I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 5 Stunden schrieb Keith (M):

Thank you for the kind words, Klaus.  :)

When I first 'came back' to film I used Ilfosol but then fell foul of its relatively short shelf life once opened so switched to using Rodinal (no danger of oxidisation!).  In December, knowing that I would be shooting more film than normal and sufficient to use a bottle of Ilfosol before any danger of oxidisation setting in, I bought a bottle (currently just enough left in it for one more roll of 120).  Used it with Fomapan 100, Acros 100 & Tri-X with pleasing results.  

Thank you Keith for your guidance.. I'm only back to wet lab for a couple of months after some decades and try to establish an easy and reliable mode for developing films. Rodinal-an old acquaintance from my photographic youth --seems to be unbeatable regards shelf life and ease of handling-but the grain... 😮. So when I have  used up the bottles of Rodinal I´ll give Ilfosol a try..   I do hope the tariffs  to expect won't damage the EU-market for Ilford too much...

vor 4 Stunden schrieb philipus:

A close-up of the Holy Trinity Cathedral in central Tbilisi. I'm actually surprised that it's more or less sharp given how extremely windy that evening was. The cathedral is on a hilltop so the location is very exposed. I used the non-Carl Zeiss 2XE converter which I have seen people complain about online but it is a terrific piece of equipment for anyone with an electronic Hasselblad. It's always in my bag and turns the 80 Planar to a very capable 160/5.6 which is fine in most cases. Incidentally I have the Carl Zeiss 2x converter, too, and see no difference in sharpness, but interestingly they do render the grain a little bit differently.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Flickr
80 Planar FE+2XE Ektar X1

wonderful picture, Philip. The 80 Planar and your 2XE seem to be a good match indeed.   I've got a CZ 2XE-works very well with the FE 110 and 150.. but I never tried the X on the CF lenses.  BTW: Last year  I  read Nino Haratischvili´s " Das achte Leben" -- with your interest in Georgia you probably know it ? If not: must read, there  is an english version. Its a kind of "magic realism" epos,  spanning two WWs , 1 revolution and 6 generations--Tbilisi plays an important role. 

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Keith (M):

If I may, two more offerings from last Wed's visit to Lacock.  First the Red Lion (H503CX, Planar 80mm f2.8, Tri-X, Ilfosol 3)

Typical house on the Main Street.  M7, 35mm Summaron f2.8, Acros 100, Ilfosol 3.

Keith, you picture a very idyllic er...image of your homeland. Reminds me, I haven't been there for a long time... Is what you show " Middle England" ??   

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Suede:

Fresh out of the oven.   [Tri-X]

Suede, isn't that the bakers lady we met a couple of pages earlier ?  With her flip-flops, and her hair she wouldn't meet the "workers insurance cooperative"s regulations  ( if there is such a thing in France) Reminds me of the old joke: the germans abide, where the french interpret  the law... I forgot about the english...  😎.  Nice photo anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kl@usW. said:

Thank you Keith for your guidance.. I'm only back to wet lab for a couple of months after some decades and try to establish an easy and reliable mode for developing films. Rodinal-an old acquaintance from my photographic youth --seems to be unbeatable regards shelf life and ease of handling-but the grain... 😮. So when I have  used up the bottles of Rodinal I´ll give Ilfosol a try..   I do hope the tariffs  to expect won't damage the EU-market for Ilford too much...

Keith, you picture a very idyllic er...image of your homeland. Reminds me, I haven't been there for a long time... Is what you show " Middle England" ??   

Klaus, I'm sure Boris & Brussels will arrive at a mutually beneficial trade agreement.   Oh look, a flock of pigs flying over... ;)

Not 'Middle England" more a case of "National Trust England" as Lacock village is owned by them.  

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Kl@usW. said:

Suede, isn't that the bakers lady we met a couple of pages earlier ?  With her flip-flops, and her hair she wouldn't meet the "workers insurance cooperative"s regulations  ( if there is such a thing in France) Reminds me of the old joke: the germans abide, where the french interpret  the law... I forgot about the english...  😎.  Nice photo anyway. 

You are right, Klaus, it's indeed Lady Baker. I had been promising the Baker couple for some time that I'd pop in one fine day and take some pictures of them at work. I did so one summer morning, shooting a couple of rolls in one straight session.

Of course there are regulations in France....their outfit is in a remote village at the end of a valley and I suspect either nobody ever shows up to check on their operation or they "know" the right people. However, both Lord and Lady Baker turn out really nice bread and say it is "bio" – whatever that might mean. I have a feeling this "bio" thing might be the next gimmick to catch the fancy of people looking for better alternatives to industrially produced food. 

I didn't they were properly kitted either, so your comment is spot on. I'll post another pic where she takes time out for a smoko! ...and also their fly-catcher.   😄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/31/2020 at 5:06 PM, Kl@usW. said:

This really deserves to be studied carefully on a large screen--phantastic Adam ! 

I presume this is just another, normal day in NY ??!!

Thanks X2, Klaus.  And yes, these scenes are like low hanging fruit int he garden of eden :)

On 1/31/2020 at 5:38 PM, Keith (M) said:

Ancient beams. In the NT's Lacock village. H503CX, Planar 80mm, Tri-X, Ilfosol 3.

Click to view in Lightbox.

Excellent composition, Keith.  Bravo!

On 1/31/2020 at 6:03 PM, benqui said:

For me your best street photo ever Adam!

Thanks, Marc.  I think this photo has the widest disparity between other people's opinion of it and mine  😜

On 1/31/2020 at 10:20 PM, Ernest said:

Splash
M-A APO 50 Fuji Natura

Very clever, Rog.  Congrats  - love it.

On 1/31/2020 at 11:38 PM, SHenry said:

Leica R9 Camera, Angenieux 70-210 mm, Velvia 50 ISO, North Coast Lab

Wow this is stunning - Velvia 50 in its element 😍

On 2/1/2020 at 6:10 AM, Keith (M) said:

Fallen giant. M7, 35mm Summaron f2.8, Acros 100, Ilfosol 3.  Click to view in Lightbox.

Tones!!  Love it!

8 hours ago, philipus said:

A close-up of the Holy Trinity Cathedral in central Tbilisi. I'm actually surprised that it's more or less sharp given how extremely windy that evening was. The cathedral is on a hilltop so the location is very exposed. I used the non-Carl Zeiss 2XE converter which I have seen people complain about online but it is a terrific piece of equipment for anyone with an electronic Hasselblad. It's always in my bag and turns the 80 Planar to a very capable 160/5.6 which is fine in most cases. Incidentally I have the Carl Zeiss 2x converter, too, and see no difference in sharpness, but interestingly they do render the grain a little bit differently.

Flickr
80 Planar FE+2XE Ektar X1

So masterful, Philip.  Tell me, does the PC Mutar (which allows for rise and fall) work with the 2X PC converter on the 80mm?

• Thanks 1

Dear film friends, look at this system, it rolls the film, develops in monobath and voila! Seems too good to be true! I hope it is tho!

https://cinestillfilm.com/collections/labbox-d/products/labbox-daylight-developing-tank?variant=28877542653986

Good light! Patrick

Leica r, with really expired film.

• Like 19

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was busily scanning and digitizing old slides from the late 70s of China, Thailand, etc, and I realized how stupid I was being!

Why put a fairly permanent medium like slides or even film stock onto a temporary medium like digital??: It wont open in 5 years when weve done 3 iterations of Windows and other operating systems.  The scanning is slow as death and there are some advantages to LR processing etc, but now that I am out there taking film, Im looking at the whole frame for  comp, light, rule of thirds, diagonals, horizon level, etc before snapping. 

Question: how to store film media, slides, filmstrips, photos for maximal time?

Confetti No Go
M-A APO 50 ADOX Color Implosion & Fuji Natura & E100
I was entranced by the black hole, the mystery of it with a warning. I don't know.

• Like 15

Copenhagen

SL with 35 Summicron

XP2 Super

• Like 17
  • Haha 1

Angelo Caduto Pisa

SL with 90 Summicron XP-2 Super

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

At the salt flats of Kampot, Cambodia.   [FP4]

• Like 16

IIIf, Summicron 5cm 1:2 collapsible, Ilford FP4+ 125 @ 100, PMK 1:2:100 8"30' 24ºC.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

vor 12 Stunden schrieb Norman Peritore:

I was busily scanning and digitizing old slides from the late 70s of China, Thailand, etc, and I realized how stupid I was being!

Why put a fairly permanent medium like slides or even film stock onto a temporary medium like digital??: It wont open in 5 years when weve done 3 iterations of Windows and other operating systems.  The scanning is slow as death and there are some advantages to LR processing etc, but now that I am out there taking film, Im looking at the whole frame for  comp, light, rule of thirds, diagonals, horizon level, etc before snapping. 

Question: how to store film media, slides, filmstrips, photos for maximal time?

Hello Norman, welcome.

When moving my home a couple of years ago, I was confronted with the consequences of  snapping happily away for some decades... ending up with 30 k slides.... What I did, was to go through them, kill 2/3  and have the rest digitized... by a lab. Cost me a buck or two... and the outcome wasn't consistently good. Since I just  couldn't throw away the digitized slides, I'm still sitting on 6 large removal boxes and will have to go through a further triage... Apart from that, there is a collection of negatives of me and my father and my grandfather and some very early prints from before WW1. 

What I found about the storage: If you have slides in frames with glass--get them out. They will loose color and catch mould.  The films have survived the decades unharmed in their boxes, I just kept them dry on the same shelfs as my books.  

If you develop your film in your home lab, make sure they are  hypo´ed and watered sufficiently and dry before filed away. The negatives are safe in the usual  pouches; if paper then it should be acid free, there is a range of filing stuff available, for instance here: https://monochrom.com/en

Wrapped up: the printed photos should be boxed in special boxes made of acid free material. Same for the films, if the pouches are made of paper. All of it should be stored in a dry place. It doesn't matter if its cold or warm-but temperature shouldn't vary too much, otherwise you'll get condensation. And the stuff should be able to breathe. The greatest danger is fungus due to airtight, humid boxing. 

and one last thought: these conservational thoughts are a good moment to think about why we take photos...probably our offspring won't be interested in our artsy pictures...   the best we can do, is enjoy the action of taking photos, share them now  and have a look at them for yourself once in a while. 

K. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Keith, Klaus and Christoph, thank you heaps, I am very happy you like it. It was one of those moments where I was about to wrap up from the front of the cathedral and then realised that hang on, there's more to be shot here. Klaus thank you also for recommending that book. I actually know about it but have never read it. It's added to my list :) 

This one I accidentally underexposed a bit but it has a certain ominous feel to it that I like.

Flickr
40/4 CFE+PC Mutar Ektar X1
23 hours ago, Keith (M) said:

A stunning building, beautifully composed and lit!

18 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

BTW: Last year  I  read Nino Haratischvili´s " Das achte Leben" -- with your interest in Georgia you probably know it ? If not: must read, there  is an english version. Its a kind of "magic realism" epos,  spanning two WWs , 1 revolution and 6 generations--Tbilisi plays an important role.  

22 hours ago, christoph_d said:

A well chosen viewpoint, very impressive. 

Rgds

C.

This is funny, talk about unspontaneous street photography :) Very well caught on the sublime medium of film.

23 hours ago, S/W said:

NYC

- shoot -

Leica M7 * Voigtländer VC 1.4/35 * Kodak TriX * Kodak HC 110 * Nikon Coolscan V ED

Terrific Keith, esp. the second one. 

23 hours ago, Keith (M) said:

If I may, two more offerings from last Wed's visit to Lacock.  First the Red Lion (H503CX, Planar 80mm f2.8, Tri-X, Ilfosol 3)

Typical house on the Main Street.  M7, 35mm Summaron f2.8, Acros 100, Ilfosol 3.

I like it a lot, from the appealing composition with a mastery of the rule of thirds to the lovely tones, I mean just look at how the little leaves around the sun have been rendered. Amazing.

22 hours ago, serdor said:

Backlight

M6 - 35 Summicron III

Sterling Christoph, the cat's eye is the icing on the cake. Well done.

22 hours ago, christoph_d said:

Cat's best friend...

MP, 50, Kodak Vision 3 250D

Thank you Adam. The PC Mutar will shift 16mm for lenses between 40 and 80mm, and 8mm for 100mm lenses. It won't shift with longer lenses than that unfortunately. So an 80 Planar and the 2XE would be too long. 

15 hours ago, A miller said:

So masterful, Philip.  Tell me, does the PC Mutar (which allows for rise and fall) work with the 2X PC converter on the 80mm?

Lovely smooth tones here Patrick

15 hours ago, Norman Peritore said:

Dear film friends, look at this system, it rolls the film, develops in monobath and voila! Seems too good to be true! I hope it is tho!

https://cinestillfilm.com/collections/labbox-d/products/labbox-daylight-developing-tank?variant=28877542653986

Good light! Patrick

Leica r, with really expired film.

Spooky Rog, really spooky.

9 hours ago, Ernest said:

Confetti No Go
M-A APO 50 ADOX Color Implosion & Fuji Natura & E100
I was entranced by the black hole, the mystery of it with a warning. I don't know.

Wow the clarity of this image is amazing. Incidentally I am just now scanning some XP2 developed in HC-110 as per Chris's recipe. 

4 hours ago, gbealnz said:

Copenhagen

SL with 35 Summicron

XP2 Super

Haha that bird really adds to the picture, like a new take on Burri's picture from Sao Paolo :)

2 hours ago, Xícara de Café said:

IIIf, Summicron 5cm 1:2 collapsible, Ilford FP4+ 125 @ 100, PMK 1:2:100 8"30' 24ºC.

Edited by philipus
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Hasselblad 500 Foma 100 Leica I Leica II Leica SL Mot Schwarzlack

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1