Doc Henry

I like film...(open thread)

11 hours ago, Norman Peritore said:

Thanks for your remark about the colors, i have to admit guiltily that i goosed them up a bit in LR. Is that bad practice for a film photographer? Im going to print them up and see if the color holds up or looks artificial in large scale. How do you guys print? What textures and levels of gloss and paper colors do you use. (Digital printing, no room for a real  lab in my apartment).

Thanks Norman. I personally don’t think any processing that gets you the picture you want is bad practice. It may or may not end up being a close facsimile of what you saw when you took it, but its future is in the photographer’s hands - if it is more desirable to tweak things one way or another, then what’s wrong with that? And of course you can always re-scan and re-edit as much as you want. As for digital printing, I’m happy with Canson papers, and Platine is my go-to. Some pictures look great on textured and/or matt papers like Aquarelle or BFK Rives, too, so it’s really horses for courses.

Thank you, too, along with Jean-Marc and Xicara for your interesting discussion about photography in Brazil. It sounds as though there’s quite a lot to consider when stepping out to photograph. By the look of the pictures you’re all producing, though, a vastly stimulating and worthwhile exercise. Just please take care, all of you!

16 hours ago, benqui said:

You know this expression Adam! We were talking about different tax laws in the US and Europe😉

Ha ha, yes she looks very engaged :)

12 hours ago, Norman Peritore said:

Thanks for your remark about the colors, i have to admit guiltily that i goosed them up a bit in LR. Is that bad practice for a film photographer? Im going to print them up and see if the color holds up or looks artificial in large scale. How do you guys print? What textures and levels of gloss and paper colors do you use. (Digital printing, no room for a real  lab in my apartment).

My paper of choice of color prints is the Fuji Flex high gloss paper.  I have a description of it on my website.  I face mount it on plexiglass.  I use Whitewall in Germany for the printing and local labs (in NY and Europe) for the mounting.

11 hours ago, Xícara de Café said:

Hi Patrick, my wife is Brazilian and wouldn't let me anywhere near a favela! I see JMF, another gringo here I believe, seems also a little more free in this regard :-). But by the way, did you see that a French photographer was stabbed with a broken bottle on the Copacabana promenade yesterday or the day before by two 14 year olds? He wasn't actually taking photos at the time, or it wasn't reported.

The last black and white of the temple? It was 11"45' I think. The dev chart recommended 13" at 20 degrees but it was a particularly hot morning and the best temperature my water filter would give was 21 or 22, so I cut the time a bit. Cheers,

Interesting you mention the favela.  I just helped an Israeli friend of mine write responses to an interview that was published a couple of weeks ago on the LFI blog.  He occasionally goes to Rio on business and a few months ago stayed a couple of extra days and toured the favela with his M2.  His english is pretty broken and so I had to get into his head to write what he really was meaning to say.  So as such I had an occasion to visualize how it is there.  Bottom line - I wouldn't go near there!

https://lfi-online.de/ceemes/en/blog/lfi-gallery-photographer-assaf-gavra-2074.html

10 hours ago, JMF said:

Hello there,

I live in Rio de Janeiro but do not stroll in Copacabana with a camera ! 

I shot the above photo in 2014 , a few months before the Football World Cup, during a workshop - part of a photography course attended by the local kids  at the City of God - run by  pro photographer Christophe Simon .

Another friend shot this video about it:

Best regards, Jean-Marc.

awesome!

Wow Xicara, what a wonderful project, these kids have such a fresh view, and they are reinventing many of the classical photos. I think we over study sometimes,and lose the freshness. Like Picasso said, he spent his whole life trying to paint like a child. Im sorry about the assault, I hope there arent any long lasting effects. The nasty parts of Brazil have the best photos, and often the nicest people, its the odd criminal that makes for the risk.

13 hours ago, JMF said:

Hello there,

I live in Rio de Janeiro but do not stroll in Copacabana with a camera ! 

I shot the above photo in 2014 , a few months before the Football World Cup, during a workshop - part of a photography course attended by the local kids  at the City of God - run by  pro photographer Christophe Simon .

Another friend shot this video about it:

Best regards, Jean-Marc.

What a delightful little movie! Thank you Jean-Marc.

Terrific Rog, one I could stare at for ages. I mean, what is the meaning of that hinge? And the yellow line? Go play on the yellow line, angel face. Which movie is that from? I've forgotten. But the line is there so there's fun to be had, and danger, going straight through that bright red field, screaming don't go, don't go. And the selective focus on the blue, what's that about? My eyes try and try again (as Mr Wint said) to see the detail, but fail.

See, good art asks questions and there are questions aplenty here. Fantastic.

On 2/11/2020 at 7:14 PM, Ernest said:

Primary Hinge Diptych
M-A APO 50 Fuji Natura & Rolleiflex 2.8F E100

Wonderful, from the light to the exposure to the perfect composition.

On 2/11/2020 at 7:36 PM, S/W said:

New York City Subway

Leica M7 * Voigtländer VC 1.4/35 * Kodak TriX * Kodak HC 110 * Nikon Coolscan V ED

And on the same page as Rog's Hinge above, this shows up. What are the odds? It's almost like a real-life interpretation of Hinge. Not that it answers any of the questions, of course. It just poses more. Are there two lines that were just hidden, one behind the other before? And is that Angel Face playing on yet a third line? I am without clues, but I like it. 

On 2/11/2020 at 8:59 PM, J.Haarmann said:

Leica IIIf - Elmar 3,5/50 - Portra160

Really nice Marc. Makes me wonder how their respective days have been. I have never been to India but I understand it is very colourful. The black and white conversion works really well here to focus on the two gentlemen.

On 2/12/2020 at 12:22 AM, benqui said:

New Dehli,

M6, 1.4/35 pre asph, Portra 400 converted into b/w

Snow! Love it, and what natural colour. Great stuff Steve.

On 2/12/2020 at 3:53 AM, sblitz said:

Ektachrome 120 Fuji645 60mm Ludlow VT

Thanks for pointing to Schels, Klaus. I had never heard of him. Wow he's done some really excellent work. And exceptionally moving work too. The Life before death series really touches. 

10 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

Shoebox, 1999, Making of... Walter Schels -the teacher of a Hasselblad workshop on " People and Portrait " -is coaching one of his pupils and acts as a model . I had the privilege of attending several of his workshops;  he is not only an excellent photographer--have a look at his books-- but also the most gentle, friendly and unvain person I got to know in his field. And last not least- a great storyteller..The one yarn I liked most is the story of how he made the Dalai Lama NOT smile for the portrait..... 

HB 205, Planar 80 open, Fuji Provia 

Wonderfully executed, Jörg.

9 hours ago, J.Haarmann said:

Leica M2 - Summicron 2/35 - FP4 - Microphen

At first I didn't see the figures, and now I can't imagine the image without them. Excellent.

9 hours ago, fotomas said:

M6, 35 CronASPH1, ADOX CHS 50, Homebrew

Haha just at the right moment, with the ball in the air. I love beach silhouettes like this.

4 hours ago, A miller said:

More from Tel Aviv in pano.

Tri-X, Technorama 617siii, 90mm super angulon XL

Thanks for the walk Jean-Marc. Very enjoyable.

4 hours ago, JMF said:

Thanks Adam !

On my own, I would not go take pictures in Rocinha . Living half a mile down the hill from Rocinha,  at times,  I still hear heavy gunshots ...

I guess the less you know  the more daring you get .

I do venture into the calmer nearby Vidigal !

Vidigal by JM__, on Flickr

Vidigal by JM__, on Flickr

^^ Ricoh GR21 Portra 160

Rua, Vidigal, Rio de Janeiro. by JM__, on Flickr

^ Ricoh GR1V - Ilford 3200

and up the hill:

Rocinha by JM__, on Flickr

^ Ilford 50 - GR1V

Rio de Janeiro by JM__, on Flickr

^ Xpan - 45mm - TriX

Best regards, JM.

About that line, again. At the Mauritshuis they even add footsteps to make it easier to follow. This lady member of the Fedora Society clearly has no problems doing so :D 

Flickr
M4 50/2 XP2 HC-110(E) Coolscan 9000

3 hours ago, philipus said:

About that line, again. At the Mauritshuis they even add footsteps to make it easier to follow. This lady member of the Fedora Society clearly has no problems doing so :D 

Flickr
M4 50/2 XP2 HC-110(E) Coolscan 9000

Super 🙌🏾