I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Nap No II
M-A APO 50 Fuji Natura & E100

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7

On 3/8/2020 at 8:55 PM, Sparkassenkunde said:

Great portrait, Phil!

On 3/9/2020 at 12:06 AM, Steve Ricoh said:

My eyes keeps moving right left, left right - line and texture mainly, and the the bookend effect. A really nice graphic triptych Phil.

On 3/9/2020 at 2:30 AM, benqui said:

Great and impressive portrait!!!

On 3/9/2020 at 5:56 AM, Ernest said:

It's always a challenge to deconstruct the tyranny of the rectangle with diagonals. In cinema, it's the Dutch tilt, a series of cuts with opposing angles, tilted to the left one way, then to the right, for a disjointed, dramatic effect. The Third Man comes to mind. The play of light and dark, here, the fragmentation of geometric form, invites connecting the separate frames into a whole. The partial frames that bookend this composition underscore the sense of indeterminacy, the allusion to antecedent images (26A) out of frame, beginnings, and frames beyond 28A, endings. This is evidence of fragmentation theory expressed in photography. That the subject is a roadway or path is not lost, either, as well as the option of left-to-right of right-to-left reading. Even the "footnote" of 35mm film stock creates that conflict reminding us of the plural question; do we make a photograph or take a photograph? Is it even an either/or proposition?

Zoe Croggon does very creative work capitalizing on diagonals. Unfortunately, her book, Arc, is rare, but her website offers a glimpse of her collage work.

http://www.zoecroggon.com/

On 3/9/2020 at 7:12 AM, philipus said:

Beats me Phil, but it was quite large, maybe 15cm across. 

Splendid Phil. Like a puzzle of reality with jumbled-about pieces.

Thank you all so much for your kind and thoughtful comments. 

Philip, I guess Rog May have been right about it being petrified wood, then - a bone that size would be massive!

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, AntonioF said:

wrecked pedal boat

Nikon F80, Nikkor 50/1.8 AFD, Kodak 2383 @ iso 3

This is a really, really wonderful picture, Antonio. Apart from the formal aspects - tone, composition - it stands as a kind of metaphor for Italy’s position in a covid-19 frenzy. Best wishes to you and your family - and all in Italy and other seriously affected countries- throughout this whole ordeal.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

37 minutes ago, stray cat said:

This is a really, really wonderful picture, Antonio. Apart from the formal aspects - tone, composition - it stands as a kind of metaphor for Italy’s position in a covid-19 frenzy. Best wishes to you and your family - and all in Italy and other seriously affected countries- throughout this whole ordeal.

Thanks! As of tonight, the country is locked down. Moving is allowed only for work or health reasons. We'll see how it goes. I'm going to work from home for a couple of days.

• Like 3

vor 1 Minute schrieb AntonioF:

Thanks! As of tonight, the country is locked down. Moving is allowed only for work or health reasons. We'll see how it goes. I'm going to work from home for a couple of days.

All the best to you and your family. I hope there is not too much panic in your area!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, stray cat said:

Yes! And the slow shutter speed adds to the blur of timelessness. (Is that possible?) This is one of those images that has a metaphoric voice, as Phil sees it. Very haunting.

This Covid-19 Chaos gives me No Nap. I never wanted to know what N99 meant.

• Like 2

Nap No III

• Like 15

1 hour ago, AntonioF said:

Somewhat better with your southern location, I hope. Stay well.

Gary

• Thanks 2

On 3/8/2020 at 9:30 AM, JMF said:

dans Paris by JM__, on Flickr

Ektachrome 100 - 40 Rokkor - Minolta CLE

I keep going back to this picture, Jean-Marc. It's very surreal - I love it!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ernest said:

Nap No III

There's a dark cloud hanging over a grey old world? But I see this cloud, like all clouds are supposed to, has a silver lining. Let's hope so!

• Haha 1

Quite likely. Good thing I'm not an archeologist lol. And a creature with bones like that would have had me petrified :D 

12 hours ago, stray cat said:

Philip, I guess Rog May have been right about it being petrified wood, then - a bone that size would be massive!

Such a cool photo Antonio, the haunting sea and sky fit the abandoned pedalo perfectly. 

12 hours ago, AntonioF said:

wrecked pedal boat

Nikon F80, Nikkor 50/1.8 AFD, Kodak 2383 @ iso 3

Same here, I've looked at it several times. Really excellent shot J-M.

7 hours ago, stray cat said:

I keep going back to this picture, Jean-Marc. It's very surreal - I love it!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, AntonioF said:

All the best wishes to you and your family, stay safe! I guess we here up north are only a few days behind and will see a significant increase in new infections soon. As I hopefully don't fall into the group of the highest risk, I am more concerned about older and weaker people's health. Let us all hope for better times and may the efforts of scientists all over to globe come to fast results regarding vaccination or other methods to deal with this disease. 

To support Italian interests I ordered some rolls of Ferrania P30 just yesterday 😎

Edited by Sparkassenkunde
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Nap No IX
M-A APO 50 & Thambar-M CS Fuji Natura & E100

• Like 15