I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

I know I've posted this already in an obscure Historica thread but nobody's going to see it there and this is where I belong, so... 

This is from my first roll using my new 1952 Leitz Summaron 35mm f/3.5.  I am really please with the lens and with the Portra 160, which I'd never used before in 35mm form

• Like 19

OH MY! WOW! I echo what Phil and Rog have said regarding the cinematic qualities of this sublime shot and add "look at the graphic display of repeating shapes and lines and all that eeeeeeeempty darkness. What a shot, Xiara. 

18 hours ago, Xícara de Café said:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

No-hands self-portrait. Nikon F2, Nikkor-S Auto 50mm 1:1.4, Ilford HP5 400, Kodak D-76.

Hahaha this made me laugh out loud.

13 hours ago, christoph_d said:

Arles 2019 and no further comment 😁

M4-P, 50, Ektar 100

So cool Phil, what a find to come across a scene like that at precisely the right minute to see the tracks light up like veins filled with mercury. Superbly composed too. Love it. 

12 hours ago, stray cat said:

flinders street rail yards 1991

bronica 6X7, kodak EPP

And then this! The complete opposite of the previous one, its industrialism cousin. Though it is black and white, this shot pulsates with life and the ever-changing nature of our planet. But there are also those power or phone lines hinting at civilisation somewhere over the, well, is it the rainbow or something else? Very cool to see two contrasting shots like these side-by-side.

7 hours ago, stray cat said:

road to nowhere 1999

fp4 plus

Oh man, and THIS! You're taking Nighthawks and totally CRUSH it with those roof lines and that bright red. I am truly impressed with the exposure on this one too, if I can become a bit photo nerdy for a sec.

7 hours ago, stray cat said:

time for a coca cola 1991

bronica 6X7, kodak EPP

Wow what a desolate view Antonio. Excellent shot.

7 hours ago, AntonioF said:

Lockdown Rooftop - Leica IIIc, Canon 50/1.4 LTM, HP5@1600

It's always around 4pm somewhere on the globe :D Love it. I can already taste the dry martini 🍸

1 hour ago, mdp said:

Wine time?

MP Nokton 50/1.2 Delta 100 in DDX

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 19 Stunden schrieb Ernest:

Is that brutish forced perspective or what? Or the cover for your graphic novel? No tiptoeing around? Ha, ha, ha.

I find taking photos of monuments challenging-the pomp, the out of date attitude towards the victims of colonization in this case, the immense hardship the colonizers endured themselves turned into a sour tasting heroism-- i gave it a try by turning attention to the ridiculous belief attached to caressing  of the big toe... not the best of my travel shots, the cut-off head of the hero himself, the suboptimal framing.. but sometimes we have to be patient with ourselves.. and now is such a time.  Here the full frontal perspective:  

• Like 16

16 minutes ago, Kl@usW. said:

I find taking photos of monuments challenging-the pomp, the out of date attitude towards the victims of colonization in this case, the immense hardship the colonizers endured themselves turned into a sour tasting heroism-- i gave it a try by turning attention to the ridiculous belief attached to caressing  of the big toe... not the best of my travel shots, the cut-off head of the hero himself, the suboptimal framing.. but sometimes we have to be patient with ourselves.. and now is such a time.  Here the full frontal perspective:  

The forced perspective of your other shot is very dynamic, dramatic! Here, we'll let sleeping dogs lie, but the pizzazz factor of "The Toe" wins the day. The framing works so well, so I'm snapping my fingers, anyway. Bravo. Take chances.

• Thanks 1

Clean the screen.   [Agfa Vista 400]

Don't see Agfa Vista listed at Fotoimpex anymore 😒

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 2:25 AM, stray cat said:

dreaming / fred williams landscape, northern territory 2002

I was influenced, while taking these photographs, by both Aboriginal art and the art of fred williams: https://www.ngv.vic.gov.au/essay/fred-williamss-pilbara-series/

What an inspiring catalogue of very creative excursions, your vision galloping across the landscape, weaving through trainyards, even splashing pool toys, dodging aliens green, sidestepping Indiana Jones's Boulder, snacking on raspberries from a smiling vendor, taking Vermeer's glance over the shoulder of a seaside pastel artist, then hoping for a glimpse of Edward Hopper sipping a Coke waiting for friendly Nighthawks--getting it all down with the precision of a moment, visual poetry.

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 2:37 AM, stray cat said:

impossible tree, king's canyon, northern territory 2002

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 3:00 AM, stray cat said:

"Hello, ish that the poleesh? (hic). You're not (hic) gonna believe thish, but..."

Wycliffe Well, Northern Territory 2002

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 3:08 AM, stray cat said:

big red rock, karlu karlu (devil's marbles), northern territory 2002

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 1:09 AM, stray cat said:

Vanuatu raspberries, Port Vila 1993

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 1:33 AM, stray cat said:

pool toys 1998

Agfa RSXII 100

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 7:20 PM, stray cat said:

the enchanted tree 1997

kodak ektachrome LPP

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 7:53 PM, stray cat said:

making art, port Phillip bay 1998

ektachrome LPP

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 4:10 AM, stray cat said:

mount buffalo 1993

velvia 50, bronica 6X7

16 hours ago, stray cat said:

flinders street rail yards 1991

bronica 6X7, kodak EPP

11 hours ago, stray cat said:

road to nowhere 1999

fp4 plus

11 hours ago, stray cat said:

time for a coca cola 1991

bronica 6X7, kodak EPP

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Keith (M) said:

Well, since the arrival of my M10M two months ago my photographic activities have been exclusively digital - until last Friday when I dusted off my H503CX, loaded a roll of FP4+ and ventured out on a walk in the local area.  This is a view of the newly electrified London to Bristol mainline.  Planar 80mm, yellow filter, Ilfosol 3.

Hard to fault that Keith, you could also pass this off as being from the M10M.

Gary

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For Stray Cat (Sorry if I’ve posted these before) - Memories of the Kimberleys (1986) to help you in your day:

Kowa 66 w/ Ektachrome 64

I009 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr 

A001 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr 

I007 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr 

• Like 16

Before
M-A APO 50 ADOX Color Implosion

• Like 14

More 1986 Kimberleys for Phil and David...

Kowa 66 w/ Ektachrome 64

A003 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

A002 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

I008 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

• Like 16

...and a bit more for good luck...

Kowa 66 w/  Ektachrome 64

I006 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

I002 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

I001 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

• Like 13

dans Paris by JM__, on Flickr

Ektachrome 100 - 40 Rokkor M - Minolta CLE

On 4/5/2020 at 8:16 PM, Sparkassenkunde said:

Enchanted indeed! I love how you managed to catch the glow at the trunk, truly wonderful!

On 4/6/2020 at 3:59 AM, Kl@usW. said:

an apparition ?  or the illustration of the concept of satori ?  a test for the lens and the film anyway.. well done. 

6 hours ago, philipus said:

So cool Phil, what a find to come across a scene like that at precisely the right minute to see the tracks light up like veins filled with mercury. Superbly composed too. Love it. 

And then this! The complete opposite of the previous one, its industrialism cousin. Though it is black and white, this shot pulsates with life and the ever-changing nature of our planet. But there are also those power or phone lines hinting at civilisation somewhere over the, well, is it the rainbow or something else? Very cool to see two contrasting shots like these side-by-side.

Oh man, and THIS! You're taking Nighthawks and totally CRUSH it with those roof lines and that bright red. I am truly impressed with the exposure on this one too, if I can become a bit photo nerdy for a sec.

3 hours ago, Ernest said:

What an inspiring catalogue of very creative excursions, your vision galloping across the landscape, weaving through trainyards, even splashing pool toys, dodging aliens green, sidestepping Indiana Jones's Boulder, snacking on raspberries from a smiling vendor, taking Vermeer's glance over the shoulder of a seaside pastel artist, then hoping for a glimpse of Edward Hopper sipping a Coke waiting for friendly Nighthawks--getting it all down with the precision of a moment, visual poetr

Wow. I truly mean it when I say a most sincere thank you to you for these generous thoughts and to all who have been and continue to be so supportive on this wonderful thread. This is such a great community where you can't help to feel so proud that your pictures sit there alongside the amazing work that is continually posted here. Thank you, again and again.

• Like 5