I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

First results from my Bronica rf645. I have to say it's a joy to use...

In Portra 400 and Ilford Ortho Plus 80, respectively

• Like 18

Flashback - April 2019:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

M3 - Cron 50 DR - Agfa CT 100 Precisa

• Like 12
  • Haha 6

18 hours ago, Ernest said:

Who said photography can't be poetry, perhaps a song, like Phil has called up from the depths of the Britannica on his shoulders? I called up YouTube and watched Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds--where Phil comes up with these so obscure references is a thankful mystery: "On a gathering storm comes/A tall handsome man/In a dusty black coat with/A red right hand." The power of juxtaposition, indeed. Almost daily, I walk past the children's craft building on the edge of the lagoon where I live, and on the wall are the tiles decorated and signed by the children. It is easy to hear these tiles whisper, "Take my picture, take my picture." I succumb. My, how the diptych construction veered into real estate that was a little more than "heavy handed." Thank you, Christoph, I suspect that even Peter Lorre would be reluctant to appear. So, I have decided to take another run at it, this time "cutting off the hand." Where's David Lynch? The less said, the better. Try and let the colors work on their own. I keep telling myself. Simplify, stupid. So, here goes, again.

Matters V
M-A APO 50 ADOX Color Implosion

Rog, in comparison to your red hand it strikes me how much more the eye is drawn to human shapes, and how much more stories come to mind...

On 2/20/2020 at 7:01 AM, AntonioF said:

I tried some Kodak 2238 @ 25 iso. Honestly only a few frames came out decent.

This was taken at a little creek that runs through a polluted industrial area and goes to the sea. Some crazy locals think the creek's super cold water has some kind of power, so they set up a few Virgin Mary's figures all over the place and they go and bathe to refresh and heal. Almost voodoo/santeria ...

Leica M6, Summicron 35 asph, Kodak 2238@25

It looks intriguing. Mary behind the fence, Mary on the rocks...

On 2/20/2020 at 10:47 AM, mdp said:

Analogue coffee..

M2 Delta 400 Nokton 50/1.2 DDX

Beautiful tonality. Perhaps a touch more light on the beans...

On 2/20/2020 at 7:38 PM, Bateleur said:

I heard the Owl call my Name.

Leica M6 - 50mm Summicron - Ilford HP5 - Scan of the print.

Charles, superb ... and a book I like a lot.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 15 Stunden schrieb christoph_d:

Rog, 

I strongly suspect the “Wetzlar Crew” are working on the opposite: the subtext is the starting point.

Christoph, I´m not sure if "subtext" could be substituted with meta or even less pretentious "meaning" --if that is the case, then we are down to the basic problem of communication- the sender-- receiver interaction ,  the tools applied and if the signal intended---here: the subtext -- is transmitted.  In our case the photographic tools  sometimes behave as intended, sometimes not... and then the receiver: if I have a short glimpse at the thoughts of --say #stray cat or #Rog with their encyclopedic  knowledge of photographic history, pop history, art in general and and... added the cultural trenches to many sides, then the interference of the " Wetzlar guys" --don´t even think of the Tokyo guys-- who try to get into the photographers head and tele control what these  do seems manageable  to me...  I forgot who said (😟) : there is nothing worse than a sharp picture of a blurry idea.... So let's work on the idea and deal with the technical stuff anyway-- it is fun after all... ( don't know if that got through... ) 

K.

• Haha 3

vor 5 Stunden schrieb christoph_d:

The old man and the sea.

MP, 50, Portra160

Christoph, perfect composition, beautiful colors... subtext: life is great ! 

vor 3 Stunden schrieb 3oob:

Fontainebleau: Rollei 35s

Guy looks hungry !!  nice framing. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, christoph_d said:

Rog, in comparison to your red hand it strikes me how much more the eye is drawn to human shapes, and how much more stories come to mind...

Thanks, Christoph. It is often challenging to "relate" to the abstract construction, since it becomes an issue of scale and point of view. I find myself balancing on a tightrope between representational form and the more abstract. I just received Francois Halard's book, which is a "portrait" of Saul Leiter's empty and disheveled New York apartment, which by extension is a portrait of Leiter himself. Halard also included in some of the shots Leiter's photographs laying on a table or chair, and looking at Halard's work, one can imagine, as you say, the "stories (that) come to mind."

• Thanks 2

Background Notes Horizon II
M-A APO 50 Fuji Natura & E100

• Like 15

36 minutes ago, Kl@usW. said:

there is nothing worse than a sharp picture of a blurry idea

Aha! Good one! Now to work on a blurry picture of a sharp idea. Uta Barth received a $500,000 MacArthur Fellowship 2012 for her abstract photography. For other photographers "on the blur," see Unscharf. nach Gerhard Richter. Amazon has a stratospheric price for those who are into space travel, while ABE has a couple for about $150 US.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/20/2020 at 11:10 PM, Ernest said:

Matters

kind of spooky and eerie, Rog, until I started trying to figure out whose grade school art project the red hand print might of been - that brought me back to reality :)

22 hours ago, Ernest said:

Yes, the concentric, "simplified" squares of the ground imply ritual, real or imagined, and never ending. Resorting to the sensory and sidestepping language, it's that sinking feeling in the stomach.

Nick Cave, obscure? Silly me! He's on a 2020 tour appearing at Staples here in L.A. Wow, am I clueless or what? The "Stagger Lee" video is a color music video, as opposed to the complex narrative "underground" video of "Red Right Hand" in black and white. Both, very interesting and creative in a kind of David Lynch patina. The color palette of "Stagger Lee" calls to mind Blue Velvet; color is not incidental but front and center, stylistically. Lime green, pink (not quite Pepto Bismal), cobalt and cerulean blue, splashed cad red and yellow, sap green, and Mars black, of course. Yes, I watched it twice, including the apocalyptic finale. "Red Right Hand" is very layered with imagery, much more complex than "Stagger Lee." Thanks, Phil, for opening this for discussion.

I echo everything you said about "In the Hotel" and "Event." So very cinematic. Dare I use the term "Antonioni Effect?" The two provocative photographs, or should I say evidence?, are full of life, suggested and stated, simultaneously. It's the elevator door "In the Hotel." No guessing who will emerge. I am entranced by elevator doors. And "Event" is so layered with so many people in the middle of nowhere, and the only face we see is that woman. Out of all those people, like a David Lean film, there is that one face that has the story.

Here's an elevator door from last month.

Third Floor

love those earth tones 

6 hours ago, 3oob said:

Fontainebleau: Rollei 35s

Wow, this is AMAZING.  The composition is arresting and the mood and rendition is very lovely.  Congrats!! 

1 hour ago, Kl@usW. said:

Munich, shadow on the wall of the new synagogue. 

MP, since tools matter:  black paint, SCron 28, Delta 100, Adox Atomal 49

I like it, Klaus.  Reminds me of a Lebanese cedar tree, which synagogues often have as decor.

• Thanks 1

Nickel Ride
M-A APO 50 & Thambar-M CS ADOX Color Implosion & E100

• Like 17

Sometimes I wish I'd taken a roll of colour film instead.

SL with XP2

• Like 18