I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

M6, 35mm CronASPH1, Fuji Reala

• Like 11

4 hours ago, philipus said:

Wonderful Keith. How would you say Ilfosol differs with Tri-X from say HC-110? This looks very crisp indeed.

Thanks, Philip.  It is only in the last month or so that I have switched to Ilfosol 3, for years before it has been strictly Rodinal, generally at 1:50.  Of the films (all 120) that I have so far processed in Ilfosol, I would say the most noticeable difference is the apparent reduction in grain in the the sky areas on Tri-X.

• Thanks 1

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Shlomo:

Nikon F3, Nikkor AiS, 35mm, 1.4. Cinestill 50.

Film, YES! 
Great picture - a true Shlomo :) 
All expenses going only towards buying your variety of film rolls ;) 

1 hour ago, stray cat said:

where old oil tanks go to die... 2019

nikonos V, Kodak 400

Waiting for some underwater pics Phil...😃

all best...

Oh, that's nice...Mt Martha beach?

Yes agree although i used to use my Nikonos 3 in the surf and loved it.  Or swimming in estuaries is beaut too.  Or those Indian festivals where everyone enjoys bombing dyes around, tomato throwing festivities in Italy...just the camera...long wash under a running tap.

Love the pic i recognize the bathing huts and coastal banksias from Port Phillip Bay...probably named after you, due to photographic excellence...🤔

Edited by david strachan
  • Haha 4

12 minutes ago, david strachan said:

Oh, that's nice...Mt Martha beach?

Yes agree although i used to use my Nikonos 3 in the surf and loved it.  Or swimming in estuaries is beaut to.  Or those Indian festivals that everyone enjoys bombing dyes around, tomato throwing festivities in Italy...just the camera...long wash under a running tap.

Love the pic i recognize the coastal banksias from Port Phillip Bay...probably named after you, due to photographic excellence...🤔

Ha! "Get your hand off it Daryl"! If only. No, not Mt Martha - that is our local beach here 10km further on in beautiful downtown McCrae. I think you have some pretty nice ones in Adelaide too, from memory 😎.

Yes the Nikonos is such an adaptable camera. Indestructible according to some, but I've a feeling I'll give THAT theory a bit of a shake. And a hell of a lot cheaper to replace than a Leica! I will be very tempted to take it snorkeling now that you've sown that idea in my mind...

Edited by stray cat
  • Haha 2

Fahrenheit
M-A APO 50 ADOX Color Implosion & Fuji Natura

• Like 13

41 minutes ago, Ernest said:

Fahrenheit
M-A APO 50 ADOX Color Implosion & Fuji Natura

This is INCENDIARY! Rog has rewritten the rules - throw away your rule books! Better still - BURN THEM! Mwahahaha! Fahrenheit 451, the temperature at which paper ignites - and our eyes melt! Who doesn't love the smell of NAPALM in the morning? No, dammit! Anytime! Ray Bradbury would Sing the Body Electric over this if he hadn't been CREMATED. And let's not forget his great aunty or whatever Mary who was tried at SALEM as a witch! What fate befell her?

Of course the theme music to this is "Fire" from 1968 by The Crazy World of Arthur Brown. Hahahahahaha! HeeHeeHeeHee.

Truth be told, I think we're all well over REAL fire, or at least I'm pretty sure we all are down here in Australia. But this work ignites our passions, and isn't that what art is?

Edited by stray cat
  • Haha 2

Cool, thanks heaps Adam. The rise feature is an obvious selling point for me. Time to hunt :)

14 hours ago, A miller said:

Ah, ok now I got it.  Several reasons, including:

1.  superior optics

2.  superior build

3.  lens shift adapter providing for rise and fall - this is HUGE and fuji doesn't have it.

4.  better ground glass and custom fit Schneider loop

5.  Dark slide (Fuji doesn't have a dark slide, so if you change lenses or otherwise want to separate the body and lens for transport you need to finish the roll.)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, philipus said:

I think it's great Nefarious, and that light on her face is simply amazing. You pressed the shutter at the perfect moment. And the lady in the background who turned around at that very moment (no doubt due to that massive mirror slap!) adds a really cool dimension to the photo. Btw, I'm impressed by that Lomography film, wow. And what's more, you have inspired me to use my Hasselblad more in the street, too, so thank you for that.

There's so much opinion on what street photography is and what it isn't. For instance, I read somewhere a while back that apparently it is not street photography to shoot people from behind. Well, uh, what? Eh, ok, but I humbly disagree. Street photography is whatever one decides that it is, which reminds me of what Humpty Dumpty said:

”When I use a word”, Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, ”it means just what I choose it to mean, neither more nor less.”
”The question is”, said Alice, ”whether you can make words mean so many different things.” 
”The question is”, said Humpty Dumpty, ”which is to be master – that’s all.”

So let us all just be masters of our own definition of street photography and be happy with that. I, for instance, think that one of the very best street photographers who ever walked the Earth was Saul Leiter and he most definitely didn't conform to any "rules" set by today's Instagram generations as to what street photography is or isn't. But he shot darn good pictures in the street.

Happy shooting :)

Philip 

Thanks for the kind words, Philip. Shooting a Hasselblad has one big advantage in street photography - most people have no idea what it is or what you're really pointing it at! I have tried mirror-up to reduce the noise but nobody has beaten me up for photographing them, yet! Here's an example of one of those attempts on Ilford Ortho Plus 80, zone focussing at about 3m:

I have now acquired a Bronica RF645, which has a near-silent leaf shutter but no results yet...

On the subject of "what is street photography?", I do agree with you that some people are very up-tight about it. I describe a lot of my images of buildings as "urban landscapes", which, I'm sure will offend another clique - when I say I'm learning street, for me, it's about people, largely candid images, and not staged or of a model or friend. The last thing I will do is question anyone else's definition though!!

• Like 13

Leica M5 + 50mm Summilux f1.4 ASPH + fuji ACROS II

• Like 14

• Like 15

• Like 7

• Like 12