Jump to content

I like film...(open thread)


Doc Henry

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 79.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Doc Henry

    13203

  • philipus

    2941

  • A miller

    6032

  • Wayne

    2672

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cyril Jayant

This photo is from a series from some of my crazy, extreme photo adventures I  had photographing Mountains "Alpinists " and rock climbers. This is Alpes mountain range which is called   "Le Massive du Mont Blanc", Haût Savoir region  In France.  And this place is a White valley ( La Vallee Blanche - Chamonix ) the most beautiful region You must visit. I was very brave enough to carry my Medium format two lenses/ meters/ and a Canon EOS and a 50mm, a lot of films No tripod/ It is crazy when I thi

Michael Hiles

Bonjour Henri,   I still prefer black and white film (I use almost no colour). The advantages of digital don’t mean much to me. Seeing instant results is not so useful, since what comes out of a camera is always far from a final result, and the final result requires time and thought.   Film also continues to improve. The quality of available film and developers is as good as it has ever been, and it is still as competent as digital sensors of equivalent size.   I also much prefer silver g

helged

On a week-long stay at the Faroe Islands, I took the ferry from Torshavn (the 'capital') to the southernmost island, Suduroy, and looked up potential shooting locations on the island. This image was taken a little before the sun was setting in the ocean, with wind from the west (left). With the uplift of the humid air at the cliffs, fog and clouds drifted over the island. A quite typical situation for the islands; the ocean can be more or less cloud free, but the islands are generally covered in

Posted Images

I saw this one on Instagram earlier and felt wow, just wow. And here it's even better. Such a great shot, well done Steve.

On 2/15/2020 at 12:03 AM, sblitz said:

30 Rock, same equipment at above, in fact the same roll of film . . . 

Wonderful, James. You've inspired me to bring black and white film for next week's skiing.

On 2/15/2020 at 6:53 AM, Sparkassenkunde said:

Another winter shot from me today:

Ricoh GR1 - Tri-X

WOW look at those tones. Sublime. I don't know the PMK developer. Is it particularly fine-grained? This looks exceptionally clean and luscious.

On 2/15/2020 at 10:22 AM, Xícara de Café said:

Contax IIa, Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 5cm 1:2 collapsible, Ilford FP4+ 125 @ 100, PMK 1:2:100 8" 30' 24ºC.

Very nice with several different layers. I'm sure there's a gentleman in a fedora roaming the shore somewhere down there :D 

On 2/15/2020 at 12:34 PM, S/W said:

View to Manhattan

Leica M7 * Voigtländer VC 1.4/35 * Kodak TriX * Kodak HC 110 * Nikon Coolscan V ED

Very nicely done. I must try that film some time.

On 2/15/2020 at 2:28 PM, frame-it said:

Leica M5 + 50mm Summilux f1.4 ASPH + Lomochrome Metropolis

 

Excellent Marc, really dreamy.

On 2/15/2020 at 7:54 PM, benqui said:

Tmax 3200 (Iso 1600), M4, APO 50, X-Tol (1:1)Negative Lab Pro; now I think that I have found my fav combination with a Macro Adapter on a Apo 90 to convert the negatives into digital images: very pragmatic, fast and I like the results

Wow the summer feels far away as Storm Dennis is battering us here at the moment. This is a nice memory of it, love those tones.

19 hours ago, A miller said:

A memory from the surreal dead sea last summer just before sunrise.  l layered a couple of soft and medium ND grads to try to even out the exposure.   

Ektar, Technorama 617siii, 90mm Super Angulon XL

Haha this made me laugh out loud!

4 hours ago, Sparkassenkunde said:

Keep Freud alive, at least temporarily and by taking a coffee to go...

Ricoh GR1 - Tri-X

Truly wonderful Jörg!

48 minutes ago, J.Haarmann said:

 

 

 

Leica IIIf - Elmar 3,5/50 -TriX in D76

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Advertisement (gone after registration)

History Lessons
M-A APO 50 Fuji Natura & JCH StreetPan 400

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 2/14/2020 at 9:21 PM, philipus said:

Hi Duncan unfortunately the images are not shown because the links go to the pages and not the images themselves. I had a look and I think both are good. I even prefer the second one over the first

Thanks for taking the effort, Philip. It worked at the 2nd attempt, thankfully. Interestingly, the Instagram community also prefer the 2nd one too but I know that I can go back another day and easily take it again or do better - I think it needs a person in it. In contrast, what I love about the first is the character of the guy crossing the frame - he looks craggy and uncompromising; very evocative of the region. The most rewarding thing about street photography for me is finding strong, interesting characters...

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, nefarious said:

Thanks for taking the effort, Philip. It worked at the 2nd attempt, thankfully. Interestingly, the Instagram community also prefer the 2nd one too but I know that I can go back another day and easily take it again or do better - I think it needs a person in it. In contrast, what I love about the first is the character of the guy crossing the frame - he looks craggy and uncompromising; very evocative of the region. The most rewarding thing about street photography for me is finding strong, interesting characters...

That's interesting, Nefarious. I WAY prefer the first one, largely because it humanizes the cityscape in the way you've talked about above. I'm not sure social media "communities" are always the best way of evaluating your own photos. There is a reason that  you took (in this example) those two photos. The whole world may prefer one or the other but it is what YOU want to say that is important, because it's your work.

Link to post
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, stray cat said:

That's interesting, Nefarious. I WAY prefer the first one, largely because it humanizes the cityscape in the way you've talked about above. I'm not sure social media "communities" are always the best way of evaluating your own photos. There is a reason that  you took (in this example) those two photos. The whole world may prefer one or the other but it is what YOU want to say that is important, because it's your work.

Thanks for the feedback - I suspect that Instagram likes the 2nd one because it is immediately impactful - the arch of the bridge almost looks like it's taken in a fisheye and frames what's inside so is easy on the eye. Some photographs are the result of great skill, meticulous planning and manipulation, whereas, for me at least, when somebody just walks through your field of view (yes, with a well chosen backdrop) and you manage, through luck or skill, to be able to capture something of their character, there's almost no better feeling 

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, philipus said:

WOW look at those tones. Sublime. I don't know the PMK developer. Is it particularly fine-grained? This looks exceptionally clean and luscious.

Thanks a lot Philip. I like it very much and yes it does have a reputation for producing a great deal of detail, especially in the highlights. It is a staining developer and the stain is deposited in proportion to the amount of silver exposed on the negative. The stain has the effect of masking the silver grains by being deposited between them. One of the disadvantages of PMK and other developers with pyrogallol as the active ingredient, is that film speed is lost, particularly with higher iso film. Usually, it is recommended to shoot at half the box, so for Tri-x or HP5, shoot at 200. But for slower film the necessity in diminished, for example for FP4+ 125, you can shoot at 100 and for Delta 100, at 100. Also, acid solutions should not be used post-development. So you should not use an acidic stop bath as some people do, just water. An alkaline fixer is also recommended. I use Ilford rapid fix which is slightly acidic, but ok.

There's a good article on PMK and other pyro developers here: https://sandykingphotography.com/resources/technical-writing/pyro-staining-developers

Also on Flickr, the user radspix knows a lot about PMK. A nice fellow. I started using PMK after talking with him.

Edit: another advantage is its long shelf life, kept as it is in two separate solutions. It's extremely concentrated and economical. I use pipettes with a cheap pipette filler (plastic device with a thumb roller) to draw up the solutions. And dedicate one pipette for each solution to avoid risk of contamination.

Edited by Xícara de Café
Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Keith (M) said:

Have been somewhat digitally-distracted of late due to the arrival of (dare I admit this to this forum?) an M10M.  So much good work has been posted since I last browsed here!

Just received this morning scans from a (new to me) Lab - SilverPan Film Lab (based in Bristol).  Below is one result from last month's roll of Portra 400 taken in Lacock Abbey grounds with my H503CX.  

St Cyriac's church viewed from Lacock Abbey grounds.  (click to view in LightBox).

That’s just beautiful, Keith, and surprisingly detailed and nuanced in colour for a lab scan. I’ve seen a few of your monochrome shots and it is blindingly obvious that you’re enjoying the new arrival. It will be interesting to see how you go using film and digital, considering you’re getting stellar results from both.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Xícara de Café said:

Thanks a lot Philip. I like it very much and yes it does have a reputation for producing a great deal of detail, especially in the highlights. It is a staining developer and the stain is deposited in proportion to the amount of silver exposed on the negative. The stain has the effect of masking the silver grains by being deposited between them. One of the disadvantages of PMK and other developers with pyrogallol as the active ingredient, is that film speed is lost, particularly with higher iso film. Usually, it is recommended to shoot at half the box, so for Tri-x or HP5, shoot at 200. But for slower film the necessity in diminished, for example for FP4+ 125, you can shoot at 100 and for Delta 100, at 100. Also, acid solutions should not be used post-development. So you should not use an acidic stop bath as some people do, just water. An alkaline fixer is also recommended. I use Ilford rapid fix which is slightly acidic, but ok.

There's a good article on PMK and other pyro developers here: https://sandykingphotography.com/resources/technical-writing/pyro-staining-developers

Also on Flickr, the user radspix knows a lot about PMK. A nice fellow. I started using PMK after talking with him.

Edit: another advantage is its long shelf life, kept as it is in two separate solutions. It's extremely concentrated and economical. I use pipettes with a cheap pipette filler (plastic device with a thumb roller) to draw up the solutions. And dedicate one pipette for each solution to avoid risk of contamination.

Thanks for your explanation. I understand your fascination with this type of developer, having used Moersch Tanol and Finol for a few years. Indeed, grain and detail are both excellent. I did stop using these developers as the stain had a (brownish) colour cast that influenced the density meter for my enlarger, particularly as the colour cast was not uniformly predictable. Do you have a similar cast with your developer?

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, christoph_d said:

Thanks for your explanation. I understand your fascination with this type of developer, having used Moersch Tanol and Finol for a few years. Indeed, grain and detail are both excellent. I did stop using these developers as the stain had a (brownish) colour cast that influenced the density meter for my enlarger, particularly as the colour cast was not uniformly predictable. Do you have a similar cast with your developer?

Hi Christoph. Yes, a brown-green cast. I do make prints too but I'm a real novice at it and haven't done much printing since making the switch to PMK. I don't use a density meter. I have seen some articles and threads about printing with PMK negs. I don't remember much about them, but I remember that some people mentioning both advantages and disadvantages in relation to multi-grade and split-grade printing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, stray cat said:

That’s just beautiful, Keith, and surprisingly detailed and nuanced in colour for a lab scan. I’ve seen a few of your monochrome shots and it is blindingly obvious that you’re enjoying the new arrival. It will be interesting to see how you go using film and digital, considering you’re getting stellar results from both.

Thanks Phil, appreciated.  As to a balance between the M10 Monochrom and film use (M7, MP, R5) my thought currently are to maybe sell the MP (silver chrome a-la-carte with 0.58 VF and black saddle leather), retaining the others for colour film.  B&w film use will be with my H503CX  - indeed I recently added to my film stock with a delivery of ten rolls each of FP4+ and HP5+.  Decisions, decisions... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, philipus said:

Speaking of skiing, here's one from last year's adventures :D 


Flickr
80 Planar+32E Ektar X1

ha ha, love, Philip.  Did you use the PC Mutar for this 😂

 

4 hours ago, mdp said:

The bottom rail

MP Summicron 50/2 Delta 400 DDX

 

Adorable !! 

50 minutes ago, Keith (M) said:

A second frame from H503CX & Portra 400 (as per #67244).

 

wow, I am floored by this, Keith - bravo!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...