Doc Henry

I like film...(open thread)

2 hours ago, johnwolf said:

My mother-in-law left me her Rolleiflex 3.5F Planar when she passed away. She bought it new in 1961, so it's 60 years old this year. I used it a few times over the years, the last time in 1978. It's been in storage since then. I just had it serviced and here's a shot from the first roll.

This picture is of the Naperville, IL community pool. It's a fitting photograph because, as a child in the 1930s, my mother-in-law used to swim here, riding her horse from the neighboring town of Hinsdale. At that time our community pool was a rock quarry.

great shot and a great hommage! A bit different from your Holga, huh? (though I greatly admire your Holga photos: wish I could do as well with mine)

Edited by bags27

1 hour ago, bags27 said:

great shot and a great hommage! A bit different from your Holga, huh? (though I greatly admire your Holga photos: wish I could do as well with mine)

Yeah, so different from the Holga. Not sure about this high quality look and if I will keep the camera. But I'll give it a while.

Another from my first walkabout:

Edited by johnwolf

vor 13 Stunden schrieb Xícara de Café:

Sometimes a yellow filter is as good as a bath. Leica IIIf, Summicron 5cm 1:2, Ilford SFX 200, yellow filter, PMK 1:2:100 11" 24ºC.

Leica IIIf, Summicron 5cm 1:2, Ilford SFX 200, yellow filter, PMK 1:2:100 11" 24ºC.

Ah, glad to see the good dog is well; I'm sure it endorsed your use of the yellow filter very much... 😀

vor 4 Stunden schrieb johnwolf:

My mother-in-law left me her Rolleiflex 3.5F Planar when she passed away. She bought it new in 1961, so it's 60 years old this year. I used it a few times over the years, the last time in 1978. It's been in storage since then. I just had it serviced and here's a shot from the first roll.

This picture is of the Naperville, IL community pool. It's a fitting photograph because, as a child in the 1930s, my mother-in-law used to swim here, riding her horse from the neighboring town of Hinsdale. At that time our community pool was a rock quarry.

John, interesting story to the picture. The Rollei seems to work nicely after all the years..

5 hours ago, bags27 said:

Mamiya 7 80 mm HP5+ HC110-B

Beautiful, Ken, you have that Mamiya 7 singing!

...and speaking of singing, the picture itself brings to mind Jethro Tull's wonderful "Hymn 43":

If Jesus saves, well He'd better save Himself
From the gory glory seekers who will use His name in death
Oh Jesus save me

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 2:58 PM, Kl@usW. said:

Newton, the Übervater of all the phycists.  May I suggest another name that comes to my mind looking at your spectrum, Rog: Vesto Melvin Slipher... he did the groundbreaking research upon which Hubble, who knew better how to play the media,  set his law about  the redshift---  leading to the understanding of the ever expanding universe.. I'm just trying to make sense of your spectrum. Is there a shift, if yes, red or blue--expansion or contraction--or is ist moving sidewards.. and are the reddish clouds in the bottom gray square moving or is that just another imagination ? .... Ah, you sent me on another journey, Rog... 

Gulp, how utterly galactic, Slipher completely off my radar, redshifted and all! I am always learning something new on LUF, so thank you for shining your flashlight into the cosmos, I have only a couple of AA batteries in my little flashlight, so my work with Newton Outtake is hardly esoteric. Again, I'm dealing with work that looks at the construction of photography, what is seen and what is implied. As an outtake, Newton's nonetheless (so presumptuous), this piece is a flawed remnant, a discard. It's haphazard sketch of a work that is unrealized. There is only the jumbled spectrum that isn't a spectrum of white light. Perhaps dialogue with Goethe, as Christoph suggests, would be fruitful. But here it is. Colorful ribbon scraps of color on the margins of gray nothingness, though there is the ancestry of flesh here, gray moving toward Mary Shelley's animation. This can be excused, though, at last, as the scrap of an idea, a fragment that can only suggest a narrative thread to give it an imaginative life. There were seven scraps that led to this scrap. All outtakes. Residue.

On 11/19/2020 at 9:58 PM, philipus said:

Charming fellow, quite clearly. 

So sweet, I've had a couple of plays with him and, apart from the usual Bulldog flatulence, he is such a happy and serene fellow.

Edited by Charles Morgan

4 hours ago, Charles Morgan said:

So sweet, I've had a couple of plays with him and, apart from the usual Bulldog flatulence, he is such a happy and serene fellow.

Thanks for all the great photos of this magnificent animal. I have been around many of them and have always enjoyed their character.

Funny story: a friend owned one, "Newman," who was exactly like your description of this animal. Until......one day a neighbor's cow broke a fence and intruded into my friends front yard. Friend, being used to just letting the dog go out to for bowel and bladder clearing, but without a leash, was a shocked as the dog to see the cow in the yard. Friend:..."It was if Newman became possessed; I had never seen him move so fast." Newman latched onto the cow's nose and went for a wild ride that went on for several minutes. Friend:..."The cow was waving Newman around in the air violently; Newman was not letting go for any reason." Both the cow and Newman came out of it OK. Once Newman was off the cow, he went right back to being the normal, docile Newman.

Thanks again for the shots.

Best,

Wayne