (life before Covid).

Leica M2, Voigtlander 35mm f/1.4 NOKTON Classic SC, Fuji Superia 400.

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Suede said:

👏👏👏

Thank you, Ernest. This is brilliant. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Have a nice day!

I completely agree with Pritam. You are a conjuror of colloquy, Rog, a wizard of words, a sorceror of syntax, an icon of idioms. Your beat poet stream of consciousness flow of ideas and associations is a joy to behold and a treasure that this thread hangs by, as it hangs by a thread. But are we here talking trash about rubbish? How to, how to, how to make it work when the work will not make it? How to edit the world reeling at 1/125 and keep it out of focus? Well, exactly.

I need to just go out and buy a new old camera and listen to what it has to say, no verbs or nouns, all verbs and nouns, just a chaos of calamity that speaks visual riddles, repeating the repetition that has already been repeated. Check, check and check on that one. To those of us who swore off acquisition of new toys, let us hang our heads, head into the new dawn before it fades, 1/125 sec at a time, develop, fix, rinse and hang. Hang hung hunger for new experiences, new visions, new stimuli. 

OMG. Where's the Tylenol?

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, JMF said:

El Tatio by JM__, on Flickr

Acros 100 & Ricoh GR21

Amazing photo, the drama of geothermal forces and the surprise of a silhouette in a balanced and entertaining composition.

9 minutes ago, John Robinson said:

Remembering what it was like to be able to travel (life before Covid).

Leica M2, Voigtlander 35mm f/1.4 NOKTON Classic SC, Fuji Superia 400.

So enjoyed these photos with much interest to entertain the senses and a reminder to this frustrated traveler of his own array of visited stations. Thank you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
vor 17 Stunden schrieb stray cat:

Where is the photo of you in the corner?

 

Actually I stood in the corner and tried to get the vibrations.. but too many giggling folks with their mobile phones... 

vor 11 Stunden schrieb Ernest:

 I need to just go out and buy a new old camera and listen to what it has to say

 

I did as you told me. Bought a new old camera.. and listened: here's what I heard: 

😀

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...