I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

21 minutes ago, A miller said:

Believe it or not, I am still scanning my lot from last summer.  I was somewhat obsessed with seascapes, particularly this pier of boulders.  Here's one from one of numerous sunrises that I shot from that place.

Sunrise, South Tel Aviv

Ektar, Technorama 617siii, 90mm super angulon XL

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Otherworldly, so which planet?

• Haha 2

Yah - I remember years ago over on photo.net, someone was sure there was a problem with his film emulsion, because it had lots of little white specks all over it. Turned out he had used flash at dusk - and captured a host of close-in insects and drifting plant seeds as "white speckles."

• Haha 6

Thank you very much for all this info. Another developer added to the list of developers to try :) 

11 hours ago, Xícara de Café said:

Thanks a lot Philip. I like it very much and yes it does have a reputation for producing a great deal of detail, especially in the highlights. It is a staining developer and the stain is deposited in proportion to the amount of silver exposed on the negative. The stain has the effect of masking the silver grains by being deposited between them. One of the disadvantages of PMK and other developers with pyrogallol as the active ingredient, is that film speed is lost, particularly with higher iso film. Usually, it is recommended to shoot at half the box, so for Tri-x or HP5, shoot at 200. But for slower film the necessity in diminished, for example for FP4+ 125, you can shoot at 100 and for Delta 100, at 100. Also, acid solutions should not be used post-development. So you should not use an acidic stop bath as some people do, just water. An alkaline fixer is also recommended. I use Ilford rapid fix which is slightly acidic, but ok.

There's a good article on PMK and other pyro developers here: https://sandykingphotography.com/resources/technical-writing/pyro-staining-developers

Also on Flickr, the user radspix knows a lot about PMK. A nice fellow. I started using PMK after talking with him.

Edit: another advantage is its long shelf life, kept as it is in two separate solutions. It's extremely concentrated and economical. I use pipettes with a cheap pipette filler (plastic device with a thumb roller) to draw up the solutions. And dedicate one pipette for each solution to avoid risk of contamination.

Haha love it. Good thing that rail is there so the puppy can hang out with the cool kids.

7 hours ago, mdp said:

The bottom rail

MP Summicron 50/2 Delta 400 DDX

Wow, really nice Keith. Love the detail and the natural colour.

4 hours ago, Keith (M) said:

A second frame from H503CX & Portra 400 (as per #67244).

Haha, yes definitely.

3 hours ago, A miller said:

ha ha, love, Philip.  Did you use the PC Mutar for this 😂

I'm happy to see I'm not the only one who's behind. Just the other day I scanned my last pending roll but now I have something like fifty rolls to post-process. But I like this slowness because I have a poor memory so I'm always pleasantly surprised when I see what I photographed :D 

Sublime shot Adam, just sterling.

3 hours ago, A miller said:

Believe it or not, I am still scanning my lot from last summer.  I was somewhat obsessed with seascapes, particularly this pier of boulders.  Here's one from one of numerous sunrises that I shot from that place.

Sunrise, South Tel Aviv

Really like this one Rog, what a capable camera that 35S is.

3 hours ago, Ernest said:

Eucalyptus Pedestrian
Rollei 35S Portra 400

Haha this turned out really nicely I think

1 hour ago, Sparkassenkunde said:

Surrealistic scene (this happens, if you rely on the automatic function and the flash light of your camera a bit too much...)

Ricoh GR1 - Tri-X

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

After ski

Flickr
Same as earlier
  • Like 14
  • Haha 5

Am 15.2.2020 um 19:54 schrieb benqui:

Tmax 3200 (Iso 1600), M4, APO 50, X-Tol (1:1)Negative Lab Pro; now I think that I have found my fav combination with a Macro Adapter on a Apo 90 to convert the negatives into digital images: very pragmatic, fast and I like the results

Looks good, Marc. 

vor 18 Stunden schrieb Ernest:

History Lessons
M-A APO 50 Fuji Natura & JCH StreetPan 400

Very strong combination of colors, the bold red starting with a  fanfare at the beginning, but the end is crumbling.. ..respice finem.. is that the lesson ?  For sure, an easy understandable  lesson might be: red and black go together well.. 

vor 6 Stunden schrieb Keith (M):

A second frame from H503CX & Portra 400 (as per #67244).

very nice composition, Keith. And I can relate to that fascination for trees-even fallen trees. 

vor 5 Stunden schrieb A miller:

Sunrise, South Tel Aviv

Adam, that's an unusual calm color palette you captured here. I like it, very calm.. and a nice distribution of planes and shapes. 

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Ernest:

Eucalyptus Pedestrian
Rollei 35S Portra 400

Wow Rog, that's fantastic. 

vor einer Stunde schrieb philipus:

After ski

Flickr
Same as earlier

Happy playtime ! I like it. And an interesting lighting here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Wake
M-A APO 50 & Thambar-M + Rolleiflex 2.8F

• Like 12

3 hours ago, philipus said:

Really like this one Rog, what a capable camera that 35S is

1 hour ago, Kl@usW. said:

Very strong combination of colors, the bold red starting with a  fanfare at the beginning, but the end is crumbling.. ..respice finem.. is that the lesson ?  For sure, an easy understandable  lesson might be: red and black go together well.. 

Thanks for tipping the hat to Rollei 35S, handy snap-shooter. History Lessons startles me more than I want to admit, that chasm of noir unknown and the smudged entry, passengers' transit. It doesn't always end well, but I just keep reciting to myself, "They are only colors." The red and the black with the accent of dirt and the gray cement. Trying to wake up, so see my Wake. It's the three chairs obscured behind the glass. The colors are so opaque contrasted against the translucent chamber of chairs.

Love it when you send me to the dictionary--respice finem--calls to mind Alciatti's emblems. "Look to the end; consider the final outcome."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, philipus said:

I'm happy to see I'm not the only one who's behind. Just the other day I scanned my last pending roll but now I have something like fifty rolls to post-process. But I like this slowness because I have a poor memory so I'm always pleasantly surprised when I see what I photographed :D 

Sublime shot Adam, just sterling.

4 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

Adam, that's an unusual calm color palette you captured here. I like it, very calm.. and a nice distribution of planes and shapes. 

Many thanks, Philip and Klaus. 

2 hours ago, Ernest said:

Wake
M-A APO 50 & Thambar-M + Rolleiflex 2.8F

Very interesting, Rog.  At first glance I thought the title was "woke" and I said 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, A miller said:

Yesterday's project: a NINE 6x17-frame stitch of a very cool bridge on the east side.

Tmax 400 developed in XTOL and scanning now....😅

Finger's crossed!

Incredible! This in itself is totally energized. The evidence of the photograph, future perfect.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ernest said:

Incredible! This in itself is totally energized. The evidence of the photograph, future perfect.

ha ha, well let's see.  One thing is for sure, I couldn't have done it without the triple grande cappuccino sitting in the left corner (which will be part of the crop once I get my hands on the combined stitch) :)

Edited by A miller
  • Haha 2