I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ship's Graveyard #1.  Purton, Gloucestershire.
Hasselblad 503cw
Zeiss 80mm planar cfi
Yellow filter

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 18

a ribbon of water, Alberta

Rolleiflex 3.5 TLR

Note: on my computer screen I'm looking at this post with the same image file open in Apple Preview on the same screen side by side. This post looks distinctly fuzzy in a direct comparison. There are many details I can see on the left hand side of my screen that I can't see on the right hand side (this post). I've simply no idea why, exactly the same file. In the 'Get Info' pane I see that the file size is 1.3MB and the image resolution is 2300 x 2297, the format generic jpg.

<image deleted due to this forum not being able to display what I can see on the same screen>

Edited by Mr.Prime
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

The Summaron 2/8 35 is my favorite lens when I'm biking-small enough for the pack. Had a Summaron 5,6/ 28 for a while--but there was always a finger in front of the lens.... 😅

MP; Summaron 2,8/35; Portra 400@200

Intoxicating time of the day when the colors play a last chorus, and you're right there with a little applause, well-orchestrated. Bravo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

updated my computer operating system, see if this helps my uploading dilemma.

OK - when I view the post I see the full size image and it still looks bad. But if I click on the image and a new window pops up then it looks much better, almost as good as the file on my computer. But other people seem to have images that look sharp without having to click on them to see them in their full glory. I know I'm being dumb here, just can't figure out why the image looks poor if I just view the post as-is (there is structure in the sky of the original but I lost it from this copy due to some poor editing).

So... if you want to see the image with better quality, just click on it. Then you understand why 6 x 6 just kills 35mm. Oh boy, I'm in big trouble, I gotta get back and improve my 35mm work, learn how to scan it better.

Edited by Mr.Prime
  • Like 16

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 10 Stunden schrieb Ernest:

Placebo
M-A APO 50 ADOX Color Implosion

The elevator came to my mind too--it´s the 3D effect of the shadows and the artful play with the gradients.  But what I didn't recognize until later was the number; the icon jumped at me as a symbol of a resistor or some electronic part... So much to see. 

vor 6 Stunden schrieb Ernest:

Intoxicating time of the day when the colors play a last chorus, and you're right there with a little applause, well-orchestrated. Bravo.

Thank you Rog. Hard to resist the last, glowing colors... I must have stopped there a hundred times. 

vor 6 Stunden schrieb Mr.Prime:

updated my computer operating system, see if this helps my uploading dilemma.

OK - when I view the post I see the full size image and it still looks bad. But if I click on the image and a new window pops up then it looks much better, almost as good as the file on my computer. But other people seem to have images that look sharp without having to click on them to see them in their full glory. I know I'm being dumb here, just can't figure out why the image looks poor if I just view the post as-is (there is structure in the sky of the original but I lost it from this copy due to some poor editing).

So... if you want to see the image with better quality, just click on it. Then you understand why 6 x 6 just kills 35mm. Oh boy, I'm in big trouble, I gotta get back and improve my 35mm work, learn how to scan it better.

Mr. P; it´s not your system, but the LUF.  I have  the same problem and was wondering why my pictures always looked so diffuse.. I have come to the conclusion, that what you see when you scroll the LFU are just --quite big though--thumbnails. Not being a computer nerd my guess is that's to get a smooth scrolling and to lower the traffic of bytes... Only when you click on the picture, you get the full uploaded  resolution. Thinking about it, that makes sense -- it least for all of us who don't stop at every picture and those who use a portable device with limited download speed and volume . 

Btw: great picture--was that with the Rollei ? 

vor einer Stunde schrieb Xícara de Café:

Digital TV Tower in Brasilia by Oscar Niemeyer. Leica IIIf, Summicron 5cm 1:2 collapsible, Kodak Tmax 100, Rodinal 1:50 12' 20ºC.

beautiful juxtaposition and convergence of the natural and artificial forms-- showing and amplifying Niemeyers  botany-morphic ( is that a word ??  ) design roots ..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Kl@usW. said:

beautiful juxtaposition and convergence of the natural and artificial forms-- showing and amplifying Niemeyers  botany-morphic ( is that a word ??  ) design roots ..

Thanks Kl@us, if not a word then it should be. I think he also took inspiration for his lines from the mountains of Rio de Janeiro and/or the curves of a woman's body. I remember reading this somewhere.

• Like 1

Glad confident morning, Sunday leisure at Burrator, Dartmoor.

Leica R8, Summicron R 35mm, Ilford HP5+ in PMK Pyro

• Like 19

Another dusty old neg from the seventies. M4, Tri-X. 

• Like 18
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, stray cat said:

For anyone interested, I've just posted a review (of sorts) of the Kamera Kraft grip I bought for my film Leicas:

Nice review, Phil. 

I need to have a grip to assist holding the camera better. After suffering a motorcar accident in 2000, I've never recovered full gripping strength in my right hand. So, nuggety cameras like the Leica Ms with their timeless ergonomics are just that bit 'slippery' for my hands, especially for long days of photography. The regular 14405 hand grip does fine for me, giving me just that extra real estate of contact and the ability to crook my fingers relieves me of the effort of having to grip the camera between thumb and fingers and provide a sense of security that the camera is not going to slip out of my hands. 

The hand grip for the Ms is a great asset for me.

I wish I could find one for my Nikons too, without having to get the cumbersome ones Nikon made (with power winder). I'm very fond of both the FE2 and FM3a which I've had for years now... and all the lenses that go with them. The lack of a convenient hand grip makes me consider selling them off someday; I'd be loath to do that. If anyone knows of a simple hand grip for the Nikon F series, I'd be grateful and interested. They needn't be walnut, ebony, carbon, titanium etc., just a decent secure hand grip of a sober colour. I have pursued a few leads for after-market Nikon F series compatible hand grips in the past but run into dead ends and disappointment.

Thanks, 

• Like 3

Brambles    ( Rubus fruticosus ) 

Glad you asked: no, haven't bought an M 10 M yet, just got out my old gear ......and, most important, got myself out of bed early enough for the hoarfrost....

Hasselblad 503; Makro Planar, Acros II, D76

Edited by Kl@usW.
  • Like 18

vor 5 Stunden schrieb Suede:

Nice review, Phil. 

I need to have a grip to assist holding the camera better. After suffering a motorcar accident in 2000, I've never recovered full gripping strength in my right hand. So, nuggety cameras like the Leica Ms with their timeless ergonomics are just that bit 'slippery' for my hands, especially for long days of photography. The regular 14405 hand grip does fine for me, giving me just that extra real estate of contact and the ability to crook my fingers relieves me of the effort of having to grip the camera between thumb and fingers and provide a sense of security that the camera is not going to slip out of my hands. 

I wish I could find one for my Nikons too, without having to get the cumbersome ones Nikon made (with power winder). I'm very fond of both the FE2 and FM3a which I've had for years now... and all the lenses that go with them. The lack of a convenient hand grip makes me consider selling them off someday; I'd be loath to do that. If anyone knows of a simple hand grip for the Nikon F series, I'd be grateful and interested. They needn't be walnut, ebony, carbon, titanium etc., just a decent secure hand grip of a sober colour. I have pursued a few leads for after-market Nikon F series compatible hand grips in the past but run into dead ends and disappointment.

Thanks, 

Sorry to hear about these problems, Pritam. There is an Arca Swiss body plate with attachable rail to the side, which can be moved away from the body and may serve as a grip.. ok, ill make a photo--not tomorrow, but on the weekend. 

Edited by Kl@usW.
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Suede said:

Nice review, Phil. 

Thanks, 

Thank you Pritam. I was unaware of the loss of some function in your hand and I am sorry to hear it. The grip idea makes a lot of sense in that case.

I hear you on the lack of a grip for some cameras, and Nikon's solutions can indeed be a bit unwieldy. At the risk of sounding like Kamera Kraft's main evangelist (I have no ties other than as a happy customer) Vincent does ask on the site that if anyone has any suggestions for a grip for any other camera, he'll consider designing/manufacturing them. It sounds like the FM/FE Nikons may well be something he might consider, especially given the enormous numbers in which they sold.

• Like 3

Rollei Superpan 200 with a flash 

• Like 16

Quarantine
M-A APO 50 ADOX Color Implosion

• Like 14

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 11:16 AM, Kl@usW. said:

Thank you for the details, Rog.  And congrats on your clear eyes--over the years my impression is that they come with a clear mind.  Yes, the CIA interrogation glasses: I do sport a kind of them when in surgery... just to give the self healing powers of my counterpart  a nudge 😇. If that is not enough, I shine a bright light at them... 😅

This beams me to a warm, sunny place on the shore.... And if I look into the sky, squinting please, yes there they are again, the floaters... 

Oh, no, not the bright light! Where were you on the night in question at 7:15 p.m.? Glad you tripped to a warm, sunny place on the shore. Tide in, tide out. I was flashing on Thomas Moran's "The Much Resounding Sea" that I saw in Washington D.C., years back. Not that my study has anything to do with Moran, other than the sea, but I was playing with the cyclical thing, trying for layers in context with that hint of blue.

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 2:20 PM, Steve Ricoh said:

I see an elevator (lift in the U.K.).

And, elevators can be so threatening. You never know what's in store until those stainless steel doors slide open to another chapter.

18 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

The elevator came to my mind too--it´s the 3D effect of the shadows and the artful play with the gradients.  But what I didn't recognize until later was the number; the icon jumped at me as a symbol of a resistor or some electronic part... So much to see. ..

I had the same aha! moment looking at that ominous zero I found in an alley as it finally demanded some respect. "I am more than Zero. I am totally something of nothing." It was like the flip side of the signifier becoming the signified, the transit here from alpha numeric symbol to, what?, a transistor, somewhat blurry, sparking for some more voltage. Never mind. Just a placebo. We're on placebos, and the outcome is questionable. Will the verdict be nothing, or will nothing be something? At play in the fields of color? I watched the film of Gerhard Richter's assistant preparing, mixing colors for Richter's squeegee paintings. Oh, my!

Edited by Ernest
  • Like 2

On 12/1/2020 at 6:43 PM, Mr.Prime said:

... if you want to see the image with better quality, just click on it. Then you understand why 6 x 6 just kills 35mm. Oh boy, I'm in big trouble, I gotta get back and improve my 35mm work, learn how to scan it better.

No matter how good your 35mm work is, 6x6 will always kill 135.