I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 minutes ago, Kl@usW. said:

Shlomo, mysterious and very convincing. 

Thank You so much, Klaus, this is pretty much, what Japan is about: mysterious and very convincing! 😎❤️

Greetings from Berlin, Germany.

Cordially, Shlomo

Edited by Shlomo

11 minutes ago, gbealnz said:

They're bold those Velvia colours Phil. Nice.

Thanks Gary. We happen to be heading over your way in the merry month of May - finalizing now bookings for a week's stay on the Coromandel Peninsula en route back from America. I have a feeling some Velvia might find itself in the bag for that trip!

Just love that foal panorama of yours. Great expression, perfect composition, the space you give it courtesy of the wide viewing angle really works and the colours are sublime.

• Like 2

On 1/21/2020 at 8:08 PM, Ernest said:

Punctuation
Rolleiflex Planar f/2.8 E100

Very nice multi-dimensional image, Rog 👌

18 hours ago, stray cat said:

"color field" truck in a... er... field

nikonos v, 35mm, kodak gold 400

Love it, Phil.  Great color palette 👌

15 hours ago, Rennrocky said:

Leica II Nickel Elmar Kodak Gold Berlin Lietzensee

very lovely!

14 hours ago, Bateleur said:

More of Niky at Loučeň?

Hasselblad 501C - 60mm Distagon - Ilford FP4 - Scan from a print.

Awesome, Charles - Love these classic portraits.

13 hours ago, philipus said:

Well some shots don't really work out at all, by which I mean that once the film's been pulled out of the light-tight box, developed and scanned there's a jagged disconnect between the impression I had when I envisioned and composed the shot and what I see on the screen. Like this one. A blown-out building in New Rustavi, Georgia, which I thought would look really cool because of all the horizontal and vertical lines. But seeing it now, I'm not happy. I ought to have allowed for air on the sides and to let those diagonals there, which I only see now, breathe. And I should have lined up the verticals better with the PC Mutar (to obviate the need for Photoshop trickery), though I think it was raised to its maximum here so I would have had to move back but there was a building and a road and people, and there's sometimes just no competing with reality so one had better simply give up and move on. Some shots are not made to be made :wacko:

But as it is often said, to end this ramble on a slightly more positive note, those who live in the past or with the what could've beens are never happy, so I choose to embrace the suck and post it anyway :D

Flickr
40 Distagon CFE+PC Mutar Ektar X1

Well done, Philip.  The verticals look ok to me.  Very blinding lines and shapes.  Cool. 

12 hours ago, philipus said:

Beautiful Adam, amazing colour. Can I ask how you reasoned when going for that Technorama? You've whetted my panoramic appetite... I mean there's for instance that Fuji GX too for instance if one wants to stick to 120 film.

Be careful of the minefields if you go to that river though (!) I parked in one once in Bosnia, only realising later that it had been there (because of the craters in the ground), and it wasn't fun to realise how close to death one can get.

Thanks, Philip.  I only had the Technorama with me last summer besides my Leicas.  So I had to think "pano" the entire summer.  Both fun and challenging.  And I hear you on the landmines.  I need to tread carefully, obviously.  But hopefully they will pave a trail or two by the time summer comes...

6 hours ago, Xícara de Café said:

Contax IIa, Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 5cm 1:2 collapsible, Kodak Proimage 100.

Lovely light :)

5 hours ago, gbealnz said:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Really stunning, Gary.  Top top.  Wow.  Film?  Portra?

2 hours ago, Shlomo said:

Nikon F3, Nikkor AiS, 35mm, 1.4.

If you ask about the shadow of the fences . . . . . everything happens in Akasakamisuji Street, Daikanyama / Tokyo.

Very nice, Shlomo.  Cinestill?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

11 hours ago, ChiTown said:

Although I love film much better than digital, it's something I only appreciate in the finished product, in person. If the film is scanned and digitized it has no more flair or much of a difference that I can see. For that reason, I don't use film anymore. Doesn't make sense to shoot film, just to turn it into a digital scan to me. If a gallery wanted a series of my work, I would open the 4x5 film camera back up shoot  and develop it.

There is no way that you are serious.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, stray cat said:

no go 2019

m6ttl, 50mm, velvia

Wow! This must be 3-D day! Between you and Gary, the notion of perspective marches squarely front and center. Erwin Panofsky in Perspective as Symbolic Form adopts Durer’s concept that perspectiva, according to the Latin word, means “seeing through.” To paraphrase Panofsky, a perspectival view of space transforms the entire picture into a ”window,” leading us to believe “we are looking through this window into a space.” Gary’s ”Horses” actually deconstructs the window concept by drawing the viewer into the scene with controlled depth of focus. “No go 2019,” on the other hand, emphasizes the ”window” with two frames, actually: the camera frame and, secondly, the frame created by hole in the blue Barrier. Phil, I applaud your photographic construction of the construction site. The contemporary revisioning of Renaissance perspective. 

Edited by Ernest
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, A miller said:

This past Sunday, I used up a VIP ticket that I bought to the observatory deck of Rockefeller Center two years ago and never used (i.e., I finally got off of my ass 😂).

Rather than do what I usually do, which is to bring my "clamp pod" that holds the camera still by clamping the leg-less trip pod to a railing, I foolishly and brashly brought my Gizto tripod.  I got away with some shots but had to pay off the security guards to keep them off of my back (and also keep the legs collapsed when I wasn't taking exposures.  A real pain in the ass.

Anyway, we some good light as sunset came and the ESB lights turned on. 😍

Ektar, Technorama 617siii, 180mm APO Symmar

Seriously, incandescent.

• Thanks 1

Steel No. 7
M-A APO 50 ADOX Color Implosion & E100

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Ernest said:

Seriously, incandescent.

Cheers, Rog.  It always breaks my back to get up and down that building :)  

12 minutes ago, Ernest said:

Steel No. 7
M-A APO 50 ADOX Color Implosion & E100

Wow, you are really milking that Adox stash like a rock star - impressive!

• Haha 1

Got a tinge to my eye, magenta perhaps, but I could hear someone saying "uncorrected" so didn't muck with it too much.

It was you I could hear a while back suggesting shooting old film was counter-productive, and I agree with you, once the Vista is cut I'm into my Portra stash, with more to be purchased for the Europe trip this year.

Gorgeous sunset shot from the Rockerfeller too.

Gary

• Like 1

13 hours ago, gbealnz said:

Gary, this photo lingers in my memory, the harmony of the composition, particularly the interplay of the elements and the innovative use of the panorama format. I hope it stays with me for a long time to stir my senses. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ChiTown said:

Although I love film much better than digital, it's something I only appreciate in the finished product, in person. If the film is scanned and digitized it has no more flair or much of a difference that I can see. For that reason, I don't use film anymore. Doesn't make sense to shoot film, just to turn it into a digital scan to me. If a gallery wanted a series of my work, I would open the 4x5 film camera back up shoot  and develop it.

I think you need to go and have a lie down somewhere quiet.

• Haha 7

Leica M5 + 50mm Summilux f1.4 ASPH + fuji ACROS II

Edited by frame-it
  • Like 13
  • Haha 3

Leica M5 + 50mm Summilux f1.4 ASPH + fuji ACROS II

Edited by frame-it
  • Like 18