I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Au Gaou by JM__, on Flickr

Ektachrome 100 - Noctilux v3 - M3

Prater Hasselblad HP5

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 17

What a nice coincidence this image and Phil's image just below end up on the same page. Both are truly mesmerising examples of great photography. I don't know what an acrylic lens is but it has resulted in one of the dreamiest photos I've ever seen. I really like PanF myself and it's perfect for an image like this.  

2 hours ago, J.Haarmann said:

Leica R4 - acrylic lens - PanF in Microphen

This is really good and had me look twice before I understood what I was seeing. All sorts of interpretations are possible, for instance the forces of good (the light-coloured tree) versus the forces of evil (the shadowy tree) striving upwards and struggling against each other for domination. Or perhaps it's just two trees lol. Still it is one of the best photos I've seen in a while.

9 hours ago, stray cat said:

Bright 1989

Nikon F801, Nikkor 24-50mm, Agfapan 25

Haha what an effect. Not even a Noctilux can burn through that :) 

6 hours ago, JMF said:

A wrinkled shutter curtain  ...

Untitled by JM__, on Flickr

Ektachrome 100 - M3 - Noctilux v3

Love them both. No idea what they show but both are really exciting. Well seen.

1 hour ago, Mark II said:

A couple of shots from Barcelona, after a quiet period thanks to more equipment problems. These were taken at the Llum festival in Sant Martí:

Both Leica M-A with 35mm Summilux ASPH with 400TX, rated at EI1600, and processed in XTOL stock.

What an excellent fairground abstract. Which developer did you use? The tones are really wonderful.

7 minutes ago, Rennrocky said:

Prater Hasselblad HP5

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A moment of reflection at the banks of the Miljacka river during the hot summer of 2001 in Sarajevo.

Flickr
EOS 1N 35-70mm APX400 X1
  • Like 14

vor 30 Minuten schrieb philipus:

What a nice coincidence this image and Phil's image just below end up on the same page. Both are truly mesmerising examples of great photography. I don't know what an acrylic lens is but it has resulted in one of the dreamiest photos I've ever seen. I really like PanF myself and it's perfect for an image like this.  

Thanks a lot, Philip,

the acrylic lens is a plastic lens like in a Holga. You are right, PanF is perfect for this🙂

Regards Jörg

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, stray cat said:

Bright 1989

Altocumulus, Buttermilk Sky, about 14,000 ft., and the tree branches in sunlight and shade, opposing each other,  reaching out--the stuff of poetry. It becomes even more mystical as a vertical, but that's just me, caught standing on my head.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, gbealnz said:

The Ektar red giving the shoe in?

Portra 400 loves red, too, even when pushed a stop :)

13 hours ago, stray cat said:

Bright 1989

Wow - EPIC, Phil 👌  Congrats - It is reinventable at every angle of gravity...

9 hours ago, benqui said:

Well Adam, I think you are number 23948 on his friend's list😉

LOL good one, Marc 🤣

• Like 2

Did somebody say that I wasn't stealth....? 😜

IIIg, 28mm summaron, Portra 400

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ernest said:

Altocumulus, Buttermilk Sky, about 14,000 ft., and the tree branches in sunlight and shade, opposing each other,  reaching out--the stuff of poetry. It becomes even more mystical as a vertical, but that's just me, caught standing on my head.

Thanks Rog (should I be writing this upside down so that you can read it, assuming you are still standing on your head?) and to everyone else who has been kind enough to comment on this picture (and others). I always did like this scene and, although I have it as a print (again, for verwackelt, on Record Rapid), I'd never flipped and flopped it to seriously consider other viewing possibilities. I guess once seen, that's how it stays, locked in the tyranny of your head. Although I was probably lying down to have noticed it anyway, to be honest. To me, what attracts me to it, is that in a small way it has some of the qualities of Australian aboriginal painting, and there is a sense of place, of connection to a place, to it. At least there is for me.

As an aside, I am not sure how this particular spot fared recently during the bushfires - the town of Bright was at least seriously threatened, and I no longer have any recollection how far out of town the spot I took this was. Still, we're heading up that way over the next couple of weeks (not to attend the Katy Perry bushfire benefit concert, although that is very nice of her) so I may try to ascertain if all is still well with these trees.

Edited by stray cat
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, A miller said:

Did somebody say that I wasn't stealth....? 😜

IIIg, 28mm summaron, Portra 400

Thank you for your kind comment, too, Adam, received as I was writing my last response. This is fantastic, especially as conveyed in the accompanying video with that delicious little Leica 'snick' indicating you pounced at the opportune - decisive, in terms of this encounter - moment. Hey, and who could ever accuse you of not being stealth? You are the Northrop Grumman B-2 Spirit of the New York streets!

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

7 hours ago, christoph_d said:

Which Film did you use? (This is the “I like film ...” thread after all :) )

Thanks for reminding me, Christoph.  FP4  box speed and DD-X 1:4.  M3 and 50mm DR.  Epson V600 scanner using Silverfast.  Speaking of which, I absolutely despise the software.  

Edited by RayD28
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, stray cat said:

the tyranny of your head

Love your poetry. The play of language for me wants to put "prison" on the flip side of that card: tyranny/prison. No escape, the sentence. The echo of Piranesi's lithographs of imaginary prisons and ruins brings us to Thomas Cole's The Course of Empire, a Baedeker of the sublime, re-visioned by Edward Ruscha, setting aside 26 Gas Stations, with his own Course of Empire, dissonant notes of dystopia. You see, the doors of your Buttermilk Sky in Bright open wide.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Ernest said:

Love your poetry. The play of language for me wants to put "prison" on the flip side of that card: tyranny/prison. No escape, the sentence. The echo of Piranesi's lithographs of imaginary prisons and ruins brings us to Thomas Cole's The Course of Empire, a Baedeker of the sublime, re-visioned by Edward Ruscha, setting aside 26 Gas Stations, with his own Course of Empire, dissonant notes of dystopia. You see, the doors of your Buttermilk Sky in Bright open wide.

I wish there was a Leica Forum appreciation emoji of a brain exploding.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Ernest said:

SoCal Danger Danger
M-A APO 50 & Thambar-M CS E100

I do really really appreciate that series of Thomas Cole's - The Course of Empire. It is, or should always remain, a constant reminder of how esoteric or tenuous "the present" circumstances are, no matter the era. And funny you should mention Ruscha, I've been exploring 26 Gasoline Stations in some depth over the past couple of days.

Meanwhile, there's danger afoot in Southern California. What the danger is, is not explained. It's an incipient danger, lurking on the threshold, one that we should be aware of, perhaps fearful of, even if we don't know the form it takes. This takes me back to the concert James and I attended last Saturday night - TOOL. The second song they played, Aenima, speaks to a certain er... rejection of the SoCal vibe (language warning if you look it up). As incredible as their graphics were (the guitarist and Tool's effects artist, Adam Jones, was formerly a sculptor and special effects designer in Hollywood who worked on Jurassic Park, Terminator 2, Dances With Wolves etc) they could have used this picture, Rog, which captures the lurking danger/fatalism presaged by the song. Strong, timely work.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, stray cat said:

Thank you for your kind comment, too, Adam, received as I was writing my last response. This is fantastic, especially as conveyed in the accompanying video with that delicious little Leica 'snick' indicating you pounced at the opportune - decisive, in terms of this encounter - moment. Hey, and who could ever accuse you of not being stealth? You are the Northrop Grumman B-2 Spirit of the New York streets!

ha ha...or King Kong 😜

1 hour ago, Ernest said:

SoCal Danger Danger
M-A APO 50 & Thambar-M CS E100

syringes!  💓

• Haha 2