I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Spring awakening 3

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

MP - 2/35 - Fuji Superia 200 (expired) @ 160 - ext. dev./scan.

• Like 13

2 hours ago, christoph_d said:

Another picture from the slightly over-ripened Konica slide film.

CL, 40, Konica Minolta Slide film, 13 years out of date, cross developed

Until I "discovered" Color Implosion for myself - thanks to your wonderful little Via Francigena book - I must admit I'd always looked on films like that as a bit of a gimmick. However now, having used a fair bit of CI, as well as Cinestill 800T and seeing results like this that you are getting from this marvelous expired cross-processed Konica film, I see it as a true "weapon" that film has - its insistence that the imperfect is truly magical in the right hands. These are quite brilliant shots, and the subject matter that you've chosen lends itself perfectly to the qualities - yes, the extraordinary qualities - of the chosen media.

As an aside, my little jewel of a 40mm Rokkor arrived this morning, and this evening it and I were getting ourselves saturated at the park up the hill - it was windy, rainy, dark and empty except for me, a few ducks and about 100 kangaroos - what could be better! It is really something to behold, the neat little size of this lens (identical, as you point out, to the summicron). I think it'll be getting a LOT of use! Thanks so much for these exquisite examples.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Am 31.5.2020 um 05:19 schrieb erl:

Tea Break, in Fes, Morocco

Impressive portrait-I like the blue contrasting the skin color. 

Am 31.5.2020 um 02:38 schrieb stray cat:

Flamingos? You can never have too many of 'em. Texas 2009

M6TTL, 35mm Summicron, Ektar

Thats bizarre Phil. Well spotted. 

Am 31.5.2020 um 05:32 schrieb Wayne:

Garage Band

My brother, Bill.

After 30 year hiatus, Mom's passing pulled some string in his soul and made him pick up his Rickenbacker bass, again. Sounded real good. Cruel to be Kind. Took him about 30 minutes to get it back to perfect. Mom would be proud. She always hated the fact that he walked away from his music. 

And my third brother, Billy. He showed up one day about 45 years ago, age 10 or so, and has stuck around since.

IIIA (converted IA,) 28mm Summaron, HP5

thank you for sharing, Wayne. Sounds like there is a story behind the remark about Bill.   I love the glow of the Summaron. Is it an old one ? 

Am 31.5.2020 um 08:59 schrieb stray cat:

white sands, new mexico 2009

leica r8, 50mm summicron, ektar

As you said, Phil: there are pictures of clouds... and then there are pictures of clouds!  This one is perfect. 

vor 9 Stunden schrieb christoph_d:

Another picture from the slightly over-ripened Konica slide film.

that's sheer film magic... 

Edited by Kl@usW.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Forecasting
M-A APO 50 E100

• Like 16

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Congrats, very good results Klaus. And expertly exposed. I think the toning works well, too. 

On 5/31/2020 at 12:50 AM, Kl@usW. said:

This was my first go at the XP2. I have to admit that I was a little bit excited about the outcome. It feels so wrong to develop a C 41 in Rodinal.... 

April flowers from the garden. Pomegranate:  supermarket. Vase:  Alvar Aalto

HB, Makro-Planar 135/ Bellows, XP 2 @ 400, Rodinal 1:25,  18 min @ 22 C

Wow Martin, really cool. I saw we've managed to pull you into Leica Film Friends :) Welcome! 

On 5/31/2020 at 12:33 AM, Martin B said:

Anybody else still shooting infrared with Leica film cameras?

Leica M6, Leica 50/2 pre-ASPH Summicron lens, R72 filter, Ilford SFX200 film, developed with Xtol. 

IG: @creative_lens_view

That's a beautiful property!

On 5/30/2020 at 8:27 PM, bags27 said:

same kit and process

Fantastic Xicara, well spotted. Miami Vice, Tequila Sunrise lots of great associations for me. And I really like how the warm fuzzy out of focus upper half contrasts with the cool, cold even, lower half with those sharply defined leaves. To quote Rog, nothing is what it seems.

On 5/30/2020 at 5:22 PM, Xícara de Café said:

2017. Lago Paranoá, Brasilia. Nikon FE, 50mm 1:1.8 AF, Kodak ColorPlus 200.

You seem like a very musical bunch Wayne! I'm sure your mother would have been very happy that he picked up the bass again. Until my birthday this spring, I had never understood the joy of the guitar. I played the piano when I was younger so the guitar never resonated (haha) with me. But for my birthday I asked for a ukulele, and got one, so now I am doing my best to play the Imperial March on that. Fascinating stuff, those string instruments.

On 5/31/2020 at 5:32 AM, Wayne said:

Garage Band

My brother, Bill.

After 30 year hiatus, Mom's passing pulled some string in his soul and made him pick up his Rickenbacker bass, again. Sounded real good. Cruel to be Kind. Took him about 30 minutes to get it back to perfect. Mom would be proud. She always hated the fact that he walked away from his music. 

And my third brother, Billy. He showed up one day about 45 years ago, age 10 or so, and has stuck around since.

I am simply in awe of this photo and very grateful that you and your son decided to go back. What a picture.

On 5/31/2020 at 11:51 AM, stray cat said:

Bryce Canyon, Utah 2009

R8, Elmarit 24mm, Ektar

A (reasonably) funny story about this picture. My son James and I visited sort of early afternoon and it was almost impossible to jostle our way through DSLR-wielding people to get to this viewpoint. We took some pictures, went back to the hotel and then, later in the afternoon, it became apparent to us that it was going to be a very lovely evening, so we headed the 30 miles or so back. Dreading that we'd have to fight our way through the hordes again, we were pleasantly surprised to find that we were... alone. Not another soul in sight! Couldn't believe it - we assumed that the photographers would be even more thick on the ground given the magic light.

This is really lovely. With lots to look at, from those clouds to the out of focus foreground and even that little bird to keep us on our toes as our eyes pan across the image. Welcome to the thread!

On 5/31/2020 at 6:15 PM, Simsseer said:

Solitaire

MP - 2/35 - Fuji Superia 200 @ 160

Ok that's it, I will hand my camera(s) back to the quartermaster. The ultimate image has been shot! :D 

14 hours ago, stray cat said:

white sands, new mexico 2009

R8, 90mm Summicron, Ektar 100

Terrific floral study Klaus. And in such wild contrast to the still life at the top of this post. 

1 hour ago, Kl@usW. said:

European columbine ( aquilegia vulgaris)

HB 205, Makro-Planar 135; Bellows, XP2 super, Rodinal 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

vor 2 Stunden schrieb philipus:

I think the toning works well, too. 

Thank you Philipus, I have to admit that the toning is not completely my choice.... I scan the negative with my Canon 5D --- and put the RAW through the "Negative Lab Pro" Plug in for LR. The idea is then, that you "probe" the color of the film carrier between two pictures with the pipette tool and define this as grey. Good idea, but what happens afterwards is quite amusing: All slider functions in LR are inversed--and so far I haven't found out how to eliminate the toning completely.... Any suggestions by users? What about your experiences, @benqui? In the end I try to make the best of it.... 

7 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

thank you for sharing, Wayne. Sounds like there is a story behind the remark about Bill.   I love the glow of the Summaron. Is it an old one ?

Thanks, Klaus. You are correct, but he has the resilience that goes with a remarkably pure soul. Yes. It is the original Summaron. Sometimes I lament the fact that it is not coated, or at least not coated with modern materials, but then...........I love it as well.

Best,

Wayne

• Thanks 1

On 5/26/2020 at 3:25 AM, Ernest said:

Black and Gray Crossing
Rollei 35S JCH StreetPan

I keep thinking of this pairing, Rog. Apart from being able to invent various narratives for it, some not at all being obvious, it reminds me of a one liner from a "Two Ronnies" show from years back:

"And also next week, we ponder the question 'Exit signs: are they on the way out?'"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/31/2020 at 1:32 PM, Wayne said:

Garage Band

My brother, Bill.

These are wonderful, Wayne - as is the salient and timely lesson here that in the midst of adversity can grow healing and progress. Plus I always had a "thing" for those Ricky basses - just love the look (and sound) of them.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, stray cat said:

These are wonderful, Wayne - as is the salient and timely lesson here that in the midst of adversity can grow healing and progress. Plus I always had a "thing" for those Ricky basses - just love the look (and sound) of them.

7 hours ago, philipus said:

You seem like a very musical bunch Wayne! I'm sure your mother would have been very happy that he picked up the bass again. Until my birthday this spring, I had never understood the joy of the guitar. I played the piano when I was younger so the guitar never resonated (haha) with me. But for my birthday I asked for a ukulele, and got one, so now I am doing my best to play the Imperial March on that. Fascinating stuff, those string instruments.

Thanks, Phils

It was a pretty good time, in a sense, Mom's actual wake, as COVID prevented one. I joked with them that, if they ever decided to gig again, they could name themselves The Foreheads. :)

• Haha 5

41 minutes ago, stray cat said:

I keep thinking of this pairing, Rog. Apart from being able to invent various narratives for it, some not at all being obvious, it reminds me of a one liner from a "Two Ronnies" show from years back:

"And also next week, we ponder the question 'Exit signs: are they on the way out?'"

Priceless, to have such wit!

Black and Gray Crossing smacks of the absurd, probably more Beckett than anyone else. I isolated the white-haired fellow on a sight-seeing tour around Long Beach Harbor. For me, it was a lost stanza in transit, waiting for a poem. Exit was inevitable, but it would surrender to Beckett's grayness. I should say "greyness" because Beckett being Irish used the British spelling and not the American "gray." Gerhard Richter best captured the sense of color deconstructed in his publication Ohne Farbe (Without Color). Then, there's Jasper Johns's Gray, his exhibition at the Met in 2007.

Thanks for adding the much needed humor, particularly at this moment on the planet.

No Go Urban Portrait
M-A Summilux-M 50 ASPH BC Portra 400

• Like 14

3 minutes ago, Ernest said:

Priceless, to have such wit!

Black and Gray Crossing smacks of the absurd, probably more Beckett than anyone else. I isolated the white-haired fellow on a sight-seeing tour around Long Beach Harbor. For me, it was a lost stanza in transit, waiting for a poem. Exit was inevitable, but it would surrender to Beckett's grayness. I should say "greyness" because Beckett being Irish used the British spelling and not the American "gray." Gerhard Richter best captured the sense of color deconstructed in his publication Ohne Farbe (Without Color). Then, there's Jasper Johns's Gray, his exhibition at the Met in 2007.

Thanks for adding the much needed humor, particularly at this moment on the planet.

No Go Urban Portrait
M-A Summilux-M 50 ASPH BC Portra 400

And, metaphorically, this seems an apt personification for the times.

My heart weeps for America at this time. May you, we all, come out of it better, stronger, and more caring for each other.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, stray cat said:

And, metaphorically, this seems an apt personification for the times.

My heart weeps for America at this time. May you, we all, come out of it better, stronger, and more caring for each other.

Thanks so much for the kind thoughts, but this is Absurd Theatre deconstructing itself, seemingly consigned to a landscape of threatening repetition. 

Endure, we must. I replay the thought of the tragedy that gripped Australia with choking fires that claimed so many lives, property, and animals. Truly, unfathomable. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Ernest said:

Thanks so much for the kind thoughts, but this is Absurd Theatre deconstructing itself, seemingly consigned to a landscape of threatening repetition. 

Endure, we must. I replay the thought of the tragedy that gripped Australia with choking fires that claimed so many lives, property, and animals. Truly, unfathomable. 

It is said that hindsight is always 20-20. I wonder, though, if foresight might not have made our very present 2020 a lot more kind? We must now, surely, use our keenest, clearest vision in the emergence from the cruel devastation and human folly that has characterized the beginning of this year. I guess we as photographers - by definition people of vision, drawers of light -  should accept some responsibility for the future direction: the lowering of the curtain on this cruel, destructive and heartless theatre of the absurd to an audience stunned into silence, motivated into being better. If history repeats, small changes will inevitably follow. But is that enough?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

27 minutes ago, stray cat said:

It is said that hindsight is always 20-20. I wonder, though, if foresight might not have made our very present 2020 a lot more kind? We must now, surely, use our keenest, clearest vision in the emergence from the cruel devastation and human folly that has characterized the beginning of this year. I guess we as photographers - by definition people of vision, drawers of light -  should accept some responsibility for the future direction: the lowering of the curtain on this cruel, destructive and heartless theatre of the absurd to an audience stunned into silence, motivated into being better. If history repeats, small changes will inevitably follow. But is that enough?

Rog, Phil, 

Much too early for me here to add any useful content to your thoughts, but I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments.

C.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, stray cat said:

Until I "discovered" Color Implosion for myself - thanks to your wonderful little Via Francigena book - I must admit I'd always looked on films like that as a bit of a gimmick. However now, having used a fair bit of CI, as well as Cinestill 800T and seeing results like this that you are getting from this marvelous expired cross-processed Konica film, I see it as a true "weapon" that film has - its insistence that the imperfect is truly magical in the right hands. These are quite brilliant shots, and the subject matter that you've chosen lends itself perfectly to the qualities - yes, the extraordinary qualities - of the chosen media.

As an aside, my little jewel of a 40mm Rokkor arrived this morning, and this evening it and I were getting ourselves saturated at the park up the hill - it was windy, rainy, dark and empty except for me, a few ducks and about 100 kangaroos - what could be better! It is really something to behold, the neat little size of this lens (identical, as you point out, to the summicron). I think it'll be getting a LOT of use! Thanks so much for these exquisite examples.

Phil, 

Thank you, and I am happy I could inspire you a bit! I see film photography, films like these, lenses that flare, viewfinders that are poorly aligned and decisive moments missed, as a reflection of the theatre of life itself: multiple possibilities, some don't play out as we would like them to, but they nevertheless produce wonderful results. 

A last one from that Konica film:

• Like 18