Jump to content
Doc Henry

I like film...(open thread)

Recommended Posts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

13 minutes ago, nefarious said:

Thanks for taking the effort, Philip. It worked at the 2nd attempt, thankfully. Interestingly, the Instagram community also prefer the 2nd one too but I know that I can go back another day and easily take it again or do better - I think it needs a person in it. In contrast, what I love about the first is the character of the guy crossing the frame - he looks craggy and uncompromising; very evocative of the region. The most rewarding thing about street photography for me is finding strong, interesting characters...

That's interesting, Nefarious. I WAY prefer the first one, largely because it humanizes the cityscape in the way you've talked about above. I'm not sure social media "communities" are always the best way of evaluating your own photos. There is a reason that  you took (in this example) those two photos. The whole world may prefer one or the other but it is what YOU want to say that is important, because it's your work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, stray cat said:

That's interesting, Nefarious. I WAY prefer the first one, largely because it humanizes the cityscape in the way you've talked about above. I'm not sure social media "communities" are always the best way of evaluating your own photos. There is a reason that  you took (in this example) those two photos. The whole world may prefer one or the other but it is what YOU want to say that is important, because it's your work.

Thanks for the feedback - I suspect that Instagram likes the 2nd one because it is immediately impactful - the arch of the bridge almost looks like it's taken in a fisheye and frames what's inside so is easy on the eye. Some photographs are the result of great skill, meticulous planning and manipulation, whereas, for me at least, when somebody just walks through your field of view (yes, with a well chosen backdrop) and you manage, through luck or skill, to be able to capture something of their character, there's almost no better feeling 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, philipus said:

WOW look at those tones. Sublime. I don't know the PMK developer. Is it particularly fine-grained? This looks exceptionally clean and luscious.

Thanks a lot Philip. I like it very much and yes it does have a reputation for producing a great deal of detail, especially in the highlights. It is a staining developer and the stain is deposited in proportion to the amount of silver exposed on the negative. The stain has the effect of masking the silver grains by being deposited between them. One of the disadvantages of PMK and other developers with pyrogallol as the active ingredient, is that film speed is lost, particularly with higher iso film. Usually, it is recommended to shoot at half the box, so for Tri-x or HP5, shoot at 200. But for slower film the necessity in diminished, for example for FP4+ 125, you can shoot at 100 and for Delta 100, at 100. Also, acid solutions should not be used post-development. So you should not use an acidic stop bath as some people do, just water. An alkaline fixer is also recommended. I use Ilford rapid fix which is slightly acidic, but ok.

There's a good article on PMK and other pyro developers here: https://sandykingphotography.com/resources/technical-writing/pyro-staining-developers

Also on Flickr, the user radspix knows a lot about PMK. A nice fellow. I started using PMK after talking with him.

Edit: another advantage is its long shelf life, kept as it is in two separate solutions. It's extremely concentrated and economical. I use pipettes with a cheap pipette filler (plastic device with a thumb roller) to draw up the solutions. And dedicate one pipette for each solution to avoid risk of contamination.

Edited by Xícara de Café

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Keith (M) said:

Have been somewhat digitally-distracted of late due to the arrival of (dare I admit this to this forum?) an M10M.  So much good work has been posted since I last browsed here!

Just received this morning scans from a (new to me) Lab - SilverPan Film Lab (based in Bristol).  Below is one result from last month's roll of Portra 400 taken in Lacock Abbey grounds with my H503CX.  

St Cyriac's church viewed from Lacock Abbey grounds.  (click to view in LightBox).

That’s just beautiful, Keith, and surprisingly detailed and nuanced in colour for a lab scan. I’ve seen a few of your monochrome shots and it is blindingly obvious that you’re enjoying the new arrival. It will be interesting to see how you go using film and digital, considering you’re getting stellar results from both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Xícara de Café said:

Thanks a lot Philip. I like it very much and yes it does have a reputation for producing a great deal of detail, especially in the highlights. It is a staining developer and the stain is deposited in proportion to the amount of silver exposed on the negative. The stain has the effect of masking the silver grains by being deposited between them. One of the disadvantages of PMK and other developers with pyrogallol as the active ingredient, is that film speed is lost, particularly with higher iso film. Usually, it is recommended to shoot at half the box, so for Tri-x or HP5, shoot at 200. But for slower film the necessity in diminished, for example for FP4+ 125, you can shoot at 100 and for Delta 100, at 100. Also, acid solutions should not be used post-development. So you should not use an acidic stop bath as some people do, just water. An alkaline fixer is also recommended. I use Ilford rapid fix which is slightly acidic, but ok.

There's a good article on PMK and other pyro developers here: https://sandykingphotography.com/resources/technical-writing/pyro-staining-developers

Also on Flickr, the user radspix knows a lot about PMK. A nice fellow. I started using PMK after talking with him.

Edit: another advantage is its long shelf life, kept as it is in two separate solutions. It's extremely concentrated and economical. I use pipettes with a cheap pipette filler (plastic device with a thumb roller) to draw up the solutions. And dedicate one pipette for each solution to avoid risk of contamination.

Thanks for your explanation. I understand your fascination with this type of developer, having used Moersch Tanol and Finol for a few years. Indeed, grain and detail are both excellent. I did stop using these developers as the stain had a (brownish) colour cast that influenced the density meter for my enlarger, particularly as the colour cast was not uniformly predictable. Do you have a similar cast with your developer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 minutes ago, christoph_d said:

Thanks for your explanation. I understand your fascination with this type of developer, having used Moersch Tanol and Finol for a few years. Indeed, grain and detail are both excellent. I did stop using these developers as the stain had a (brownish) colour cast that influenced the density meter for my enlarger, particularly as the colour cast was not uniformly predictable. Do you have a similar cast with your developer?

Hi Christoph. Yes, a brown-green cast. I do make prints too but I'm a real novice at it and haven't done much printing since making the switch to PMK. I don't use a density meter. I have seen some articles and threads about printing with PMK negs. I don't remember much about them, but I remember that some people mentioning both advantages and disadvantages in relation to multi-grade and split-grade printing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, stray cat said:

That’s just beautiful, Keith, and surprisingly detailed and nuanced in colour for a lab scan. I’ve seen a few of your monochrome shots and it is blindingly obvious that you’re enjoying the new arrival. It will be interesting to see how you go using film and digital, considering you’re getting stellar results from both.

Thanks Phil, appreciated.  As to a balance between the M10 Monochrom and film use (M7, MP, R5) my thought currently are to maybe sell the MP (silver chrome a-la-carte with 0.58 VF and black saddle leather), retaining the others for colour film.  B&w film use will be with my H503CX  - indeed I recently added to my film stock with a delivery of ten rolls each of FP4+ and HP5+.  Decisions, decisions... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, philipus said:

Speaking of skiing, here's one from last year's adventures :D 


Flickr
80 Planar+32E Ektar X1

ha ha, love, Philip.  Did you use the PC Mutar for this 😂

 

4 hours ago, mdp said:

The bottom rail

MP Summicron 50/2 Delta 400 DDX

 

Adorable !! 

50 minutes ago, Keith (M) said:

A second frame from H503CX & Portra 400 (as per #67244).

 

wow, I am floored by this, Keith - bravo!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Keith (M) said:

A second frame from H503CX & Portra 400 (as per #67244).

Stunning detail and colours... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, A miller said:

Believe it or not, I am still scanning my lot from last summer.  I was somewhat obsessed with seascapes, particularly this pier of boulders.  Here's one from one of numerous sunrises that I shot from that place.

Sunrise, South Tel Aviv

Ektar, Technorama 617siii, 90mm super angulon XL

 

Otherworldly, so which planet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Ernest said:

Eucalyptus Pedestrian
Rollei 35S Portra 400

 

wow, really great, Rog.  One of my favs.  The lines and colors and framing within a frame of the tree in the top left are amazing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slightly off topic - does anyone have a good way of posting on here direct from Lightroom?? I have been posting from Flickr but, now that I'm using LR, would be nice to post straight from there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yah - I remember years ago over on photo.net, someone was sure there was a problem with his film emulsion, because it had lots of little white specks all over it. Turned out he had used flash at dusk - and captured a host of close-in insects and drifting plant seeds as "white speckles."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue., Read more about our Privacy Policy