I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

500CM/Planar80/LOMO-400

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

500CM/Planar80/LOMO-400

G2..Another deserted hotel//Covid-19

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 5/25/2020 at 12:04 PM, Ernest said:

Astounding! The paramedics are shouting, "Clear!" They don't need the paddles on this one; it's breathing vital life. This is alibi enough for artists to never leave Taos. The breath of blue. I am reaching for Winsor Newton Cerulean Blue (137) for the pickup and the door, then mix in a swipe of Manganese (382) for the sky, so subtle, which brings up the assertive Cad Yellow (108), playing with Cad Lemon (086), offset with standby Raw Sienna (128) and punctuation Raw Sienna (128), Burnt Umber (104), and Yellow Ochre (136). Is there a law against having too much fun? Not here! Even the curb gets into the act! Bravo, bravo. Encore!

13 hours ago, philipus said:

I echo what others have said, this is amazing (and being Swedish I'm a bit partial to the chosen palette of course :D )

But there's another thought that enters my head seeing this, which is that it is rare, extremely rare, to see a photo that would work equally well in both colour and monochrome. This is definitely such a photo. Just sublime, Phil, sublime.

Thank you so much, Rog and Philip - I really appreciate your thoughts on this picture. Thank you all who gave it a nudge. I must admit that, when I saw it coming together, and the truck actually inched forward enough (it was a Saturday morning traffic snarl near an open market) I almost fumbled the camera out of my hands raising it to get the shot. "Please move just a little forward, NO not too far, that's right, is it focussed, enough depth of field... YES!" Click and - then it was gone. Sometimes (not often enough) the photography gods look down and smile. Interestingly enough, Philip, I may well have happened to have had black and white film (Fomapan or FP4) in the camera as I was using it quite a bit but just happened to have Ektar, with its Winsor & Newton catalogue of colour, loaded at the time.

11 hours ago, Ernest said:

Sometimes I am rightly accused of overstaying my weekend pass, but just to allay those accusations of misdirecting my focus, always a challenge, I do not go around with the catalog of Winsor Newton numbered oil colors in my head. It's just that my enthusiasm for your palette in this vibrant take on Taos life nudged me to my taboret and all those wondrous oils no doubt feeling like abandoned orphans suffering decades of neglect. So I've taken the audacious liberty to reinterpret, piggyback if you will, through loose abstraction your work, here, I apologize in advance for any offense, but this was the only way I could answer the challenge of the visual play that caromed in my mind. 

Taos Redux Phil I
M-A APO 50 E100 & Fuji Natura

Rog, most certainly au contraire - I am sincerely humbled and honoured that you reconstructed the design of my picture into this wonderful, playful, fragments of the real-world assemblage. I can clearly identify, from this, Philip's patriotic remembrance of the Swedish flag. But - ah, wait a minute - you suffered my fumble and the truck DID move on! This, though, is extraordinary and I am in awe of the attention to detail.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, christoph_d said:

I much appreciate it if the people in the scenery adhere to the colour code...

MP, 35, Ektar100

4 hours ago, Ernest said:

Intersection No. 8
M-A APO 50 Fuji Natura

Adherence to the colour code not only by the cyclist but also by the very next post! What a fortuitous - serendipitous, is that the word? - pairing of pictures. Both wonderful, too, and if I am to follow them sequentially I invent a quite unfortunate scenario for the bicyclist.

BTW I have succumbed to lockdown madness and consequently a 40mm M-Rokkor f2 lens is currently on its way to me from Japan. And I really, honestly thought I was done in the acquisition stakes! I know you use one (or the Leica equivalent) Christoph, as do a few other posters here, so I'd certainly love to see examples of what the little jewel is capable of...

• Haha 3

Welta Welti, 50/3.5 Tessar, Kodak Image Pro 100

• Like 12

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, stray cat said:

Adherence to the colour code not only by the cyclist but also by the very next post! What a fortuitous - serendipitous, is that the word? - pairing of pictures. Both wonderful, too, and if I am to follow them sequentially I invent a quite unfortunate scenario for the bicyclist.

Beware, they are waiting for people from down under here 😶

MP, 35, Ektar100

• Like 5
  • Haha 9

5 hours ago, stray cat said:

BTW I have succumbed to lockdown madness and consequently a 40mm M-Rokkor f2 lens is currently on its way to me from Japan. And I really, honestly thought I was done in the acquisition stakes! I know you use one (or the Leica equivalent) Christoph, as do a few other posters here, so I'd certainly love to see examples of what the little jewel is capable of...

At least someone is supporting the economy! I've got the Summicron-C 1:2/40mm, not the M-Rokkor, but I suspect it is the same optical formula, see also here

It's the most compact lens I own for the M-system, doesn't protrude much and very light. The focal length of in-between 35 and 40 I find ideal for travel - I happen to know that you have a little book of images of an Italian journey - most of those have been photographed with that little lens - though the Implosion effect may mean that some of the lens characteristics are obscured. The lens seems to be designed to provide contrast, so images may appear harsh - typical for many Leica 70ies lenses. I quite like this characteristic. Here's an example from Berlin some years ago: 

M4-P, 40, Foma100, Rodinal

• Like 14

And another one:

same details as previous

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

And another one in colour.

CL, 40, Portra160

• Like 11

29 minutes ago, christoph_d said:

And another one:

same details as previous

Magnetic is the word that comes to mind, since this image has such a pronounced pull of perspective: the textbook vanishing point, the solitary figure and shadow in counterpoint to the ten-story sculpture across the river, all directly into the sun! Ray-Bans, plus.

• Thanks 2

Intersection No. 9
M-A APO 50 Fuji Natura

• Like 16

Boogie-Woogie on Mondrian Blvd.
M-A APO 50 E100

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, christoph_d said:

Wonderful, and wonderful colours. Clearly, sharpness isn't everything. 

Thanks. It was pretty dark (1/2 second,) a zone focus camera, low ISO, and a VF less than ideal. I cannot say how many times I have missed a shot because I was messing with focus  or exposure settings, only to see the subject go away. I mean, I would have had something if I had just pushed the button, first, and worried about the second shot after that. One thing I am learning from these less than optimal conditions and cameras: Just shoot. :)

Best,

Wayne

Edited by Wayne
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, christoph_d said:

At least someone is supporting the economy! I've got the Summicron-C 1:2/40mm, not the M-Rokkor, but I suspect it is the same optical formula, see also here

It's the most compact lens I own for the M-system, doesn't protrude much and very light. The focal length of in-between 35 and 40 I find ideal for travel - I happen to know that you have a little book of images of an Italian journey - most of those have been photographed with that little lens - though the Implosion effect may mean that some of the lens characteristics are obscured. The lens seems to be designed to provide contrast, so images may appear harsh - typical for many Leica 70ies lenses. I quite like this characteristic. Here's an example from Berlin some years ago: 

M4-P, 40, Foma100, Rodinal

Aaah, yes. That little book, Via Francigena, has been very influential - technically through the realization that Color Implosion was indeed an excellent film in the right hands and for exposing me to some beautiful examples of the 40mm lens. These influences have caused me to try both the film and, now, the lens! Also aesthetically because of the beautiful, spiritual pictures taken on a very personal journey in often sodden conditions. An absolute treasure for which I want to thank you again. Thanks, also for these lovely examples using the 40mm, and for the wonderful examples of unintelligible roadside signage!

• Thanks 1

Another one, this time closer to home. I miss those Eagle colours 😥

Bessa-L, 24, Eagle640

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1