I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

11 hours ago, Suede said:

Evokativ, Arles.   [FM3a, ProImage 100]

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I don’t know what you thought of this exhibition, but I remember it very well. They used to hang great works of the masters of photography there, In the past I saw pictures of Koudelka in those rooms, for example, but also of many other superb (and rightfully famous) photographers. So this specific exhibition was, to me, a huge disappointment, and unfortunately also a harbinger of worse to come (when visiting the rest of the show). The picture you captured in the foreground is perhaps one of the two or three pictures of the pictures of this photographer on show, that were worth looking at. Or, as an anonymous person described it in the visitor’s book: the text next to the pictures is more interesting to look at than the images themselves. As indicated above, a lot of the remaining exhibitions were of doubtful quality as well. In the former railway depot (and elsewhere) they used to have exhibitions were I discovered hitherto unknown (to me) photographers like Pentti Sammallahti or Bernard Plossu. This time around I met a medical doctor from Paris in those halls. Wearing a Leica (and yes, she could use it, she showed me some excellent pictures of hers) she spoke of her disappointment of that year’s show, and told me that the pictures in that particular exhibition had a striking resemblance with the images her patients were producing - in a mental institution she was working for ...

... anyway, Arles itself is a lovely and beautiful city and I look forward to visiting it again 😁.

Edited by christoph_d
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Am ‎31‎.‎03‎.‎2020 um 23:21 schrieb JMF:

in Saana, Yemen by JM__, on Flickr

Horizon S3 - TriX 

Am ‎31‎.‎03‎.‎2020 um 23:58 schrieb JMF:

in Yemen by JM__, on Flickr

Kodak E200 - Horizon S3

vor 12 Stunden schrieb JMF:

in Saana by JM__, on Flickr

Kodak E200 - Horizon S3

Mark, I love your Jemen photos, really a joy to look at. I was in Saana 20 years ago and it was one of the most beautiful cities I have ever seen. But unfortunately things have changed a lot since this time.

• Thanks 1

A piece of sea:

Minolta Autocord - Agfa Optima 200

• Like 18

12 hours ago, JMF said:

Molom, Mongolia , 1992 by JM__, on Flickr

Horizont - Kodak EC 100

I love the feeling of timelessness  in this photo the mans dress, his staff. In addition the choice of format, to mind makes the photo that much more effective it's as if he is moving through the photo.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Wayne said:

Film Ferrania P30, Shot at 80. I think it more or a 50 or 32

Contax T, CZ 38/2.8 Sonnar (Wonder Camera :) )

I've just loaded a roll of that!  Interested to see what I get...

Kakadu Sunset, Northern Territory 1997

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, benqui said:

Mark, I love your Jemen photos, really a joy to look at. I was in Saana 20 years ago and it was one of the most beautiful cities I have ever seen. But unfortunately things have changed a lot since this time.

Thanks a lot everyone !

I was lucky to spend a few weeks working in Yemen around 2003 and was amazed by this beautiful country . 

Medina, Saana by JM__, on Flickr

a room with a view, Medina, Saana by JM__, on Flickr

Kodak E 200 - Hexar AF

TriX - SLR

on the road above Taiz. by JM__, on Flickr

TriX - Hexar AF

4 hours ago, Bateleur said:

I love the feeling of timelessness  in this photo the mans dress, his staff. In addition the choice of format, to mind makes the photo that much more effective it's as if he is moving through the photo.

Yes, it was actually an actor dressed for a movie  and I grabbed the Horizont quickly for a single shot during a rehearsal in this timeless setting !

Welcome drink, Molom by JM__, on Flickr

Ektachrome 100 HC - Pentax ME Super

Missing those times !

Be well !

Cheers, Jean-Marc.

Edited by JMF

5 hours ago, nefarious said:

I've just loaded a roll of that!  Interested to see what I get...

As I stated, I shot the roll in a Contax T with AP auto exposure. the camera is usually pretty good when it comes to exposure. In almost every instance where I shot, at ISO 80, with a bright area, e.g. open sky, the shadow areas were very underexposed. I have never had this problem with this camera before. I think the box speed of 80 is a bit high. Even in shots that did not include open sky, or dark shadow areas, it seemed a bit underexposed.

Best regards,

Wayne

• Thanks 2

Kodak E200 - Horizon S3

On 4/1/2020 at 10:23 AM, mdp said:

Spring!

MP Nokton 50/1.2 Ektachrome in Tetenal

Great shot. Used to love these until we moved into the countryside. They are taking over my lawns! Also, we’re at least a week behind you in terms of blossoming. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You found Gandalf! :D "None shall pass!"

22 hours ago, JMF said:

Molom, Mongolia , 1992 by JM__, on Flickr

Horizont - Kodak EC 100

Love this one Joachim. I have always found it funny that sausage is feminine in German.

22 hours ago, mdachs said:

m6 1.4/35 pre

Joachim

Great tonality Wayne. Cracking camera. I didn't know about it but wow they fetch a lot in the used marked these days. With such a lens I can understand it.

20 hours ago, Wayne said:

Film Ferrania P30, Shot at 80. I think it more or a 50 or 32

Contax T, CZ 38/2.8 Sonnar (Wonder Camera :) )

Thanks for the tip on Plossu. Really interesting work. We went to Arles last summer too and, believe it or not, didn't visit even one exhibition. First time there so we spent the afternoon soaking up the old town instead. I haven't got to those films in my scanning endeavour though...I'm so sloooow these days because I follow the instrux of the British government:

11 hours ago, christoph_d said:

Bernard Plossu.

(...)

Arles itself is a lovely and beautiful city and I look forward to visiting it again 😁.

Wow this is so cool Phil, what an otherworldly shot!

8 hours ago, stray cat said:

Jim Jim Falls, Kakadu, Northern Territory 1997

I get the feeling also the little one is waiting to drink :D 

1 hour ago, JMF said:

Kodak E200 - Horizon S3

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, christoph_d said:

I don’t know what you thought of this exhibition, but I remember it very well. They used to hang great works of the masters of photography there, In the past I saw pictures of Koudelka in those rooms, for example, but also of many other superb (and rightfully famous) photographers. So this specific exhibition was, to me, a huge disappointment, and unfortunately also a harbinger of worse to come (when visiting the rest of the show). The picture you captured in the foreground is perhaps one of the two or three pictures of the pictures of this photographer on show, that were worth looking at. Or, as an anonymous person described it in the visitor’s book: the text next to the pictures is more interesting to look at than the images themselves. As indicated above, a lot of the remaining exhibitions were of doubtful quality as well. In the former railway depot (and elsewhere) they used to have exhibitions were I discovered hitherto unknown (to me) photographers like Pentti Sammallahti or Bernard Plossu. This time around I met a medical doctor from Paris in those halls. Wearing a Leica (and yes, she could use it, she showed me some excellent pictures of hers) she spoke of her disappointment of that year’s show, and told me that the pictures in that particular exhibition had a striking resemblance with the images her patients were producing - in a mental institution she was working for ...

... anyway, Arles itself is a lovely and beautiful city and I look forward to visiting it again 😁.

Really astute arts reporting with a dash of humor, so informative and inspiring. I am clapping for more, more. Now I am starting to sound like Edward G. Robinson playing Rocco in Key Largo answering Humphrey Bogart's question: "What do you want, Rocco?"  And when Rocco seems stumped, Bogart offers an answer, "More," to which Robinson agrees. "Yeah, that's right. I want more."

Jim Jim Falls, Kakadu, Northern Territory 1997

And talk about inspiring and so perspiring, this Northern Territory is pushing the volt meter into the red.

Kakadu Sunset, Northern Territory 1997

Just like I said, the volt meter's in the red. The would challenge even J.M.W. Turner.

• Like 3