I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

from the same roll. same SL same old guy. this was shot at sunset almost in the dark, film has an amazing range and sensitivity. Just beefed up the colors and contrast in LR.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 15

Am 18.2.2020 um 04:01 schrieb A miller:

Yesterday's project: a NINE 6x17-frame stitch of a very cool bridge on the east side.

Tmax 400 developed in XTOL and scanning now....😅

Finger's crossed!

Can I still join the chorus of admirers ? Of course this cries out for stitching--but I'm confident this "making of " might be the beginning of a whole new experience... don't mention  the coffee to go...🙄

Am 18.2.2020 um 11:09 schrieb Keith (M):

Two more from last month's visit to the National Trust's Lacock Abbey.  H503CX, Planar 80mm, Portra 400, SilverPan Film Lab.

Click to view in LightBox.

Interior View

The 500 year-old cauldron in the Warming Room

Keith I love both the descriptive value and the rich detail of your pictures--and I like the tour d ´horizon in your backyard..

Am 19.2.2020 um 05:01 schrieb Ernest:

Two Lane
M-A APO 50 ADOX Color Implosion & Fuji Natura

Rog, you did it again--after coming back to your new fields for several times, I'm still grappling for words to hail the joy they give..it´s --I do agree--only colors, but they trigger more associations than a lot of the pictorial stuff--my own including. For sure you are right when you say: Color fields are dream fields..and: not only for the creating artist,  but also for the contemplator. 

Am 19.2.2020 um 09:14 schrieb Xícara de Café:

Contax IIa, Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 5cm 1:2 collapsible, Ilford FP4+ 125 @ 100, PMK 1:2:100 8" 30' 24ºC.

nice work, Xicara. The frog didn't show up ? 

I still remember when I saw Victoria amazonica for the first time: It was in the botanical garden of the University of Bonn, me hanging on to the hem of my mothers skirt at the age of 5. I'm not sure about my memory: but I see a little frog sitting on one of the leaves..

Am 19.2.2020 um 20:18 schrieb verwackelt:

That is a brilliant and rich greyscale. Not such a muddy one that the digital monochrome delivers out of the box…

Thank you verwackelt ! I do both digital and film--using the Hasselblad and the Film Leica for my personal pleasure. The complex mechanical perfection in both systems is something  I just love. Since I don't have to make a living out of photography, I feel kind of lucky to be able to  indulge into this anachronistic pleasure....but if looking  at the digital Leica  threads, I'm sometimes amazed of the quality these cameras are able to produce.  Nonetheless, I'm about to sell my M240--it just doesn't give me the pleasure of the MP, the M7 and the M2....

Am 19.2.2020 um 20:42 schrieb Keith (M):

Marvellous sense of 'being there'! The wonderful tones and composition combine to give a great sense of depth to the image.

Thank you Keith ! 

Am 19.2.2020 um 21:32 schrieb Sparkassenkunde:

Awesome tonality and wonderful landscape!

James, as you are a like minded snow-lover, thank you!  If you think of going to the Tatras, be informed: there are few lifts... the mountains are steep and the beer in the mountain huts is treacherously quaffable...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

Portra 160, 21mm, no vignetting applied just how it came out

Edited by hillavoider
  • Like 16

portra 160

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

portra 160

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

On 2/18/2020 at 5:01 AM, Keith (M) said:

Amazing in concept and execution Adam - look forward to seeing the fruits of your efforts.

Thanks, Keith.  :)

On 2/18/2020 at 5:09 AM, Keith (M) said:

Two more from last month's visit to the National Trust's Lacock Abbey.  H503CX, Planar 80mm, Portra 400, SilverPan Film Lab.

Click to view in LightBox.

Interior View

The 500 year-old cauldron in the Warming Room

really great colors and contrast, Keith.  Bravo.  You are killing it with the color lately

On 2/18/2020 at 5:13 AM, frame-it said:

this image looks supercool already

Thanks very much!

On 2/18/2020 at 11:17 AM, Steve Ricoh said:

Fingers crossed for what? Looks good as it is! Leave it, apart from a touch of micro contrast.

LOL - sometimes the "making of" is more interesting than the actual resulting photo.  Could be the case here, we shall see!

On 2/18/2020 at 5:41 PM, Kl@usW. said:

High Tatras 

M2, Summaron 2,8/35, Yellow, HP5,  XTOL

Love it, Klaus.  I wish we could have that much snow in NYC!

On 2/19/2020 at 3:14 AM, Xícara de Café said:

Contax IIa, Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 5cm 1:2 collapsible, Ilford FP4+ 125 @ 100, PMK 1:2:100 8" 30' 24ºC.

Really great - congrats!

On 2/19/2020 at 12:20 PM, Kl@usW. said:

Tracks.

Being the photographer of the group means: you are always the last, you have always to catch up and in the evening everybody is showing the mobile phone pics around...But the advantage of the SWC is: the battery will last forever ! 🙄

SWC, Yellow, HP5, XTOL

Wow, this is a stunner, Klaus.  Shooting snow like this is more challenging that it looks and you have done a masterful job of handling the highlights while still getting good detail in the shadows 

On 2/19/2020 at 5:06 PM, Ouroboros said:

Sahara Desert.

Leica MP

50mm elmar-m f2.8

Ektar

good one, Steve.

On 2/19/2020 at 5:45 PM, benqui said:

Wow, what a stunning shot Adam!

Ha, Ha, it looks like a train is coming from behind!

Thanks X 2, Marc 😍

17 hours ago, Xícara de Café said:

very lovely

7 hours ago, Bateleur said:

I heard the Owl call my Name.

Leica M6 - 50mm Summicron - Ilford HP5 - Scan of the print.

Love it, Charles.  Great mood and storyline.

3 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

Can I still join the chorus of admirers ? Of course this cries out for stitching--but I'm confident this "making of " might be the beginning of a whole new experience... don't mention  the coffee to go...🙄

Thanks, Klaus.  I am having fun with the "making of"s - I think I need a Youube channel :)  Here's a short video of the scene that I made while shooting it

2 hours ago, hillavoider said:

Portra 160, 21mm, no vignetting applied just how it came out

love it - very moody and cinematic 👌

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Ernest said:

Matters
M-A APO 50 ADOX Color Implosion

Easy to find a soundtrack to this, Rog: "Red Right Hand" by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. What looks here to be a  child's kindergarten handprint subverted into a gruesome discovery in a dark, hard exterior like a laneway. The power of juxtaposition!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, A miller said:

Here is a draft of the stitch.  I am still noodling....and of course plotting out the "making of" a color version with Ektar 😉

Tmax 400, Technorama 617siii, 90mm Super Angulon XL

Total file size is 2.75GB 👌

As brilliant as this is, Adam - I kind of like the "director's cut". The assembling of those bits of film speaks to not only the subject, but to the process. But - don't get me wrong - this is good - very very good.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Tübingen Nymphen Leica II CV 3.5 28 mm Kodak Portra 400

• Like 16

4 hours ago, A miller said:

Here is a draft of the stitch.  I am still noodling....and of course plotting out the "making of" a color version with Ektar 😉

Tmax 400, Technorama 617siii, 90mm Super Angulon XL

Total file size is 2.75GB 👌

Forgive me, I think of engineers slaving over slide rules and log tables designing this structure and in whatever form this photo is realized it will be a tribute to their work. (And yours!)

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

nice work, Xicara. The frog didn't show up ? 

I still remember when I saw Victoria amazonica for the first time: It was in the botanical garden of the University of Bonn, me hanging on to the hem of my mothers skirt at the age of 5. I'm not sure about my memory: but I see a little frog sitting on one of the leaves.

Thanks Kl@us. There really was a frog there but by the time I'd extended the collapsible lens, calculated the exposure with my phone and focussed the rangefinder, he'd hopped off. 🙂

• Like 2

Contax IIa, Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 5cm 1:2 collapsible, Ilford FP4+ 125 @ 100, PMK 1:2:100 8"30' 24ºC.

• Like 15

Work in progress

Leica M7 * Voigtländer Nokton 1.4/35 * Kodak TriX * Kodak HC 110 * Nikon Coolscan V ED

• Like 18
  • Haha 1