I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

1 hour ago, JMF said:

JM, I always find the light difficult inside churches, too extreme, and the challenge intimidating. So I just give them a respectable pass.

Salute your courage and steady hands. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, verwackelt said:

Very beautiful, what kind of viewfinder is that? Is that revolver-wheel for multiple focal length?

Thanks, it's a Russian KMZ finder and yes, it has 28, 35, 50, 85 and 135mm focal lengths. It's very bright an the images are a nice size. Mine is slightly is slightly off kilter, the masks are on a slight angle. I've learned to compensate for it, but all the same, I just forked out a considerable sum (horrendous exchange rate) for a Leitz SBOOI.

• Like 1

The KMZ finder is a copy of the original Zeiss I believe. I also have been using another 35mm Russian finder (cheap and good) and a 50mm Voightlander Kontur. I bought the Voightlander because of it's price and some positive reviews. I found it inconvenient in the extreme and it was the reason I finally got the SBOOI! 🙂

On 9/17/2020 at 3:02 AM, Ernest said:

Scalene
M3 Summicron DR Fuji ACROS 100 II & M-A APO 50 Fuji Natura 1600
Bauhaus constructivism with asphalt and stucco. And white space.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Something about this... takes your constructions to a new level, Rog. This is superb.

• Like 1

Rog, Phil you have me on the floor with your exchange. I happen to have a copy of Strunk and White on the shelf in one of our toilets. It shares the space with Harry Frankfurt's enlightening and admirably brief "On Bullshit", F Scott's effervescent "On Booze" and Tom Hodgkinson's excellent "How to be idle".

Kill your darlings, they say, and true it holds for any artistic endeavour, including legal writing, if that can count as artistry. Personally I think it most definitely can, but sadly the amount of artistic legal writing is inversely proportional to the amount of lawyers there are on this planet. Then again, that's very likely the same in any profession. For instance, did those who wrote instruction manuals for VCRs or those who create bullshit bingo-like PowerPoint presentations of sales projections ever even begin to contemplate about thinking that what they're doing could be art and benefit from the many rules or guidelines that exist to help improve it? Likely not, and the world is a poorer place because of it. 

For anyone enjoying incisive and intelligently funny commentary on all the cr*p that's happening these days when reason seems to have gone wherever reason goes when it's not around any longer one of the very best newspapers there is is The Economist. They regularly feature columns on language. In 2004 they published a fantastic piece called Out with the long. It's behind a paywall but even the first two paragraphs show that short words are the best and that old words when short are best of all, just like Churchill said.

The problem, as always, is time, or more precisely one's inability to spend it wisely. My constitutional law professor advised us during the first term at uni not to leave papers to the last moment, but to treat them like French cheese. Write them early and leave them in a drawer for a while, then take them out and edit and improve. To be honest I don't think he had any idea of how the French make cheese, but the advice is sound and can, like Churchill's words, be applied to photography too. I've used for many years, but keep forgetting in which drawer I put my negatives.

On 9/16/2020 at 1:24 AM, Ernest said:

Thanks for the good thoughts on the fire situation here, knowing in part what you endured down under. Climatic calamity is truly humbling, and then there is fire.

Yes, I keep trying to get my passport stamped at Ocean Park, but the Diebenkorn sense of color and perspective keeps putting me on hold. I am reminded of Ray Carver who rewrote, that is to say "edited," his short stories, even after they were published. Always striving for the leaner sentence, Carver cut every word that was not absolutely necessary, so it's not unusual to find subsequent editions different from the first release. Student writers heed Strunk's advice that "vigorous writing is concise." It's truly a reminder for artists: "A sentence should contain no unnecessary words, a paragraph no unnecessary sentences, for the same reason that a drawing should have no unnecessary lines and a machine no unnecessary parts." So, for me, as an incessant reminder from Strunk, "every word should tell" applies to not only a directness but an economy of expression in art. What does the photograph say? Ha, ha. I know that you know all this because you are a wordsmith, but I simply wanted to share that aha! moment in my required undergraduate History of Music class when I learned music in many ways echoes its time in relation to art, politics, philosophy, economics, and so forth. So what am I saying? This latest foray into Ocean Park constantly reminds me the challenge of editing, cutting out the unnecessary, so that I can say something more with less, being mindful that there's the risk of less being less. Ha, ha. Now, I am no doubt guilty of violating Strunk's rule of being "concise."

Wonderful, really excellent. I've always thought that the self-timer looks like a rather rude hand gesture, but perhaps I'm the only one.

2 hours ago, Xícara de Café said:

Nikon F5, Micro-Nikkor 55mm 1:2.8 Ais, Kodak Portra 160.

Brilliant JM. I immediately recognised those chairs:

Flickr
1N EF50/1.4 Tri-X Coolscan V

3 hours ago, JMF said:

Eglise Saint Sulpice de Paris by JM__, on Flickr

Acros 100 - Plaubel W67

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7Artisan 50 mm 1.1@1.1 Kodak Portra M3

• Like 12

On 9/15/2020 at 7:24 PM, Ernest said:

Thanks for the good thoughts on the fire situation here, knowing in part what you endured down under. Climatic calamity is truly humbling, and then there is fire.

Yes, I keep trying to get my passport stamped at Ocean Park, but the Diebenkorn sense of color and perspective keeps putting me on hold. I am reminded of Ray Carver who rewrote, that is to say "edited," his short stories, even after they were published. Always striving for the leaner sentence, Carver cut every word that was not absolutely necessary, so it's not unusual to find subsequent editions different from the first release. Student writers heed Strunk's advice that "vigorous writing is concise." It's truly a reminder for artists: "A sentence should contain no unnecessary words, a paragraph no unnecessary sentences, for the same reason that a drawing should have no unnecessary lines and a machine no unnecessary parts." So, for me, as an incessant reminder from Strunk, "every word should tell" applies to not only a directness but an economy of expression in art. What does the photograph say? Ha, ha. I know that you know all this because you are a wordsmith, but I simply wanted to share that aha! moment in my required undergraduate History of Music class when I learned music in many ways echoes its time in relation to art, politics, philosophy, economics, and so forth. So what am I saying? This latest foray into Ocean Park constantly reminds me the challenge of editing, cutting out the unnecessary, so that I can say something more with less, being mindful that there's the risk of less being less. Ha, ha. Now, I am no doubt guilty of violating Strunk's rule of being "concise."

Philipus response brought this back to my attention, for a second read. It strikes a chord.....concise writing, in the same sense suffering an illness brings one to attend to any/all information on the illness.

Probably the best single piece of advice I ever received was "that" has to go. Unless it is absolutely necessary. It works.

Best,

Wayne

• Like 5

vor 16 Stunden schrieb Ernest:

Inheritance
M-A APO 50 ADOX Color Implosion

Rog, I'm still pondering about this one. Inheritance is word with a huge space of associations... what we inherit  and what we command, what we inherit and like or dislike... and is inheritance unidirectional ? In our culture it seems so--us standing on the shoulders of our ancestry.   But why do we think our actions could smear the dignity of our ancestors  then ? Anyway, great composition here, the combination of b/w and color opening a new perspective. 

vor 7 Stunden schrieb JMF:

Wonderful picture, JM. And you seem to have the most comprehensive collection of obscure and rare cameras and lenses. ( not speaking of the Plaubel, owned one myself. Sold it due to an inverse GAS... ) Do you do the technicalities of adapting, calibrating, restoring and so on yourself ? 

• Like 1

Summertime XIII

....only mad dogs and german cyclists 
go out in the midday sun.. 

MP; S´rit 2,4/50; Portra 160@100

Edited by Kl@usW.
  • Like 16
  • Haha 3

Leica M5 - 50Summicron - Ilford HP5

• Like 16

Leica M5 - 21Elmarit - Ilford HP5

• Like 18

Leica M5 - 50Summicron - Ilfor HP5

• Like 19

Squeeze

• Like 17

4 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

Rog, I'm still pondering about this one. Inheritance is word with a huge space of associations... what we inherit  and what we command, what we inherit and like or dislike... and is inheritance unidirectional ? In our culture it seems so--us standing on the shoulders of our ancestry.   But why do we think our actions could smear the dignity of our ancestors  then ? Anyway, great composition here, the combination of b/w and color opening a new perspective. 

Wonderful picture, JM. And you seem to have the most comprehensive collection of obscure and rare cameras and lenses. ( not speaking of the Plaubel, owned one myself. Sold it due to an inverse GAS... ) Do you do the technicalities of adapting, calibrating, restoring and so on yourself ? 

Thanks a lot KlausW,

I have a few friends around to help me tweak, restore and adapt the cameras and lenses which I  eventually end up shimming and calibrate when necessary.

Been playing with very early nickel Elmars and Hectors recently.

The Roland 645 is a joy to use and always brings surprises ! The latest hot conversion is the 24x27 Leica Post and its original 28mm Summaron , now both are finally working as normal camera and lens should . The 24x27 now sports a M2 rangefinder into a M3 shell 🙂

Best regards, Jean-Marc.

11 hours ago, Suede said:

JM, I always find the light difficult inside churches, too extreme, and the challenge intimidating. So I just give them a respectable pass.

Salute your courage and steady hands. 

Thanks a lot Suede, 

you nailed it... just got the neg from the lab and it was TriX 400 a friend had loaded into the Plaubel and I ended the roll using the inner light meter with 1/15s at f4.5

so I informed the wrong ISO earlier , my bad  ! Been playing with too many cameras recently !!

Not always so steady though:

no jardim botânico by JM__, on Flickr

Roland 6x4,5 with Ilford Delta 100

Best, JM.

Edited by JMF

8 hours ago, philipus said:

Rog, Phil you have me on the floor with your exchange. I happen to have a copy of Strunk and White on the shelf in one of our toilets. It shares the space with Harry Frankfurt's enlightening and admirably brief "On Bullshit", F Scott's effervescent "On Booze" and Tom Hodgkinson's excellent "How to be idle".

Kill your darlings, they say, and true it holds for any artistic endeavour, including legal writing, if that can count as artistry. Personally I think it most definitely can, but sadly the amount of artistic legal writing is inversely proportional to the amount of lawyers there are on this planet. Then again, that's very likely the same in any profession. For instance, did those who wrote instruction manuals for VCRs or those who create bullshit bingo-like PowerPoint presentations of sales projections ever even begin to contemplate about thinking that what they're doing could be art and benefit from the many rules or guidelines that exist to help improve it? Likely not, and the world is a poorer place because of it. 

For anyone enjoying incisive and intelligently funny commentary on all the cr*p that's happening these days when reason seems to have gone wherever reason goes when it's not around any longer one of the very best newspapers there is is The Economist. They regularly feature columns on language. In 2004 they published a fantastic piece called Out with the long. It's behind a paywall but even the first two paragraphs show that short words are the best and that old words when short are best of all, just like Churchill said.

The problem, as always, is time, or more precisely one's inability to spend it wisely. My constitutional law professor advised us during the first term at uni not to leave papers to the last moment, but to treat them like French cheese. Write them early and leave them in a drawer for a while, then take them out and edit and improve. To be honest I don't think he had any idea of how the French make cheese, but the advice is sound and can, like Churchill's words, be applied to photography too. I've used for many years, but keep forgetting in which drawer I put my negatives.

Wonderful, really excellent. I've always thought that the self-timer looks like a rather rude hand gesture, but perhaps I'm the only one.

Brilliant JM. I immediately recognised those chairs:

Flickr
1N EF50/1.4 Tri-X Coolscan V

Thanks Philip,

quite an inspiring location it is !

Eglise Saint Sulpice de Paris by JM__, on Flickr

TriX 400 - Plaubel W67

Edited by JMF

Passage Vivienne by JM__, on Flickr

Passage Vivienne by JM__, on Flickr

400 TriX here again, not Acros 100 as I wrote earlier on

with a 21 SA 4 LTM/M on a 24x27  modified Leica-Post body

thanks , apologies for the mistaken film stocks ,

best regards, Jean-Marc.

Backwater
Opaque. Steel, stucco, cement, and canvas.

• Like 12