I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

21 hours ago, stray cat said:

Cyclical, as in it rides round and round like a spiral, coasting through childhood handprints, the big 'E' (our new name for Ernest - "the big E" ??), WARNING!, the wasp and the bee, a red jacketed, lap blanketed, relaxed senior and back again. The circle of life - in this case the cycle of life or as Adam so correctly named it, the life-cycle. A pun, a play on words, a double entendre, what have you; nudge nudge wink wink and on we go.

Big E, I hereby sentence you to the eclectic chair

Oh,  please, not the high voltage "eclectic chair!" If I had hair, it would be standing on end. The humor needle is bouncing into the red.  Not even the "wasp and bee" escaped your attention. Samuel Beckett would have a chuckle over the "relaxed senior" in the wheelchair who is actually Hamm in a Hollywood production of Endgame that the director asked me to photograph fifty years ago. Lazarus rises from the morgue. The absurdity of it all. It may have been a subconscious spin of the calligraphy wheel that ended up with big E, but I was thinking of CYCLE that ends with an E. Of course,  the contrarian I have been accused of impersonating reads counter clockwise. Perhaps its an homage to the Rauschenberg dyslexia that realizes comings and goings without privileging goings and comings. The photo morgue is a happy place where the theatre of images waits patiently for the next act.

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, christoph_d said:

And there we have it again, hidden in plain sight, the red right hand... the bicycle with its " ... microscopic cogs" ...  the headless person in the wheelchair drawing the attention, and part of the "catastrophic plan"?

Mysterious, machine like, a detailed view of classic Ferrari? 

I cannot applaud too enthusiastically for the concept of a "catastrophic plan with microscopic cogs!" And, you are absolutely right about the Beckett character Hamm in the wheelchair. I working on the umbra of catastrophe, slowly, hoping I don't there.

And how did you nail it? My vintage Ferrari, the one they didn't use in Miami Vice, sitting in my garage, just whispering, "I am ready for my close-up, C.B.!" FLASH CUT to REALITY. No Ferrari in this dream. Alas, only the red glass window of Long's Drugstore in Lihue, Kauai that I thought I would take for a spin around the block. Love the way you fantasize, Christoph!

5 hours ago, stray cat said:

This is interesting Philip, although I'm not quite sure what it is. Is it a lapidified cross-section of bone?

Or petrified wood? There must have been a forest here, somewhere.

5 hours ago, JMF said:

dans Paris by JM__, on Flickr

Ektachrome 100 - 40 Rokkor - Minolta CLE

This must have been the inspiration for Edward Albee's stage set for Zoo Story.

• Haha 2

Here's one from the "morgue":

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

brussels, belgium 1986

canon, fp4

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Developed the first roll exposed in my Kodak Duo 620. I had to re-roll the film on to the special 620 spools before, luckily I had two of these spools as I found an exposed film in the camera when being it in November last year. Some of you might remember the old rescued pictures I showed here before. I took the camera to Berlin and Austria, and the following picture is the best from this roll, imho:

Kodak Duo 620 - Ilford FP4+ 125 (dev. in Rodinal 1+50)

Edited by Sparkassenkunde
  • Like 17

Monumental Cemetery - Milano

Leica M6 - Summilux 50 Pre Asph.

Rollei RPX 100

• Like 19

4 hours ago, stray cat said:

brussels, belgium 1986

canon, fp4

My eyes keeps moving right left, left right - line and texture mainly, and the the bookend effect. A really nice graphic triptych Phil.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Untitled by JM__, on Flickr

Ektachrome 100 - Noctilux v3 - M3

Another sample from the Kodak Duo 620:

Kodak Duo 620 - Ilford FP4+ 125 (dev. in Rodinal 1+50)

• Like 19

vor 5 Stunden schrieb stray cat:

a geezer at giza, 1987

canon, fp4

Great and impressive portrait!!!

Am 6.3.2020 um 17:56 schrieb A miller:

Thanks, Marc and yes I think you have a calming and comforting effect on people.  We should go shooting together more often! :)

Yes Adam, this is one of my unseen super powers😉😉

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Inside Staten Island Ferry

(NYC)

Leica M7 * Voigtländer Norton 1.4/35 S. C. * Kodak TriX * Kodak HC 110 * Nikon Coolscan

• Like 15

Bike

(NYC * Times Square)

Leica M7 * Voigtländer Norton 1.4/35 S. C. * Kodak TriX * Kodak HC 110 * Nikon Coolscan

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Voice
M-A APO 50 Fuji Natura & Portra 400

Mondrian's whisper.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, stray cat said:

brussels, belgium 1986

canon, fp4

It's always a challenge to deconstruct the tyranny of the rectangle with diagonals. In cinema, it's the Dutch tilt, a series of cuts with opposing angles, tilted to the left one way, then to the right, for a disjointed, dramatic effect. The Third Man comes to mind. The play of light and dark, here, the fragmentation of geometric form, invites connecting the separate frames into a whole. The partial frames that bookend this composition underscore the sense of indeterminacy, the allusion to antecedent images (26A) out of frame, beginnings, and frames beyond 28A, endings. This is evidence of fragmentation theory expressed in photography. That the subject is a roadway or path is not lost, either, as well as the option of left-to-right of right-to-left reading. Even the "footnote" of 35mm film stock creates that conflict reminding us of the plural question; do we make a photograph or take a photograph? Is it even an either/or proposition?

Zoe Croggon does very creative work capitalizing on diagonals. Unfortunately, her book, Arc, is rare, but her website offers a glimpse of her collage work.

http://www.zoecroggon.com/

Edited by Ernest
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Leica M2 - 7Artisans 1,1/50 - FP4 in Microphen

• Like 15